SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#451854 - 05/12/18 04:48 PM Bose S1 'trick' to change EQ setting
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I discovered a "trick" that lets you bypass (or more correctly, to set to a specific setting) the built-in "positional" EQ. There is a physical switch inside the tube/hole for speaker stands. If you (for example) have the S1 in "stage monitor"/"stage wedge" position, the positional EQ seems to lower the bass by a good amount. It may even alter the mids/highs a bit. If you put your finger in and press that little switch, the sound suddenly has more bass. It goes to the "on-a-speaker-stand" EQ setting, even though the speaker may be on its side etc.

So, I might cut a short piece of speaker-stand-diameter tubing, that I can stuff into the hole, for when I want to use the speaker in a position of my choice, but I want the EQ setting for "I'm on a speaker stand" ... seems to work!

Jim

#451868 - 05/13/18 06:31 AM Re: Bose S1 'trick' to change EQ setting [Re: jimlaing]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jim, I watched a video where the guy used his Bose s1 as a monitor and found that if he placed the speaker at 90 degrees to the floor,(on it's side) instead of tilting it back.. the bass response increased..

#451891 - 05/13/18 12:48 PM Re: Bose S1 'trick' to change EQ setting [Re: jimlaing]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Is the problem to much bass or not enough bass??
Deane

#451901 - 05/13/18 02:48 PM Re: Bose S1 'trick' to change EQ setting [Re: hammer]
jimlaing Offline

Hi - I think its more a matter of wanting more control over the EQ. For those that are not familiar with the Bose S1, it has a built-in "positional EQ" where it detects whether it is on flat (such as on a table), on it side ("monitor" position), tilted back, or on a speaker stand. It has 4 different EQs for each of these positions.

On the "monitor" mode (like a stage wedge position), the EQ automatically reduces the amount of bass. My note was about if you want that bass, you can bypass the positional EQ by doing something that presses the sensor switch inside the speaker-pole hole in the S1.

Jim

#451904 - 05/13/18 03:18 PM Re: Bose S1 'trick' to change EQ setting [Re: jimlaing]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Seems like this technological advance is an example of one that doesn't make something better. Four manual settings would do rather than automatic..

#451952 - 05/14/18 11:09 AM Re: Bose S1 'trick' to change EQ setting [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Agreed - I'd rather just be able to select which setting I want (or turn the adjusted EQ to "off" or "flat" if I want too).

Jim

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online