SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44988 - 03/31/05 08:17 AM what about the Technics SX-PR900
sebastien Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
What about this digital piano? Does anyone here know anything about it? The sound, the touch etc (the most you can tell me about it the better) Compared to new digitals how would you rate it? How long has it been on the market? There is somebody selling this piano in the classified for less than 3000 canadian dollars and it says that its worth close to 12000 (can$). I tried to look for infos on the internet about this digital piano but can hardly find anything. No pictures no infos...only about the pr903 or 904?

Could somebody help me on this? If you have a brochure or a user's guide, I'd love to take a look

Also, Since I,ve heard what happened with Technics, is it a good move to go that way? If so, what about the service in Canada if something happens?

If any of you could help me with tese questions, I'd be very grateful!
Thanks

#44989 - 03/31/05 10:48 AM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
Lanny Offline

Loc: Placitas, NM USA
Sebastien,

I have followed Technics instruments since about 1999, when I bought a PR702, the next generation digital piano beyond the one you inquired about. I have literature and specs on the x02 series, ie 602, 702, and 902, but nothing on the x00 series.

However, I have played on the x00 series a few times at my local dealers. I would describe the PR900 as the first really great, top of the line, digital ensemble instrument from Technics. It has the basic operating system and features that lasted throughout all of the subsequent pianos and keyboards, through the x02s, x03s, and the last PR 804.

Compared to current models, the major difference in features would be that the styles on the 900 are comprised of 5 parts rather than the 8 parts on the 804. The sounds and rhythms have been upgraded, but evolution describes this much better than any revolution along the way.

I can't comment on service, particularly in Canada, but do think that at the right price a PR900 could be a very satisfying purchase. Only you can decide what is the right price, although a dealer with a used instrument "blue book" could provide some assistance.

Hope this provides some help.

Lanny

#44990 - 08/18/10 02:56 PM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
rdr Offline

Loc: PA US
i have one for sale

#44991 - 08/18/10 03:46 PM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#44992 - 08/18/10 04:37 PM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have a Technics PR900 digital piano in a highly polished cherry wood. I bought it in 1991. It's full retail price in the UK at that time was £2,199 and with the part exchange allowance, I paid £1,500. Today, in the UK they are still fetching around £1,000 depending on their condition.

It has excellent piano, organ, choirs, strings and various other voices and really good 'make-you-want-to-dance' rhythms. The keys are weighted and the velocity, and after touch, can be altered according to
your needs.

You can play it as a straight piano, or there are several options e.g. basic, advanced, variations, piano mode etc., which offer rhythms already set up for you to play.
The Glen Miller and jazz setup are excellent.

I still like and play mine at least once a week, but I must point out that the overall sound although very good, is not as good as today's instruments. However, if played through an audio speaker system, you'd barely notice the difference.

I don't know how many dollars would equate to £1,000, but I would certainly buy it if it's offered around that price. Apart from anything else, it is a very smart looking piece of furniture and looks great in my sitting room.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

#44993 - 08/18/10 11:11 PM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
I have a PR903, a bit later than the 900, but looking at the specs it is very similar minus a few functions.
If you are looking for a digital piano you will not find anything much better, and certainly nothing as easy to use, as one of these. I love mine and I am sure Audrey does too, (had it since 1991 !!!! says it all).
As far as service goes, you pay your money and you takes your chances. There are manufacturers still in business that do not provide adequate back-up. Look at other Forums to verify this.
As far as price goes, if it's what you want buy it. There are not enough around to be able to bargain. Life is too short, go for it
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#44994 - 08/19/10 01:21 AM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I hope Sebastien was still waiting for a reply - his message was dated 31st March 2005.......just over 5 years ago!

#44995 - 08/19/10 03:41 AM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Very observant of you Rog I don't think anyone else noticed that.......

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#44996 - 08/19/10 03:14 PM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
No I didn't notice it either, but then all I saw was the words 'Technics' and 'piano'. I still get a great deal of pleasure playing the PR900 - need I say more?

Audrey

#44997 - 08/19/10 06:44 PM Re: what about the Technics SX-PR900
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Reliable Roger, where would we be without you?
How did this post surface at this time ????
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online