SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#450830 - 04/22/18 07:02 AM If you play jobs as a OMB
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417

If you are playing jobs as a OMB and also played another instrument like guitar, violin or piano and for some reason you had to stop playing jobs – would you continue to play your arranger keyboard at home, or gravitate to your other instrument?

John C.

#450832 - 04/22/18 07:39 AM Re: If you play jobs as a OMB [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I would play the arrangers at home and use my extra time to learn piano and guitar, but that is me. In general I see no reason to abandon the arrangers at home. OTOH, since one would probably have more free time, I can see one partially gravitating to ones former principle instrument(guitar) if one is so inclined.

There is no right or wrong, but whatever gives you, and/or others, the most enjoyment.

#450842 - 04/22/18 08:53 AM Re: If you play jobs as a OMB [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I would play the arranger for enjoyment, but I would defintely spend more time getting back some of the chops I once had when all I played was piano. I’ve been an early riser for many years, my new routine is getting that first cup of coffee then spending half hour at the piano.

#450851 - 04/22/18 10:54 AM Re: If you play jobs as a OMB [Re: bruno123]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
If I'm prepping for an upcoming job I spend most time at the Arranger checking settings and going over material I haven't used in awhile. Otherwise I go for the Piano and have been getting a lot of satisfaction lately playing that. Less machine, more me.

#450857 - 04/22/18 12:18 PM Re: If you play jobs as a OMB [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The very first instrument I gigged with was a six string acoustic guitar, which I performed on stage with until I heard a guy performing with a PSR-500. This guy performed primarily with style files and sang very well, and had a partner with an acoustic six string that had a pickup. It was a great combo and they fared very well for decades, primarily performing at nite clubs, bars and a few restaurant/bar combinations.

I tried doing both, performing with both keyboard and guitar, often using a midi file for backing tracks while I played my six string, and later my 12-string guitar. After about 5 years of using both instruments, I went strictly with the arranger keyboard, which was a smart move. I could get better guitar sounds out of my arranger keyboard than I could ever hope to hear from my guitars, it was easier on the fingers and my audiences enjoyed my performances even more. I later sold my guitars to Dan01 when he had a store in Towson, MD, then continued to upgrade my keyboards until I got the S-950.

Now that I have retired, I still play the keyboard at home, just for enjoyment and to enter into some challenges on another forum. If I physically could, I would go back to work tomorrow, but for now, that PSR-S-950 provides me with all the entertainment I wish, and I would NEVER go back to playing guitar, though my son loves playing his guitars.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#450919 - 04/23/18 10:16 AM Re: If you play jobs as a OMB [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
At home, I have a 20 year old Yamaha Clavinova...very close to an ancient arranger. Over the Clavinova, on wall guitar hooks are a nylon string, a solid custom Fender and a large D'Angelico.

I rarely use the arranger function , but usually, I'm just learning a tune enough to perform it, not for my or anyone else's enjoyment.

If I didn't "live" in the studio 90 hour or more a month, I'd have an arranger to do score roughs with.

Haven't played a job with an arranger yet this year and I work 4 or more jobs a week.

R

#450938 - 04/23/18 01:26 PM Re: If you play jobs as a OMB [Re: bruno123]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Most of the jobs I do use an arranger, but at home I'm usually working on piano, guitar, harmonica and drums. Most my time spent on an arranger at home is preparing for jobs (new songs, finding styles, sounds, making registrations and organizing styles. But often I do play arranger at home "just for fun" especially when friends/family come over and want to sing, dance and have fun, so yes, I think I'd always like to have an arranger KB around even if I wasn't playing out.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#450966 - 04/23/18 06:46 PM Re: If you play jobs as a OMB [Re: montunoman]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I love Bernie’s post – he understood where I am coming from.

And so does this post:
Quote “Most of the jobs I do use an arranger, but at home I'm usually working on piano, guitar, harmonica and drums. Most my time spent on an arranger at home is preparing for jobs (new songs, finding styles, sounds, making registrations and organizing styles. But often I do play arranger at home "just for fun" especially when friends/family come over and want to sing, dance and have fun, so yes, I think I'd always like to have an arranger KB around even if I wasn't playing out”.

My point; if you are not preparing for a job or a neighbor you are left with enjoying your keyboard differently. This does not apply to a home player. Years back I was a Pro player and s home player. Since then I have gotten lost with preparing.

Since the doctor said I have Parkinson’s disease my thinking is to sell all but one keyboards – and buy me one great guitar. That’s the instrument I started with. To quote: no bells and whistles just me and what I am feeling.
Thanks for your opinions they did help, John C.

#450970 - 04/23/18 07:19 PM Re: If you play jobs as a OMB [Re: bruno123]
zuki Offline

At my job tonight, someone asked "how many instruments do you play?" My response: "about 1400, right here in my keyboard". I got a couple chuckles....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online