SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#451524 - 05/04/18 08:35 AM Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
This may shock some of you, but this is the first Bose product that probably won't find it's way into my lineup. I WANTED to like it, and I sorta do ... I just don't like the auto EQ that changes with orientation. My thought was to use this in monitor position at the club facing me, and my guest performers, or for NH facilities.
The bass drops off too much to satisfy me, when it's on it's side. If I was using just a guitar and vocal, I might reconsider, but the overall tone change was to much to keep my interest.
A question to those who use it (them):
Are you plugging your kb into the XLR combo jacks? Perhaps using EQ to restore what is taken away might be an option, but my plan was for single jobs, using the bluetooth for my ipad, and my guitar and voice in the other channels. That leaves my tracks sounding thin.
Any advice from satisfied users?

#451526 - 05/04/18 08:42 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Here's my current NH rig ... the speaker fits in the box, it's on wheels, the ipad stand came from 5 Below, and the bottom of the box has a custom wiring harness with a wireless mic receiver, and all power for the ipad and speaker (which can also be battery powered)
I was hoping the Bose had more punch, but it did not.
It's literally a ONE minute setup. Two, if I bring banjo, or guitar.

*** This pic has a wired mic, but I normally use the wireless.

Attachments
IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7239.jpg

#451527 - 05/04/18 08:48 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Here's my current NH rig ... the speaker fits in the box, it's on wheels, the ipad stand came from 5 Below, and the bottom of the box has a custom wiring harness with a wireless mic receiver, and all power for the ipad and speaker (which can also be battery powered)

Looks kool & compact for small NH rooms but...
Where's the KORG keyboard? confused1

Edited by Dnj (05/04/18 08:57 AM)

#451528 - 05/04/18 09:00 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Some of the many comments I read about the Bose S1 that I decided to pass.... Purchased the Marantz Professional Voice Rover, instead..

I like it!!!!

#451531 - 05/04/18 09:31 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

I stopped bringing a KB. It's just not worth it (to me) for an hour show. It's more setup, more bulk in the room, longer time frame, and no difference in the show's potential to entertain. I often bring a banjo, and I plan to bring my sax and clarinet on special occasions, but the simple truth is - the show is, and always was ... my voice, and my read of the crowd. I can do just as good as a front man. If there is a piano in the room, I'll run over and play a spotlight number on it, but I have seen no down side to my lightening of the load. Audiences love it, and the STAFF especially loves how quick I can set up/tear down. When summer starts, I'll be playing 7 nights a week, so I don't need to set up that gear any more than absolutely necessary! smile

#451532 - 05/04/18 09:34 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Some of the many comments I read about the Bose S1 that I decided to pass....

I think the niche market is guitar vocalists in small venues ... like coffee houses, and speeches, and background music. It's probably great in those settings, but I don't believe it was ever intended to offer a scaled down version of the Compact. I think I'd use it for acoustic guitar, but I doubt that I could justify it as a legit KB setup.

#451533 - 05/04/18 09:43 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
If the Bose S1 had an auto EQ bypass... then it would be good for keyboardists! Unless, after it does its thing, you add the EQ you are missing with a 7 or 10 band EQ pedal. Will the Bose adapt the EQ again? Or is it just a setting it goes to when laid in the monitor position?!?
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#451534 - 05/04/18 10:00 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

I stopped bringing a KB. It's just not worth it (to me) for an hour show.

Hmmm, someone with the guts to say it. And yet, some who do 1 hr. NH gigs exclusively, spend 3-5000.00 and tons of hours of preparation and setup to do basically the same job. Why? For 3 and 4hr CC/Bar/Restaurant/event/Festival gigs, sure, I can see it, but if SINGING is your main 'thing', for a 1 hr. NH gig, how does this make sense? In most of the cases I've seen, the AKB is little more than a playback machine, with very little 'playing' going on. Some people (like ME) would feel very insecure without some kind of 'prop' such as a keyboard, and some would view it as karaoke without a playable instrument involved. Still, UD is the first and only one I've ever heard state clearly and without apology, that for these 1hr NH gigs, a 5k keyboard is "just not worth it". He DID state that he only meant 'for himself'. In the words of the great DNJ, "thoughts?".

chas

#451537 - 05/04/18 01:11 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I work as a soloist with my keyboard, and also with a female vocalist using backing tracks ... the duo gigs are all booked by her ...
When I work solo, I use mostly styles 'live', and during 99% of the songs I perform, I play at least one instrumental verse using any of the appropriate voices on the board ... when I work with the female vocalist, I have no problem being a 'front man', except during the instrumental parts of the backing tracks - I don't quite know what to do - ... I'm not a 'dancer' so that's out of the question ... sometimes I will engage in a little patter or tell a story about the song I'm performing ... My vocals (although not as good as Dave's) are also the main part of my performance, but I don't know if I could do a whole hour with using the keyboard ... Yes, it can be a bit much for a one hour gig, but it's what I do ...

#451538 - 05/04/18 01:36 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I get paid more than I think I'm worth to sing, but I would not be comfortable without a guitar or keyboard.

My perception is, I'm a musician, not an entertainer or singer.

Next week, I'll be singing a regional score for a pizza company all of you know about. It's for an internal training film.

It's part of the job, but I'd rather not do it.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (05/04/18 01:39 PM)

#451539 - 05/04/18 01:49 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Tony
Did you mean to say "whole hour WITHOUT using the keyboard? If you,I am in the same boat unless it is a quick NH and I sometimes put my SD40 on a stand and sing over midi or CDG songs.

#451541 - 05/04/18 02:08 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

I stopped bringing a KB. It's just not worth it (to me) for an hour show. It's more setup, more bulk in the room, longer time frame, and no difference in the show's potential to entertain. I often bring a banjo, and I plan to bring my sax and clarinet on special occasions, but the simple truth is - the show is, and always was ... my voice, and my read of the crowd. I can do just as good as a front man. If there is a piano in the room, I'll run over and play a spotlight number on it, but I have seen no down side to my lightening of the load. Audiences love it, and the STAFF especially loves how quick I can set up/tear down. When summer starts, I'll be playing 7 nights a week, so I don't need to set up that gear any more than absolutely necessary! smile

Sorry to hear that your not playing keyboard at NH shows anymore...but if its working without so be it....times are changing ....what do you use for backing tracks to sing with?

#451542 - 05/04/18 02:10 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I work as a soloist with my keyboard, and also with a female vocalist using backing tracks ... the duo gigs are all booked by her ...
When I work solo, I use mostly styles 'live', and during 99% of the songs I perform, I play at least one instrumental verse using any of the appropriate voices on the board ... when I work with the female vocalist, I have no problem being a 'front man', except during the instrumental parts of the backing tracks - I don't quite know what to do - ... I'm not a 'dancer' so that's out of the question ... sometimes I will engage in a little patter or tell a story about the song I'm performing ... My vocals (although not as good as Dave's) are also the main part of my performance, but I don't know if I could do a whole hour with using the keyboard ... Yes, it can be a bit much for a one hour gig, but it's what I do ...

Tony try some percussion pieces during solos tambourine, shaker, cowbell, etc,.....or go into the audience and shmoooze..

#451545 - 05/04/18 02:42 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

The S1 was a disappointment to me. I bought two, put them on poles and they had absolutely no bottom, at least for my full blown arrangements. Back to the QSCs and wow!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#451548 - 05/04/18 04:37 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Bernie ... Yes, I meant withOUT ... thanks for the correction ...

Donny ... yes, I should try that ... I could bring some kind of percussion - the only thing I take to the duo gigs is my mic ... singer

#451549 - 05/04/18 04:41 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Sorry to hear that your not playing keyboard at NH shows anymore...but if its working without so be it....times are changing ....what do you use for backing tracks to sing with?

I was going to ask the same question ... also, do you go back and forth to the iPAD to call up the next song?

Edited by tony mads usa (05/04/18 04:41 PM)

#451555 - 05/04/18 05:37 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Bernie ... Yes, I meant withOUT ... thanks for the correction ...

Donny ... yes, I should try that ... I could bring some kind of percussion - the only thing I take to the duo gigs is my mic ... singer

A nice Gym bag will hold all kinds of percussion goodies for sure Tony ..."SHAKE IT UP BABY"

#451573 - 05/05/18 06:14 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
midisqueeze Offline

Loc: New York
Outstanding setup Dave!!! I'm always thinking of ways to be more efficient. This certainly qualifies. I was surprised to see that "box" take the weight of that speaker, but apparently it's much stronger than it looks. I have been seriously looking at the Bose S1-Pro to replace my JBL Eon615 (twice the weight) I'm using on my Friday night gig in a smaller Italian restaurant/bar venue. Your post has given me something to think about. Thank you!!!

#451605 - 05/06/18 06:42 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Dave

Neat set up, similar to mine which use's a short mic stand, tablet on top and a TC Helicon Singthing which is a combination of the Play Acoustic and the FX150, works brilliantly.

Col

Attachments
IMGP0022.JPG (27 downloads)
IMGP0023.JPG (20 downloads)

#451624 - 05/06/18 08:42 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

That "box" is as strong as can be! It's got reinforced sides, and wheels. It came with an internal shelf/box that rests about 2/3 of the way towards the top, but I don't use it. As for my tracks ... I have ooodles of choices. Things I've made, things I've modified, things I've paid for ... there are almost too many options. I've been recording kb/vox backing tracks for over 25 years, so I could play guitar with "me". smile

#451693 - 05/08/18 12:31 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I have an S1 and have used it for a couple of small gigs; it's not the same as my Nano 600 or FBT Maxx40a's, but it's decent for smaller rooms / audiences.

A trick that I want to try, is to cut a length of tubing of the right diameter (speaker stand size) and stick it up in the hole (sorry for the graphic language here) since there is a pressure switch up in there (I can feel/hear this switch physically when I put fingers up there and press on it). Then, maybe, I can put the speaker in any orientation, and hopefully this pressure switch will cause the EQ-setting circuitry to ignore actual/physical orientation; the speaker will "think" that it's on a speaker stand (maybe).

This *may* set the EQ to be the "On A Stand" EQ, which will have more bass. I'm hoping that this is a way to bypass the "EQ-based-on-position" thing. I'll report back when I'm able to give this a try ...

Jim

#451699 - 05/08/18 07:09 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

OOOOOOH! Brilliant discovery - let me know after you test it on it's side! That's be awesome if it disables the auto EQ setting.

#451713 - 05/09/18 07:03 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have used a pair of S1’s for about 10 gigs now....medium sized rooms, 60 people or less, on poles. This is my go to rig now for solo gigs. With my wife, I still use my Eon One so I don’t have to haul an extra mixer.

I’ve asked for feedback from AD’s about sound...all comments have been very positive. Many have commented on how balanced the volume is from the front of the room to the back...they really like that.

It appears that placing S1’s on poles gives a more flat response with plenty of bass.

Also, the ease of setup..so light...piece of cake for me....even with the hip problem I have. Everything else speaker wise that I have now seems a chore to haul.

To me, the speaker thing is about finding something that works for the performer and the audience...and obviously, there are lots of recipes for that.

Edited by guitpic1 (05/09/18 07:04 AM)

#451807 - 05/12/18 05:08 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
S1 is sold with battery now. Same price.

Edited by guitpic1 (05/12/18 05:09 AM)

#451810 - 05/12/18 05:48 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

I am not sure what size NH jobs you all play, but some I play are huge, with big crowds. If I didn't have my full blown keyboard, stereo QSCs, I'd be lost in a big room with little gear.

My setup is 10 minutes, done! Had to do it twice yesterday. I have (6) total pieces - a breeze and total band sound.

I thought about singing with a small rig, but everyone does that. I am rare with the one man band act and will do it - just for the residents.

UD - I'm going to try the mic through the L/R signal and eliminate the extra wires - see how well I can control mic volume.

Edited by zuki (05/12/18 05:50 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#451811 - 05/12/18 06:10 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Mic volume for a LIVE singer is very important and must be monitored & adjusted accordingly thru-out a song if needed to adapt to a song. Korg does this very well with separate on-board controls so does my Roland Ea7 with a dedicated MIC vol knob too..

Edited by Dnj (05/12/18 06:45 AM)

#451812 - 05/12/18 06:35 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By zuki

UD - I'm going to try the mic through the L/R signal and eliminate the extra wires - see how well I can control mic volume.

There will be no difference in tone or effects. The only possible hiccup will be that if you raise the master volume level, keys and vox will raise together. In most cases, this is desired, but if you need to adjust one, without the other - there are dedicated knobs that can do this on the face of the keyboard. The only scenario in which I'd use the separate outs would be if I needed to EQ or add effects outboard. Since you run into a flat input that is summed with the other inputs, I see no advantage at all. You be the judge, but Korg has so much processing power built in - I think you'll be fine with just a direct line out from the KB.

#451817 - 05/12/18 07:42 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, I agree with Dave. As usual.

#451820 - 05/12/18 08:00 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I ran my mic through the keyboard for more years than I can remember - never had a problem. And, usually, once I had everything balanced between mic and styles I never had to touch the volume at all.

Now, I used the Bose L1 Compact, and there was never a nursing home or retirement community that I could not cover. additionally, I didn't need a monitor with the L1 Compact - I heard exactly what the audience heard and at the same volume. smile Every piece of gear was lightweight and setup took 7 minutes if I took my time.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#451825 - 05/12/18 10:10 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

I wish I could get used to a single pole setup. Sometimes, it is way overkill to carry 80 lbs and another 20 lbs of pole, etc.

We've kicked mono/stereo around forever. Maybe one day I'll try one of the line array systems. (It seems though all who promote this, end up going with (2) units).

#451826 - 05/12/18 10:16 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
cgiles Offline

it is way overkill to carry ..... 20 lbs of pole

We can only imagine smile smile.

chas

#451828 - 05/12/18 10:37 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Mine isn't much bigger around than a beer can, but it IS pretty long. Which way is South? smile

#451829 - 05/12/18 10:47 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Let's come North again smile

Has anyone had experience with the Bose F1 array (by itself, not with the sub either). Also, it has stereo inputs. Would this be a more advisable way to hook up the keyboard, or just go 1/4" into both lines in, or just a single line in?

Interesting way to lighten the load.

#451833 - 05/12/18 11:21 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

(It seems though all who promote this, end up going with (2) units).

... not ALL! smile
The stereo sound from my on board speakers, and the mono coverage from the Bose tower has been all I need for many years. I've said before, having 2 Compacts can actually have a negative effect in some settings. They need room to spread. If they are placed too close to each other, you get cancellations, and dead spots. Placement is critical, if you want to use two arrays.

#451836 - 05/12/18 11:36 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Not all! Bad on my part, good catch smile

I have my QSCs only 15" apart on a dual pole mount and was told that wasn't a good idea for separation. Well, if I can get the same sound I currently hear out on one unit, such as a quality F1, then I'd go for it.

I do miss the PA800 speakers (best speakers ever) I grew real fond of. Even considered an old 800 (loved that board, even though I replaced two screens. Korg paid for them.

#451839 - 05/12/18 12:07 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

I wish I could get used to a single pole setup. Sometimes, it is way overkill to carry 80 lbs and another 20 lbs of pole, etc.

We've kicked mono/stereo around forever. Maybe one day I'll try one of the line array systems. (It seems though all who promote this, end up going with (2) units).

Jim, the only time I needed to use a pair of L1 compacts was when I had a large, loud, party, 250 to 300 noisy drunks. Most of the time, a single L1 worked fantastic for me, and most of the others on this and other sites that performed with them.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#451840 - 05/12/18 12:08 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Zuki two Maui 5s work well... Lightweight, great sound..

#451843 - 05/12/18 12:48 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Set up and play with one line array speaker. Then set a second one up with it. Place them where you can hear one out of each ear.
I'm betting you won't want to play with only one again. BTW this applies to traditional speakers too.
Arrangers are designed to be heard in stereo. Audiences deserve to hear you at your best.
There is the old argument that the audience can't tell the difference. I disagree. I'm done it MY WAY for 50 years and haven't been without work for more than a week or so during that time. I used two 15 inch speakers and a stereo amp at a Piano Bar!
My first arranger on stage was in about 1982 or so and I played it in stereo.
You can do what you want though; won't bother me a bit. smile

#451844 - 05/12/18 01:34 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Set up and play with one line array speaker. Then set a second one up with it. Place them where you can hear one out of each ear.
I'm betting you won't want to play with only one again. BTW this applies to traditional speakers too.
Arrangers are designed to be heard in stereo. Audiences deserve to hear you at your best.
There is the old argument that the audience can't tell the difference. I disagree. I'm done it MY WAY for 50 years and haven't been without work for more than a week or so during that time. I used two 15 inch speakers and a stereo amp at a Piano Bar!
My first arranger on stage was in about 1982 or so and I played it in stereo.
You can do what you want though; won't bother me a bit. smile

DITTO clap

Edited by Dnj (05/12/18 01:35 PM)

#451846 - 05/12/18 01:53 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Online   content

Quoted by DonM "My first arranger on stage was in about 1982 or so and I played it in stereo."

There is a coincidence, I used two Peavey KB300's(?) with Black Widow speakers IN "82. What a sound, but HEAVY AS HELL

Edited by Bernie9 (05/12/18 01:55 PM)

#451847 - 05/12/18 02:33 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Bernie9]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Bernie9
Quoted by DonM "My first arranger on stage was in about 1982 or so and I played it in stereo."

There is a coincidence, I used two Peavey KB300's(?) with Black Widow speakers IN "82. What a sound, but HEAVY AS HELL

I used to carry these 2 coffins into the gig. Shure Vocal master columns. They were my first "line array speakers" shocked

Jerryghr

Attachments
Shure.jpg

#451848 - 05/12/18 02:36 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
[quote=zuki]I wish I could get used to a single pole setup. Sometimes, it is way overkill to carry 80 lbs and another 20 lbs of pole, etc.

Thats why I went for 2 Jbl Eon Ones. Great hi fi stereo sound and plenty of power for most,applications. Picked up a Behringer 1200 sub for a steal but haven't had to use it yet. And no 20lb. poles !!!

#451851 - 05/12/18 04:35 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Vintage 60s Kustom K 200 White Sparkle Tuck and Roll Pa system many nights years ago rocking out with these baby's!! rocker

Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

#451852 - 05/12/18 04:39 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Bernie, I had a couple KB500s, and if I recall, they tipped the scales at just about 100 pounds each. while the 300s were nearly 80-pounds each. BRUTAL!

Gary cool

#451856 - 05/12/18 06:45 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

I set up one QSC tonight and played though it on the 4X. The difference is startling. Guess I'll stay on stereo course. Wish I could do one great stereo speaker on a pole.

#451862 - 05/13/18 02:00 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Online   content

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Bernie, I had a couple KB500s, and if I recall, they tipped the scales at just about 100 pounds each. while the 300s were nearly 80-pounds each. BRUTAL!

Gary cool

Mine must been the KB500BW because they were 100lbs and 15's

#451871 - 05/13/18 07:01 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

[quote=DonM]Set up and play with one line array speaker. Then set a second one up with it. Place them where you can hear one out of each ear.
There is the old argument that the audience can't tell the difference. I disagree. /quote]

I agree 100%. I'm sticking with the smaller 4X and will research lighter powered speakers on the dual pole mount. I might check the QSC 8.2. Been happy with that sound and would lighten the load 7 - 8 lbs each.

#451873 - 05/13/18 07:08 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Zuki I would look into line array systems like the LD Maui 5, JBL eon 1, Bose compact.....
no more lifting, or speaker stands

#451878 - 05/13/18 08:19 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Zuki,
The only speaker I can think of where you can get good stereo with one unit is Nano. You can separate the high-end speakers and have one sub. OR, you can use two units in dual-mono, which gives you stereo if you route it correctly.
I have two Nano 300s that I use for extra things and backup and have used them both ways to with good results.
They are no line-array, but sound really good with great bass.
Might be worth checking out.

#451881 - 05/13/18 08:48 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Appreciate the advice I'm heading to Guitar Center to browsing the PA room before my gig today

#451882 - 05/13/18 08:50 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I had good stereo separation from my Traynor K4 and My Roland BA330.

The folks that would disagree with me , are the same folks that never use stereo..

#451896 - 05/13/18 01:18 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I set my Maui 11s minimum 12 feet apart unless stage area alters that. I like Dons idea of trying one then adding the other for you. If you play small n.h. rooms, one may be appropriate. But I would recommend two so as to allow the flexibility of larger rooms. And..you will probably get a better price per piece if you buy a pair. The Maui 5s are the smallest and lightest of the line, but don't discount the 11s. Gives you more and still option to use one exists. I've done restaurants to social clubs to small hotel ballrooms with them. Not gonna get into Bose vs other line array specs like Maui and JBL, they can be looked up and compared. I can simply vouch for mauis like others, I personally don't believe in paying top dollar for the Bose name when I can get sufficient performance from one of the others for a lot less.

#451907 - 05/13/18 04:11 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I had good stereo separation from my Traynor K4 and My Roland BA330.

The folks that would disagree with me , are the same folks that never use stereo..

+1 on the K4. I plan to use my K4 with my new Crumar Seven.

chas

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online