SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#449579 - 03/30/18 06:29 AM Prolonging Life Of PA's
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use a Bose compact or Spacestation v3 on my jobs and in the studio. One or the other may be on 10hrs a day sometimes, with shutting them off when not in use for more than an hour. My thought was to use the amp that goes with the setup I am using, still, I wonder if I am cutting into their lifespan, and use a smaller practice amp, such as my CM30's, since I know my settings on the others for the gig?

Edited by Bernie9 (03/30/18 06:59 AM)

#449580 - 03/30/18 06:45 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
From my experience as a Technology teacher we were told the greatest stress on electronic devices is the cycling of on and off. The surge of electricity thru the components and the heat and cool cycles has the most capacity for causing damage. We left the computer labs on 24 hrs. a day except for weekends and Holidays.
If your happy using your CM30's for practice do that and leave your gig equipment packed and ready to go. I have a closet in my garage for my gig PA equipment and a small PA in my studio for practice.

Edited by Bill Lewis (03/30/18 07:33 AM)

#449582 - 03/30/18 06:57 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Valuable information. Thanks Bill

#449586 - 03/30/18 07:35 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
No problem Bernie. I'm full of misc. information . Ready for Jeprody.
Ever wonder why a light bulb never goes out while its on but blows when you first turn the switch on.

#449587 - 03/30/18 07:53 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The on/off cycling problems were addressed many years ago when computer manufacturers began using activation and shutdown delay powering devices, thereby sequentially turning on and off the device. This same technology is used with a myriad of electronic devices, including cell phones, arranger keyboards and amps. Consequently, turning the device on and off no longer has the same detrimental effects as it did in the past.

The big killers of sound system, IMO, is overloading them and the lack of cooling fans. Donny Pesce experienced this with the old models of Barbetta Sona 32SC that he owned. When they got hot, they would actually trip the safety cutoff thermister, which shut down entirely until it reached a safe operating temperature. I solved his problem by installing cooling fans inside the cabinets and placed vents in them as well.

Many years ago, I had two amps trashed by cigarette smoke in the American Legion where I performed every Friday night. The smoke was so thick when someone opened the entrance door, folks outside would think the building was on fire when the smoke rushed out the door. Every plug, jack and switch inside that fan cooled powered mixer/amp was completely covered with cigarette tars in less than 6 months of use.

High humidity will destroy PA systems during outdoor jobs. When very moist air is drawn into the system via the cooling fan, it can readily condense on the PC boards especially if the PA is fired up right after being removed from an air conditioned vehicle and set up in that warm, moist environment. Best to allow the PA temperature to equalize with the surrounding environment before turning it on.

When not in use, it's always a good idea to cover the PA with some type of cover to prevent dust and moisture from entering the system. Same is true with your arranger keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#449589 - 03/30/18 07:54 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Im in the school of use it till it goes then dump it and buy another its only gear...

#449590 - 03/30/18 08:14 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Fine Donny, as long as it doesn't take it's last breath on my gig lol

#449591 - 03/30/18 08:20 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto, Bernie!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#449592 - 03/30/18 08:30 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm a believer in letting it run. I have a Yamaha mixer in my office that has not been turned off in maybe eight years and it runs like new.
The technician who works on my gear when necessary tells me the same thing--it's better to let it run than turn it on and off frequently.
I only have personal experience with this, not any sort of technical expertise.
The light bulb in my closet is always on. I can't remember changing it, but I do know it has been several years.

#449595 - 03/30/18 10:10 AM Re: Prolonging Life Of PA's [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Fine Donny, as long as it doesn't take it's last breath on my gig lol

and if it does you GOTTA always have backup!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online