SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#449413 - 03/26/18 12:11 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Eric, B]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Eric, B

Live bands have the advantage of being Live.
There are certain advantages there.
However I can go from Rock to Disco to Dance to Standards to Jazz to Folk etc in a heart beat and keep thinks interesting.
I can play songs that many live bands would not be able to because of the styles and sounds I use ...

Eric, I agree with a lot of what you say but here's the thing.... when you switch from Rock to Jazz to Polka, is it actually YOU or the arranger that's accomplishing that? In other words, when you switch to a Bachata or a Polka or a Jazz Waltz, are you really proficient in that genre'? Do you really understand the little subtleties, colorations, accents, nuances, 'feel', etc. that would allow you to augment and use the style in an authentic manner? Just playing the chord and hitting the button that says POLKA (IMO) is what makes an arranger sound like an arranger. I hate to always use DonM as an example 'cause he may start thinking I like his music smile , but one reason he is successful is because he thoroughly knows the genre' he plays which allows him to apply the 'secret sauce' that makes it sound authentic. Do I like Don playing Country? Absolutely. Would I like Don playing Polkas? Probably not smile smile.

So I guess my point is; this oft-quoted thing about arrangers allowing you to play songs in any style can be both a blessing and a curse; a blessing if you're a songwriter looking for a creative new approach, a curse if you're a live performer using it as a crutch (to play songs in unfamiliar genre's).

Again, just my thoughts.

So I will be keeping my new toy for a while ....
Regards
Eric

On a lighter note; pianist, guitarist, etc. never refer to their instruments as 'toys' smile smile smile.

chas

#449414 - 03/26/18 12:47 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: cgiles]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Chas,
You are absolutely right about Genre.
I used the above as an example. wink
Yes, I am proficient in the Music I play.
Growing up in the 70's and 80's I understand Rock Pop Disco.
The Genos has a lot of 80's styles smile Right up my alley...
Started out on the Guitar when I was 13.
I also Understand EDM type Dance Music.
All that is in my blood.
I play for people to get up and Dance. Just having a good time.
For that I need good grooves ...

For the reason above I don't play really Country (Nobody can be like Don cool ), Jazz and Standards. Just a handful if needed, but I make sure it's background music .... smile
Very good points
Eric

#449415 - 03/26/18 01:14 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow, it is so refreshing to have a discussion or back-and-forth with someone without them getting defensive. Just goes to prove, everyone has a point, usually a good one, if we can stay calm long enough to listen. Thanks Eric.

chas

#449417 - 03/26/18 01:44 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: cgiles]
Eric, B Offline

Agreed. wink
Very enjoyable.
Thank you too.
Eric

#449418 - 03/26/18 01:46 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Now I am HURT. I know I could play a polka if I tried. smile
Some good stuff here. It makes my blood boil when I hear someone call my arranger a "toy", even though I know they don't mean anything bad by it.
My bass boat and gear are toys; my golf clubs are toys...because I play with them. The music gear is my livelihood so I take it seriously. If a pro golfer plays guitar on the side, then his guitar could be considered a toy, but his clubs are surely not. All semantics I suppose.
I've had this PSR S970 for three weeks now. Time to decide whether to keep it. It does appear my IMMEDIATE death is not eminent though, so maybe I can plan more than a week or so ahead. smile

#449419 - 03/26/18 02:22 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: DonM]
Eric, B Offline

Hi Don,
Good reminder to value what we are doing. wink
Hopefully I haven't offended you by calling my KB a toy ...
But you are absolutely right. It is a very professional musical instrument and tool wink
BTW what do you have in mind for your next arranger if you let the S-970 go?
Good luck with whatever you decide. smile
Regards
Eric

#449420 - 03/26/18 02:30 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Eric, B]
DonM Offline

Hi Don,
Good reminder to value what we are doing. wink
Hopefully I haven't offended you by calling my KB a toy ...
But you are absolutely right. It is a very professional musical instrument and tool wink
BTW what do you have in mind for your next arranger if you let the S-970 go?
Good luck with whatever you decide. smile
Regards
Eric

Oh no Eric, no offense at all! I probably will just play this one for a while. I haven't played a Genos and my health has been so bad I haven't felt like traveling to see one, and I really don't feel like dealing with something new anyway.
Still, sometimes I get the urge for something new, and that boredom thing enters into the equation as well.
Korg may have something new pretty soon, who knows. It really doesn't matter that much, they are all great these days!

#449421 - 03/26/18 02:39 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: shueymusic]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Johnathan: You’ve wanted one all along. Now you’ve got the cash...go for it. Your experience with it will only further the knowledge base for all of us.

jingleman

#449422 - 03/26/18 03:16 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: jingleman]
Eric, B Offline

Don,
I sure hope you'll feel better soon, so you'll have many more years of joy playing music and making people happy ... keys
Kind regards
Eric

#449423 - 03/26/18 03:37 PM Re: Your best reason I should buy a Yamaha Genos! [Re: Eric, B]
DonM Offline

Don,
I sure hope you'll feel better soon, so you'll have many more years of joy playing music and making people happy ... keys
Kind regards
Eric

Thanks Eric. ME TOO!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online