SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#450674 - 04/19/18 04:12 PM Re: Fun show at Memory Care yesterday except for.... [Re: Scott Langholff]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I performed in a half dozen memory care locations in Maryland, I always insisted that no less then 2 attendants must be in the room at all times, one in the back and one in the front near me. Saved me a lot of grief! smile Once, at an Alzheimer's Center where I performed every other week, they decided to have a meeting, and left me alone with 75 Alzheimer's patients in various stages of the disease. I instantly stopped playing and announced on the PA that the music would begin as soon as 2 attendants came back to the room. The facility director came into the large room and asked why I was not playing and singing. I explained the many potential problems that I could not cope with without 2 attendants. He immediately left the room and two young girls quickly entered and apologized for leaving me alone with the patients. It never happened again.

When I was still working, I was required to carry $1-million in liability insurance, which cost me about $1,000 a year. It was well worth the expense. I had several nite club jobs back then as well as the NH circuit, and believe it of not, the nite clubs and restaurants were the problem places. Everyone that requested a song wanted to lean on my equipment, usually the Bose sound column as if it were a leaning post. I eventually solved that problem by creating a sign on the PC that said "DANGER - HIGH WATTAGE". The sign was black with blazing, bold, red and yellow letters. I placed one on each side of the Bose tower at eye level. Problem solved.

At some locations where folks constantly wanted to lean on my keyboard or console, I went to the expense of purchasing a theater barrier, which consisted of 4 brass poles and velvet covered plastic chains. This stopped 99 percent of the intruders, but there was always at least one person a night that would work their way around the barrier so they could whisper in my ear while I was playing and singing. I always found that amazing in that despite the fact they could see me singing and playing, they still fully expected my to hold a conversation with them. The best and most economical thing I ever did was get out of the restaurant and bar entertainment biz and go with the NH circuit. Better hours, better audiences, better pay, less hassles and no drunks to put up with. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#450676 - 04/19/18 04:35 PM Re: Fun show at Memory Care yesterday except for.... [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
My nemesis was small children at outdoor events . They run on and off the stage while their parents sit at tables and drink beer paying no attention. I made pa announcements asking parents to watch their kids so they don't get hurt. At one gig, a kid toppled one of my EV zx1 over sb122 sub towers. Watched the satellite go bouncing across the stage after jumper cable came out. Lots of I'm sorries from parents but it didn't stop the rest of kids from continuing. Even after witnessing what happened, the other parents didn't become suddenly responsible.I had to take benches from some picnic tables and put them all across the front of the stage which was only one step up from the dance floor. Easily stepped over but message sent. Luckily equipment still worked. And those kids just can't resist the buttons on the bass side of an accordion. I've chased them away in the nick of time before they pushed one in too far.
Of course my parents would never let us act like that as kids..but today they let them go crazy without watching them, and they don't like it if you tell their kids to stay away or keep hands off. Especially after they've had a few..

Edited by sparky589 (04/19/18 04:47 PM)

#450688 - 04/20/18 04:31 AM Re: Fun show at Memory Care yesterday except for.... [Re: btweengigs]
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Originally Posted By btweengigs
Scott....
Based on the picture you posted there were at least two people too close to you for a memory care situation. The aids in the room should never permit their folks to get within touching distance. I do very few MC's because of this very issue.

Ed, This is excellent advice...thx for sharing. clap

#450731 - 04/20/18 06:56 PM Re: Fun show at Memory Care yesterday except for.... [Re: bruno123]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
Scott, maybe she didn’t like your singing. Hahahaha
John C.

John, I should have guessed I was in trouble when she requested that I play the Minute Waltz in less than a minute laugh

#450732 - 04/20/18 07:08 PM Re: Fun show at Memory Care yesterday except for.... [Re: Scott Langholff]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Scott.... How much time do you need to play "It Was A Very Good Year"? smile

#450734 - 04/20/18 08:16 PM Re: Fun show at Memory Care yesterday except for.... [Re: btweengigs]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By btweengigs
Scott.... How much time do you need to play "It Was A Very Good Year"? smile

I'll time it next time and let you know. Really. bounce

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online