SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#451507 - 05/03/18 09:20 PM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Dnj]
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
Originally Posted By Dnj
Knock on wood I barley ever remembering a catastrophic failure with an arranger kb...except two times years ago on my old Yamaha Psr9000 the screen display went black but was still working had to finish the gig using a flashlight shined on it so I could still see the display menu with no backing light,.................another time same KB.....I had a worn keystrip Yamaha was famous for those failures you'd know it right away from the Blaring sound when you pressed key down YIKES!!, but with patience I was able to order a new strip and replace it.
All my Ketron units performed perfectly and I had almost every one including modules also.
So my point is no need to "DISS" Ketron they make a professions quality unit for sure. Sure things happen one way or another due to human error on every keyboard hopefully never but all in all most have great track records..

My point exactly ... :-)

If you were to make a bucket list of:-

* Common faults with KETRON's musical instruments and services
* Common faults with Yamaha's musical instruments and services
* Common faults with Korg's musical instruments and services
* Common faults with Roland musical instruments and services ...etc

... I am willing to bet ... no one has an empty bucket! And even if some may have more particular 'items' in their bucket than others, it will eventually balance out because they will have less than others of another item and that's my point all along :-)

#451509 - 05/03/18 10:54 PM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Dnj]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Loc: Hellas, Creta, Iraklion
The truth for me is that, almost after 10 years of daily use with Audya, I haven't changed a switch, slider or anything part.. Until today working perfect!!...

Edited by Sokratis 1974 (05/03/18 11:14 PM)

#451510 - 05/03/18 11:16 PM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Ketron_AJ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Ketron_AJ
Donny,

I think you should re-phrase your question and ask which keyboard manufacturer has produced a keyboard model that has no record of failure or abnormal operation or released without some bugs/issues in the past year, 2 years or even 10. I would personally love to take a hard look at that board.

There is BIG difference in bugs/issues, and having it FAIL on the job several times a night. I have recordings if you have forgotten. And there was no provision to return and get my money back. Took me two months to sell it. I'm sure the bugs are out now, but it was released prematurely and updates were promised, and promised...but after six months never fixed the problems I was having. Left a bitter taste in my mouth.
I'm truly happy that others have had such success with Ketrons. They sound great and have great features. Not for me again though.
Best of luck to all!

#451514 - 05/04/18 05:13 AM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I think all pre released beta kbs from every manufacturer should be given to PRO PLAYERS for at least a 6 month vigorous in the trenches demo tryout period utilizing all features extensively before they are released to market to find out under pressure if anything goes wrong and needs to be updated, repaired, serviced, etc, etc, etc, and only then when all parties agree put it on the market. many things could be avoided beforehand.

Edited by Dnj (05/04/18 05:43 AM)

#451515 - 05/04/18 05:14 AM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The only problem I had with the Audya wasn't anything to do with Audya per se, but the AJAMsonic SSD connection failed. I had taped it in place as the HD retaining box did not fit the new disk, maybe contributing to the problem. The point is I called Frank(several years after purchase) right away, and he called AJ, who advised me to reinstall the drive to the harness. So far, all is well.

When I bought my Audya 76, I knew of some Audya 4 problems, so I treated it as a numbers game, knowing I had Frank and AJ behind me. To be fair, there are problems that they have little control over, and I just have to hope that my past experience with Ketron reliability continues and will deal with these two men exclusively.

#451607 - 05/06/18 07:46 AM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Bernie9]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Seems to me the typical three year cycle between model releases should be long enough to assure sufficient quality control to minimize, or eliminate, the need for o.s. updates and related bug fixes after introduction. Ketron has used longer than three year model cycles theoretically allowing for more and better quality control before release.
Sometimes the question is, do we want it better, or do we want it now?

#451608 - 05/06/18 08:35 AM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: sparky589]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By sparky589
...the question is, do we want it better, or do we want it now?

Good question. If you're talking about the American market, Immediate Gratification trumps everything else....including common sense smile.

chas

#451609 - 05/06/18 08:43 AM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Bernie9]
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Hello Bernie9, if I may ask you of your experience between Audya and SD40 in regards to Styles playing live, also how do you like the styles in PA4X in comparison to the KETRON, thank you🤓🎹

Edited by Shade of pale (05/06/18 08:49 AM)

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#451612 - 05/06/18 10:23 AM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
cool
Nice demo, and it does sound good.
As 'usual', 90% of the public is 'old farts' like me and the rest are on the way to that stage of life.

SD9 could be a very interesting addition, but looking back at the support history,

In reality how many times in the past years have you ever had any keyboard failure of any brand?

Well, there was my Ketron audya 4, which me and Ketron never really got working correct.. despite several trips to the factory in Italy it made... but to be honest, i bought it used and way way to chhep, to good to be true...

For the rest, there was one viscount fatar masterkeyboard that got a broken key.. and my Roland e20’s speakers died on me..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#451614 - 05/06/18 11:49 AM Re: Ketron SD9 Demo by Bernie Liwowsky [Re: Shade of pale]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Originally Posted By Shade of pale
Hello Bernie9, if I may ask you of your experience between Audya and SD40 in regards to Styles playing live, also how do you like the styles in PA4X in comparison to the KETRON, thank you🤓🎹

It is rather hard to make blanket comparisons between the SD40 and Audya, but I can say the Audya seems to have a slight edge in sounding live, but not that much. If you were ask about other differences, it would be a different story. The Audya is the flagship with added connectivity e.g., 4 sub outs, 2 two mics, and Block Regs(unlimited set lists, organ draw bars, and probably other things.
OTOH
SD40 has new a OS that is faster and more direct than my Audya, and newer features and beautiful touch screen. I really like the SD40, at 4 lbs, for all my singing and playing needs. You didn't ask that, but I threw it in.

The comparison of the Pa4X and Ketron is too close to call. I like the styles of both equally, but differently. Both are top notch, and the rest subjective. As far as sounding live, Ketron might have a slight edge to us, but the audience will notice the structure of the style, not the DSP difference. They are both great, live sounding machines.

That's the best I can do my friend.

Edited by Bernie9 (05/06/18 11:51 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online