SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#451693 - 05/08/18 12:31 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I have an S1 and have used it for a couple of small gigs; it's not the same as my Nano 600 or FBT Maxx40a's, but it's decent for smaller rooms / audiences.

A trick that I want to try, is to cut a length of tubing of the right diameter (speaker stand size) and stick it up in the hole (sorry for the graphic language here) since there is a pressure switch up in there (I can feel/hear this switch physically when I put fingers up there and press on it). Then, maybe, I can put the speaker in any orientation, and hopefully this pressure switch will cause the EQ-setting circuitry to ignore actual/physical orientation; the speaker will "think" that it's on a speaker stand (maybe).

This *may* set the EQ to be the "On A Stand" EQ, which will have more bass. I'm hoping that this is a way to bypass the "EQ-based-on-position" thing. I'll report back when I'm able to give this a try ...

Jim

#451699 - 05/08/18 07:09 PM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OOOOOOH! Brilliant discovery - let me know after you test it on it's side! That's be awesome if it disables the auto EQ setting.

#451713 - 05/09/18 07:03 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have used a pair of S1’s for about 10 gigs now....medium sized rooms, 60 people or less, on poles. This is my go to rig now for solo gigs. With my wife, I still use my Eon One so I don’t have to haul an extra mixer.

I’ve asked for feedback from AD’s about sound...all comments have been very positive. Many have commented on how balanced the volume is from the front of the room to the back...they really like that.

It appears that placing S1’s on poles gives a more flat response with plenty of bass.

Also, the ease of setup..so light...piece of cake for me....even with the hip problem I have. Everything else speaker wise that I have now seems a chore to haul.

To me, the speaker thing is about finding something that works for the performer and the audience...and obviously, there are lots of recipes for that.

Edited by guitpic1 (05/09/18 07:04 AM)

#451807 - 05/12/18 05:08 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
S1 is sold with battery now. Same price.

Edited by guitpic1 (05/12/18 05:09 AM)

#451810 - 05/12/18 05:48 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

I am not sure what size NH jobs you all play, but some I play are huge, with big crowds. If I didn't have my full blown keyboard, stereo QSCs, I'd be lost in a big room with little gear.

My setup is 10 minutes, done! Had to do it twice yesterday. I have (6) total pieces - a breeze and total band sound.

I thought about singing with a small rig, but everyone does that. I am rare with the one man band act and will do it - just for the residents.

UD - I'm going to try the mic through the L/R signal and eliminate the extra wires - see how well I can control mic volume.

Edited by zuki (05/12/18 05:50 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#451811 - 05/12/18 06:10 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Mic volume for a LIVE singer is very important and must be monitored & adjusted accordingly thru-out a song if needed to adapt to a song. Korg does this very well with separate on-board controls so does my Roland Ea7 with a dedicated MIC vol knob too..

Edited by Dnj (05/12/18 06:45 AM)

#451812 - 05/12/18 06:35 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By zuki

UD - I'm going to try the mic through the L/R signal and eliminate the extra wires - see how well I can control mic volume.

There will be no difference in tone or effects. The only possible hiccup will be that if you raise the master volume level, keys and vox will raise together. In most cases, this is desired, but if you need to adjust one, without the other - there are dedicated knobs that can do this on the face of the keyboard. The only scenario in which I'd use the separate outs would be if I needed to EQ or add effects outboard. Since you run into a flat input that is summed with the other inputs, I see no advantage at all. You be the judge, but Korg has so much processing power built in - I think you'll be fine with just a direct line out from the KB.

#451817 - 05/12/18 07:42 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, I agree with Dave. As usual.

#451820 - 05/12/18 08:00 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I ran my mic through the keyboard for more years than I can remember - never had a problem. And, usually, once I had everything balanced between mic and styles I never had to touch the volume at all.

Now, I used the Bose L1 Compact, and there was never a nursing home or retirement community that I could not cover. additionally, I didn't need a monitor with the L1 Compact - I heard exactly what the audience heard and at the same volume. smile Every piece of gear was lightweight and setup took 7 minutes if I took my time.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#451825 - 05/12/18 10:10 AM Re: Bose S1-Pro ... hmmmmm [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

I wish I could get used to a single pole setup. Sometimes, it is way overkill to carry 80 lbs and another 20 lbs of pole, etc.

We've kicked mono/stereo around forever. Maybe one day I'll try one of the line array systems. (It seems though all who promote this, end up going with (2) units).

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online