#451994 - 05/15/18 11:21 AM 1 man band review from this to this
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
fun to play
can download and set up separate folders for styles
instead of 1 intro/ending button now have 3
instead of 2 variations , now have 4 with fills
seperate volume control of drums, bass, acc, melody line
I can also preset my favorite instruments.
can edit names of styles,folders,instruments and copy ,paste,save in new folders.
Would I use it on stage? no . this is what I found. maybe its just me.
1. sometimes the styles wont load properly giving me improper drums or no drums,then sometimes works
2. there is no way to mix the individual instruments in the acc then save. that I know of. but ithink jos said that he might add this in later upgrades. I have that feature in the pc version.
3. sometimes the app locks up.
3. since I have a korg pa600 that does all of this plus built in touch screen and a lot more , I would rather use it on stage. but that's comparing hardware to software .
but still this is an impressive app. a few more tweaks will open up the doors for those that cant afford a nice arranger and introduce those who want to explore the possibilities of arranger playing.

Attachments
psr ew400 screen.JPG (51 downloads)
ipad screen.JPG

#451995 - 05/15/18 11:25 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: wrinkles303]
wrinkles303 Offline

screen of Yamaha psr ew 400

Attachments
psr ew400 screen.JPG (65 downloads)

#451997 - 05/15/18 11:36 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: wrinkles303]
wrinkles303 Offline

on the other hand, time you pay for a ipad, keyboard , and the app, you could buy a decent arranger. or at least entry level.

#452016 - 05/16/18 10:56 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: wrinkles303]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
When switching from the Pa4X to the Genos, I used an iPad to launch tracks. After 2 weeks, I added a mixer to control only the iPad volume. The digital slider didn’t do the trick in a live performance... a physical knob is needed. An iPad solution is a nice idea but there are many layers of accessories that need to be added.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#452017 - 05/16/18 11:05 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: shueymusic]
wrinkles303 Offline

that's why I decided not to pursue the ipad idea. my korg keeps it simple. but like I said it is fun to play around with the idea of a ipad arranger control system. the roland bk partner for bk5 and bk3 is very simular. I had that with my bk5 , it was nice.

#452034 - 05/16/18 09:58 PM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: wrinkles303]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
Haven’t tried the iPad version. Did use the pc version to turn my yamaha clp150 piano into an arranger a few years back. Worked quite well actually, the piano had the xg soun set, OMB supplied the styles.

Actually might try hooking it up to my Pa4x , it has xg sounds. Might make selling my psr a bit easier to take.

Edited by rikkisbears (05/16/18 10:02 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#453507 - 06/14/18 10:17 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: wrinkles303]
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I had previously downloaded the demo iPad version but hadn't had a chance to try it then. Last week I was out of town visiting relatives in Toronto and was asked to play music at a large family party. They had a Roland FP-60 for me to use, but I figured I'd be able to add the accompaniment with the OMB. When I connected it with USB-MIDI, I experienced an issue with latency, which seemed to be over half a second. A bigger issue was that the OMB would play half-tone higher than the keys I press on the keyboard, e.g. if I press a E chord, the OMB plays F-chord, or playing a D would produce a D# sound from the OMB.

I emailed Jos Maas, and he kindly replied to me with suggestions to try to reduce the latency. However, he said that the half-tone issue would be fixed in a software update later this month (which wouldn't be soon enough for me).

I ended up playing piano-only (realizing how rusty I was, but also seeing how much improvement a week of practice can bring), to very positive feedback.

Since I already have an iPad, the OMB software is a very small incremental cost and a useful tool to add accompaniments when solo playing accompaniment-less instruments, or as a portable system with a small controller. I will be looking forward to buying the updated version with the semi-tone issue fixed.

#453510 - 06/14/18 10:45 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: wrinkles303]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I currently use 1manband 12.1 with a Roland Go Keys..as the controller and sound source...This runs on my PC laptop with Asio4all drivers..

No latency problems.. I also have the factory Tyros styles 1,2,3,4, and 5..Also some converted Genos styles.. G70 factory styles are also in my library..

This system works in a pinch.. and yes a dedicated arranger keyboard most times is better.. but if you have a favorite synth or piano... 1manband works well at a very reasonable price..

Can the ipad users use asio4all drivers? the latency is the ipad fault not 1manband..
You can also just use 1manband as a drum machine...latency will not be a factor..

#453512 - 06/14/18 10:47 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

You can also just use 1manband as a drum machine...latency will not be a factor..

I was just about to say that!

#453515 - 06/14/18 11:17 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: wrinkles303]
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I was thinking of using OMB as a drum machine, but the built-in styles' drum tracks were rather simplistic, and I did not want to start messing with them, considering that I was short on time, and the end result would still be less than what I would have liked.

#453557 - 06/15/18 10:25 AM Re: 1 man band review from this to this [Re: wrinkles303]
wrinkles303 Offline

got the update:
im not hearing any latency, the semi tone issue is fix, he added a mixer to mix ch 9-16 and save. good job! now i might consider using this on stage with a little practice. still my pa 600 rules for my primary keyboard. this is nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online