SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#449336 - 03/25/18 04:46 PM Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos!
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Money aside... please give me your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos!

I still haven’t seen or heard one live and in person.... but it fits what I think I need in a keyboard. The Korg Pa4X was an awesome keyboard for me but I need a few more things to make it a keeper.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#449337 - 03/25/18 05:27 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

Why not buy one with a good return policy try it keep or return it?
it might be what you need or not..

Edited by Dnj (03/25/18 06:18 PM)

#449338 - 03/25/18 05:49 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By shueymusic

I still haven’t seen or heard one live and in person.... but it fits what I think I need in a keyboard. The Korg Pa4X was an awesome keyboard for me but I need a few more things to make it a keeper.

#1 Reason: Sound. Just awesome.
Everything sounds so vibrant and alive ...
There are many more.
Just read through the posts there are plenty of answers. wink
Eric

Edited by Eric, B (03/25/18 05:50 PM)

#449345 - 03/25/18 07:01 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By Dnj
Why not buy one with a good return policy try it keep or return it?
it might be what you need or not..

Good advice. Got mine on a trial basis. The more I played it, the more I loved it. After a week’s trial, I knew I was going to keep it.

When I first got Genos, all I could think of was how $$$ this board was. I had myself convinced I would send it back...before I even got it...too much to spend on a keyboard.

Why don’t you do like I did. Order it with a return policy. Then try to convince yourself you are going to send it back. 😁

#449346 - 03/25/18 07:20 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
shueymusic Offline

Sound is important!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#449349 - 03/25/18 07:41 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
You say "money aside", but in fact, that is one of the biggest considerations. You obviously like it (and THINK you need it) so if money is not a consideration then there is no dilemma. Just buy it. But assuming you're like most of us and money IS a consideration, 'want' aside, you have to ask yourself if you really, REALLY need it. With a (highly regarded) PA4x in hand, it's highly likely that you don't. If the PA4x fills, let's say, 90% of your needs, how much is the other 10% worth? 5k? Not me, not unless I've got Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates money smile.

I've discovered that the longer I ponder over something, the more likely I am to end up buying it.....and regretting it later smile. The longer you ponder, the larger the list of reasons to buy gets and the shorter the list of reasons not to buy gets, until finally logic, reason, and common sense completely disappear and is quickly replaced by unbridled lust....in this case, GEAR lust. That said, plus the fact that new gear is good for the soul :), stop torturing yourself and go ahead and buy the damn thing smile smile smile.

BTW, NOBODY should ask MY advice on buying (unnecessary) gear smile.

chas

Edited by cgiles (03/25/18 07:43 PM)

#449350 - 03/25/18 08:22 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
...everything my buddy Chas said.

#449353 - 03/25/18 09:45 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
shueymusic Offline

Gear lust... or just G.A.S.?!?

All opinions are great!! Keep them flowing!! It sounds like some of you are inside my head!!!

#449358 - 03/25/18 11:23 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
guitpic1 Offline

Johnathan, you have a PA4X?

I see you do praise and worship music. Contemporary? That alone would get me thinking about the Genos.

Also, the FP-50...88 Keys? The Genos with 76 Keys gives a similar feel. Not to mention WiFi on Genos with iPad integration.

Besides, Chas seems to think it’s a good idea...or maybe he doesn’t? 😊

Edited by guitpic1 (03/25/18 11:31 PM)

#449359 - 03/25/18 11:40 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
I was going to keep my T4 and add PA4X-76 because I did not see anything that impressed me when T5 came out, except from the 76 keys I did miss after G-70 and SD1 left the house.
Then Genos had to show up. Oh yeah, I was pretty sure this is a T6 in disguise..... In some ways it is, because you will recognize how to do a lot of things.
The new OS design is no problem for my use, but I've seen some 'cons and pros' at fora.
So, finally I desided to give Genos a chanche.
In my ears it's the best arranger from Yamaha till now, it sounds better than ever.
When play both the old legacy and Genos native styles, it's easy to understand why Yamaha put up bonuspacks and reworked the 'missing' T5 styles for Genos.
So, myself I'm still exploring andt there is a lot not tried out yet. It's a monster macine.
It's going to stay, but as I prepare for the final arranger investment before they put me 6 feet under, PA?X-76 will be added at a later strage.
It sounds good, it looks good and it's a lovely keybed that is a pleasure to play.
But, as I said before, the chassie feels a bit like 'cheep plastic fantastic' compared to T4 and T5. But as I don't move keyboards around anymore, it's not a big deal.

I have a feeling you're going to love it, regardless of amount $$$$$. smile
keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#449370 - 03/26/18 04:22 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Eric, B]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Eric, B

#1 Reason: Sound. Just awesome.
Everything sounds so vibrant and alive ...
There are many more.
Just read through the posts there are plenty of answers. wink
Eric

Plus 1 and you only go around once in life.

#449372 - 03/26/18 05:25 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

do you really need it at this point, or just wait for genos 2 and see what Yamaha fixes or redesigns on genos2 vs genos1 whats the rush anyway & pa5x could be around the corner also wink ......you have a Pa4x now which is a monster arranger kb that can do it all!!...rediscover it,....
gear lust is an awful disease,....but what do I know? coffee

Edited by Dnj (03/26/18 05:27 AM)

#449376 - 03/26/18 06:16 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
zuki Offline

If you're pondering, there's a reason. Fat chance you'll get the answers here, only in your heart. Can't rely on us - we buy and sell all the time.

Not what retailers want to hear, but dnj says, buy and return. I'm glad I'm able to do that with gear, because things just don't work sometimes.

That said, I am really glad I got the 4X (having the time of my life).

For me, boredom creeps in with gear after a few years and its time to move on. I find myself getting lazy because it all sounds the same after a while - I simply need to change for my peace of mind and enthusiasm.

Good luck Jonathan smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#449383 - 03/26/18 07:28 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
shueymusic Offline

Pa4X is sold. So is the Yamaha XF6 and my Roland VP-770. This is why I say besides the money. I sold things to get the money to make the next step.

Yamaha went away from their workstations when they changed the Motif line to the Montage line.

All I want is the best sounds available... a way to record them to build a song... a nice touch and feel... lightweight to transport for my church job and gigs... a fantastic piano sound.

I know... It’s not the keyboard, it’s the player. For me, it’s the sounds and the functions I need in order to be inspired. 2 years from now... maybe something different.

#449387 - 03/26/18 07:40 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Johnathan, you have a PA4X?

I see you do praise and worship music. Contemporary? That alone would get me thinking about the Genos.

Also, the FP-50...88 Keys? The Genos with 76 Keys gives a similar feel. Not to mention WiFi on Genos with iPad integration.

Besides, Chas seems to think it’s a good idea...or maybe he doesn’t? 😊

I did have a Pa4X. I just recently sold it! Great keyboard!!! Awesome build quality made in Italy. Great touch and the sounds are great. I used it to playback tracks for church and gigs in MP3 format. The Genos would do WAV files.

The FP50 is my weighted board. Mostly for home but I work with a theatre company who rents it from time to time. I transferred all my MP3 files to iTunes and synced it to my iPad. That’s what I am using for now until I make the jump.

Yes, contemporary Christian music. I’ve been a Worship Leader since 2003. Our church lacked a good drummer so, I first tried to sequence on my Korg Triton. It was OK but the tracks didn’t come out too “real” sounding. Then I tried my new Motif ES... and 15 years later, I’m still using it to produce contemporary Christian tracks. The Genos might be my next step... might!

#449388 - 03/26/18 07:42 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Like Your Style Johnathan!....Besides it Great for Business.

#449392 - 03/26/18 07:57 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
cgiles Offline

Zuki just touched on an important point; one that has been mentioned a few times before; BOREDOM, the bane of the arranger keyboard (and the number one reason people keep changing and upgrading to the newest model). After thoroughly exhausting all the on-board (and third-party) styles (usually only about 10% are usable for our needs), that's when the 'boredom' starts to creep in. That's one MAJOR difference between arrangers and traditional instruments; pianist, violinist, guitarist, etc., rarely get bored with their instruments, at least not to point of needing to change them every couple of years. Of course the mordern 'B3' hasn't changed much in the last 60 years; pianos and guitars, etc. even longer (try centuries). Perhaps the reason is that with these instruments, we are more invested in what WE can do with the instrument, wherein with the arranger we are more interested/invested in what the instrument can do for US. A clear shift in emphasis on who/what is most important in this man/machine equation.

Just some random thoughts, but I thought Zuki's (and others) point about the 'boredom' aspect of 'gear lust' or G.A.S., was an important one; one that we should probably reflect on when pondering a significant gear purchase. JMO, of course.

chas

#449406 - 03/26/18 10:59 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
shueymusic Offline

Boredom or even burnt in... some sounds get burned into our brains. During the 90s... the Korg M1 Piano Sound (which is in the PA4X) was the main sound used for dance tunes. I had that keyboard and didn’t like the sound much at all. But it was burned into my mind!!!

Fresh drum sounds... fresh guitars and pianos... all good for the creative musical mind!! Since I arrange and do my own tracks, the sounds get old but the way I arrange is varied.

#449409 - 03/26/18 11:22 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: cgiles]
Eric, B Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Zuki just touched on an important point; one that has been mentioned a few times before; BOREDOM, the bane of the arranger keyboard (and the number one reason people keep changing and upgrading to the newest model). After thoroughly exhausting all the on-board (and third-party) styles (usually only about 10% are usable for our needs), that's when the 'boredom' starts to creep in. That's one MAJOR difference between arrangers and traditional instruments; pianist, violinist, guitarist, etc., rarely get bored with their instruments, at least not to point of needing to change them every couple of years. Of course the mordern 'B3' hasn't changed much in the last 60 years; pianos and guitars, etc. even longer (try centuries). Perhaps the reason is that with these instruments, we are more invested in what WE can do with the instrument, wherein with the arranger we are more interested/invested in what the instrument can do for US. A clear shift in emphasis on who/what is most important in this man/machine equation.

Just some random thoughts, but I thought Zuki's (and others) point about the 'boredom' aspect of 'gear lust' or G.A.S., was an important one; one that we should probably reflect on when pondering a significant gear purchase. JMO, of course.

chas

Hi Chas,

Great post, however I might be the ought ball out... wink
I never got tired or bored with my gear.
I always find new things or change things up to keep me excited. Arrangers have endless possibilities...
Live bands have the advantage of being Live.
There are certain advantages there.
However I can go from Rock to Disco to Dance to Standards to Jazz to Folk etc in a heart beat and keep thinks interesting.
I can play songs that many live bands would not be able to because of the styles and sounds I use ...

The only reason for me to upgrade is a sound that I am looking for.
You are correct about Violin, Piano, Guitar etc.
Those instruments have been perfected over the years.
Arrangers have come a long way.
When I started with Arrangers, I had a vision of what could be.
That was many Moons ago. smile
My vision was that Arrangers have such incredible sound that it would be hard to tell the difference from the real thing. Sort of.
Of course in some way we will always be able tell the difference.
I usually skip a generation or two since improvement in sound is somewhat incremental.
I must say though that for the first time the PA4X and the Genos are pretty darn close to the real thing.
Yes, folks always talk about the "live" sound which is true.
However it still sounds somewhat of a KB.
With the increase in RAM. the new PA4X and Genos have a fullness and aliveness to the sound like never before.
In many ways I got the sound finally that I have been looking for, for 20+ years smile smile smile
So I will be keeping my new toy for a while ....
Regards
Eric

Edited by Eric, B (03/26/18 11:24 AM)

#449410 - 03/26/18 11:29 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My wife got bored with me, threatened to trade me in on a new model on a couple occasions, but I'm still here. Now she just yells at me and tells me I'm crazy, but that was pretty much a given the day we got married. wink

As for the best reason to buy a Genos, well, the reasons will vary considerably between individuals, same as the best reason to get married. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#449413 - 03/26/18 12:11 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Eric, B]
cgiles Offline

Live bands have the advantage of being Live.
There are certain advantages there.
However I can go from Rock to Disco to Dance to Standards to Jazz to Folk etc in a heart beat and keep thinks interesting.
I can play songs that many live bands would not be able to because of the styles and sounds I use ...

Eric, I agree with a lot of what you say but here's the thing.... when you switch from Rock to Jazz to Polka, is it actually YOU or the arranger that's accomplishing that? In other words, when you switch to a Bachata or a Polka or a Jazz Waltz, are you really proficient in that genre'? Do you really understand the little subtleties, colorations, accents, nuances, 'feel', etc. that would allow you to augment and use the style in an authentic manner? Just playing the chord and hitting the button that says POLKA (IMO) is what makes an arranger sound like an arranger. I hate to always use DonM as an example 'cause he may start thinking I like his music smile , but one reason he is successful is because he thoroughly knows the genre' he plays which allows him to apply the 'secret sauce' that makes it sound authentic. Do I like Don playing Country? Absolutely. Would I like Don playing Polkas? Probably not smile smile.

So I guess my point is; this oft-quoted thing about arrangers allowing you to play songs in any style can be both a blessing and a curse; a blessing if you're a songwriter looking for a creative new approach, a curse if you're a live performer using it as a crutch (to play songs in unfamiliar genre's).

Again, just my thoughts.

So I will be keeping my new toy for a while ....
Regards
Eric

On a lighter note; pianist, guitarist, etc. never refer to their instruments as 'toys' smile smile smile.

chas

#449414 - 03/26/18 12:47 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: cgiles]
Eric, B Offline

Hi Chas,
You are absolutely right about Genre.
I used the above as an example. wink
Yes, I am proficient in the Music I play.
Growing up in the 70's and 80's I understand Rock Pop Disco.
The Genos has a lot of 80's styles smile Right up my alley...
Started out on the Guitar when I was 13.
I also Understand EDM type Dance Music.
All that is in my blood.
I play for people to get up and Dance. Just having a good time.
For that I need good grooves ...

For the reason above I don't play really Country (Nobody can be like Don cool ), Jazz and Standards. Just a handful if needed, but I make sure it's background music .... smile
Very good points
Eric

#449415 - 03/26/18 01:14 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
cgiles Offline

Wow, it is so refreshing to have a discussion or back-and-forth with someone without them getting defensive. Just goes to prove, everyone has a point, usually a good one, if we can stay calm long enough to listen. Thanks Eric.

chas

#449417 - 03/26/18 01:44 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: cgiles]
Eric, B Offline

Agreed. wink
Very enjoyable.
Thank you too.
Eric

#449418 - 03/26/18 01:46 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
DonM Offline

Now I am HURT. I know I could play a polka if I tried. smile
Some good stuff here. It makes my blood boil when I hear someone call my arranger a "toy", even though I know they don't mean anything bad by it.
My bass boat and gear are toys; my golf clubs are toys...because I play with them. The music gear is my livelihood so I take it seriously. If a pro golfer plays guitar on the side, then his guitar could be considered a toy, but his clubs are surely not. All semantics I suppose.
I've had this PSR S970 for three weeks now. Time to decide whether to keep it. It does appear my IMMEDIATE death is not eminent though, so maybe I can plan more than a week or so ahead. smile

#449419 - 03/26/18 02:22 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: DonM]
Eric, B Offline

Hi Don,
Good reminder to value what we are doing. wink
Hopefully I haven't offended you by calling my KB a toy ...
But you are absolutely right. It is a very professional musical instrument and tool wink
BTW what do you have in mind for your next arranger if you let the S-970 go?
Good luck with whatever you decide. smile
Regards
Eric

#449420 - 03/26/18 02:30 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Eric, B]
DonM Offline

Hi Don,
But you are absolutely right. It is a very professional musical instrument and tool wink
Regards
Eric

Oh no Eric, no offense at all! I probably will just play this one for a while. I haven't played a Genos and my health has been so bad I haven't felt like traveling to see one, and I really don't feel like dealing with something new anyway.
Still, sometimes I get the urge for something new, and that boredom thing enters into the equation as well.
Korg may have something new pretty soon, who knows. It really doesn't matter that much, they are all great these days!

#449421 - 03/26/18 02:39 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Johnathan: You’ve wanted one all along. Now you’ve got the cash...go for it. Your experience with it will only further the knowledge base for all of us.

jingleman

#449422 - 03/26/18 03:16 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: jingleman]
Eric, B Offline

Don,
I sure hope you'll feel better soon, so you'll have many more years of joy playing music and making people happy ... keys
Kind regards
Eric

#449423 - 03/26/18 03:37 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Eric, B]
DonM Offline

Don,
I sure hope you'll feel better soon, so you'll have many more years of joy playing music and making people happy ... keys
Kind regards
Eric

Thanks Eric. ME TOO!

#449427 - 03/26/18 09:19 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
Bachus Offline

The huge collection of Yamaha user created styles, which sound best on Genos of all Yamaha instruments.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#449431 - 03/26/18 10:47 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Hi Don,
Regards
Eric

Oh no Eric, no offense at all! I probably will just play this one for a while. I haven't played a Genos and my health has been so bad I haven't felt like traveling to see one, and I really don't feel like dealing with something new anyway.
Still, sometimes I get the urge for something new, and that boredom thing enters into the equation as well.
Korg may have something new pretty soon, who knows. It really doesn't matter that much, they are all great these days!

Don,

Do you still have your PA4X?

#449445 - 03/27/18 09:00 AM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
DonM Offline

No, it is residing in Florida with my good friend John C.!

#449464 - 03/27/18 01:07 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By DonM

Don, so sorry to hear that you are still not feeling that well ... you are still in our prayers ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online