SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#45179 - 05/01/03 06:05 AM Techni-chord 'problem'?
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi fellow forummers,
situation: I play with Techni-chord on ON and with my right hand I hold a key. Then I change a chord on my left hand (while holding the right key) you hear an 'unwanted' chord-sound, each time you change the chord.
I know it has always been so, but I wonder if that can be avoid? Is it the way of playing (in that fact I could understand and have to accept it ) or is there a 'technical' trick/ setting to avoid that or we have to live with this 'problem'?
Best regards,
Cees

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 05-01-2003).]

#45180 - 05/01/03 06:53 AM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Cees,

I use Techni-chord a lot when I play. I have never heard a discordant sound when changing chords while holding a note with the right hand except when the note being held is foreign to the chord. I just now sat down at the keyboard to experiment a little and using the note "C" in the right hand, played Cmajor, Dminor, D7, Ebmajor, Fmajor, Gminor, Aminor and never heard a discord. When I played Db7, Eminor, and other chords in which the note "C" is foreign to the chord, a discord occurred. I've never had a problem with Techni-chord. Are you saying you have a problem with your keyboard?

Chuck

#45181 - 05/01/03 07:17 AM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
cees Offline

Hi Chuck,
I checked it out again. I did the following thing: Iniatialized the keyboard. Set ON Auto Play Chord and Techni-chord. Start playing: in this case with C in left hand (and hold constantly down the C-key in the right hand). Than change in left to G, F, A or whatever.
Doing that I hear that unwanted chord-sound every time I change to a new chord ??
Cees

#45182 - 05/01/03 07:34 AM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Cees,
What technichord setting are you using? Block, BB Brass, Duet, or what? This might make a difference.
Regards,
Walt

#45183 - 05/01/03 09:52 AM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Cees,

I'm not sure I understand your problem. I don't know what it is you're hearing. I initialized my board, activated APC and set Techni-chord to "Block", held down the "C" key with the right hand and changed to various chords with the left hand. The only discords I hear are those where "C" is foreign to the chord and that is as it should be i.e., Techni-chord is providing the correct harmony when the note "C" is part of the chord structure. Are you hearing a "noise" while changing chords, for example a "click" or something like that, or is the harmony incorrect? As Walt has asked, what Techni-chord setting are you using?

Chuck

#45184 - 05/01/03 10:35 AM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Re-reading Cees first post He is not referring to a dischord but to an unwanted chord or single note, when holding down a right hand note when using technichord, and at the same time changing the left hand chord. This only seems to occur if you have a percussive right hand sound, eg piano, and it's abit of a nuisance. If using a non percussive sound eg strings, brass, you just get a smooth transition to the next chord from the "upper" manual when changing the left hand chord. Am I right Cees?

I think I've experienced this on all 3 technics keyboards I've had over the years, and in the GEM wx model. Can't positively re-call if Yamaha also did it (PSR8000) but I think it did.

Just have to get used to it...

Ogre

#45185 - 05/01/03 12:57 PM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I experienced this many times. In my case,I found I had a bad habit of resting my left hand on the chord and being a tad early in my chord change to suit technicord. This depended somewhat on which technicord mode I was in. I found that I couldn't be as sloppy in chord changes with technicord. Also, try lifting your left hand off the chord notes as your coming into your next chord. It worked for me,anyway.

#45186 - 05/01/03 01:05 PM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
Walt Meyer Offline

Ogre, Chuck, & Cees,
Cees, I wonder if this is what you are hearing? Select an R1 voice that decays, but not all the way. The Alto Sax Soloist is a voice that will demonstrate what I am talking about. Set technichord to Big Band Reed. Hold down C in the right hand and go from C chord to Dm7 to F to F7 and back to C.
You will hear a quite loud extra harmony note produced by technichord. This occurs because as you change chords, the harmony notes produced by technichord change and sound in the R1 voice, as it is supposed to do. The problem here is that the original C note that you are holding has decayed and is very soft, but each new note of the technichord structure is sounded in full and then decays just like the Sax voice should. Since the original C has decayed to almost nothing, you only hear the new (unwanted?) note.
Is this what you are hearing? I can't hear anything else unusual happening.

Walt

#45187 - 05/01/03 02:49 PM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
cees Offline

Hi Walt,
I did precisely what you wrote, and you are quite right. That is exactly what I hear. Accordingly also to the replies of Ogre, Bernie and Chuck it seems to be a part of the techni-chord technique and the way of playing/handle this. Am I right?
I'm glad it is not a technical 'bug' in my machine. Thank you all for your kind and helpfull answers and as Ogre said: ..just have to get used to it .. and handle it with care
Cees

#45188 - 05/01/03 04:05 PM Re: Techni-chord 'problem'?
Walt Meyer Offline

Hi Cees,
I'm glad we settled that and it is not a defect in your keyboard. As Ogre suggested, it's only noticed on percussive or decaying type voices and usually sounds like a moving counter melody, so it's seldom offensive.
On the other hand,the condition that Bernie described can really sound bad but is easily cured by paying careful attention to timing with the automatic rhythm.
The best to you,
Walt

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online