SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#44929 - 08/17/03 08:12 AM Easy Record
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi All,

How can we tell if someone Easy Recorded a song, or edited the sequence ?

For instance on Cee's website, he has all Easy Recorded songs, and I was wondering how he knew that ?

For what it matters, I like both Easy Record, and Edited Sequences, and want to thank all that share both methods.

SeeYa,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#44930 - 08/17/03 08:29 AM Re: Easy Record
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
How can we tell if someone Easy Recorded a song, or edited the sequence ?

Larry, My opinion-----
1-Each of the five tracks can be used.
2-Panel memory can be used.
3-You can go back to what you have recorded
and adjust volumes, instruments, and possible wrong notes.
4-You record through one time, no multiple recordings.
5-The recording should be live, not copied from another source that has other people's talents.

Now if that's not correct, I would hope to be corrected, I want to play with the same rules as everyone else.

I hope I didn't go to far with this, just my opinion. John C.

#44931 - 08/17/03 09:34 AM Re: Easy Record
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Larry,
supplementary to John's reply, maybe a better description could be: a live played song recorded with 'Easy Record'. Maybe one could say: 'playing with APC' or 'live played'. Perhaps I can made via an example what my description/intention is of 'Easy Record'.

When one play such a song, one can start in the middle or wait some measures and go on with the lead melody. The most flexible handling of the keyboard facilities. You are not 'bound' to a track/sequence which forced you to go on. You can at all moments use the pads, the sounds, the panelmemories etc.
This way of playing can be recorded. Mostly you have prepared some settings in e.g. the Panel Memories, or other sounds or user pads. The most easy method for this 'live' playing is the 'Easy Record' feature. It records all your 'movements' in your 'live' played song.

I hope one doesn't misunderstand me, another way of playing keyboards by multitracking, midi or whatever, have for me the same value. Many of us know the splendid songs what are made like that. I even believe it demands more and/or other skills and talents to make those songs. It's just a matter of choice.
It is my intention with the KESO-site to offer a rich variation of songs which are 'Easy Recorded' and 'live played' music which inspires and give pleasure to the visitors, and last but not least, thanks to all those great guestplayers.
Best greetings,
Cees

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 08-17-2003).]

#44932 - 08/17/03 09:57 AM Re: Easy Record
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
I may be wrong about this but from memory ( keyboard not available at moment) an Easy recorded song can be recognised immediately 'cos all the chord changes appear on the screen (they don't when sequencer is used) also if you press "exit" the names of the instruments being played show on the screen, which they don't on a sequenced song.

Peter

#44933 - 08/17/03 10:28 AM Re: Easy Record
lahawk Offline

My question wasn't meant to be "How to Easy Record", but rather "How can you tell if someone edited an Easy Record"

I always thought Easy Record meant the song was played, and recorded live exactly like it was played on your keyboard, and NO EDITING AFTERWARD .So if that is true, my question remains..How can we tell if someone edits the song after Easy Recording ?

Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 08-17-2003).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#44934 - 08/17/03 10:31 AM Re: Easy Record
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
This is so exciting. I have the KN6500. Can a submit songs to the KESO site or do I wait until Sept?

#44935 - 08/17/03 01:43 PM Re: Easy Record
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry, Unless a significant amount of editing has been done on an 'Easy Record' sequence, such as adding a post recorded track in Part4, in my opinion, you cannot really tell if the sequence has been edited. If the originator just wishes to correct a few bum notes, or maybe in the control track, add Fill-Ins, after recording, then it would be impossible to detect.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#44936 - 08/17/03 08:43 PM Re: Easy Record
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
This interesting discussion about Easy Record raises two questions in my mind: 1)Just how does one go about editing finished work in Easy Record? (It was always my assumption that corrections to "bum notes", editing sounds and/or rhythm sequences, adding additional sections, etc. could NOT be done in Easy Record but had to be done using the Sequencer. If I am mistaken, perhaps someone could explain in detail how to edit after having completed an Easy Record song!)

2) How do you "post record" in Part 4 or use the Control track to add additional aspects to the recording?

Every time I have recorded a song in Easy Record, I have been frustrated if and when I made a mistake or two and so I just started over again. Have I been totally ignorant about editing possibilities in this Easy Record system??? Wow! I have so much to learn about this instrument (KN 7000) I am overwhelmed!

Thanks for all the help this great Forum always has to offer us amateurs!

Ted

#44937 - 08/18/03 12:46 AM Re: Easy Record
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
My understanding of Easy Record is as Johns.

Ted - Re your statement - 'Wow! I have so much to learn about this instrument (KN 7000) I am overwhelmed!'

I agree - join the club - Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44938 - 08/18/03 12:48 AM Re: Easy Record
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44939 - 08/18/03 02:35 AM Re: Easy Record
cees Offline

d

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44940 - 08/18/03 02:37 AM Re: Easy Record
cees Offline

Hi best forummers,
there lies a whole range of possibilities beneath your questions .
A 'Easy Recorded' song has 6 tracks. Each track can be edited like e.g. step record. You can delete or insert notes, drums, panels, fill-ins, endings, pads, pictures etc. etc. etc.
In the manual you can find an overview of all those settings which can be (or has been) saved in each type of track. (in the Dutch version on page 76)
To edit a track you can go in (program menu) (sequencer) (edit & record) (step record) and there you can choose the track you want to edit.
Give it a try to look and examen in one of your own recorded songs.

Maybe this reply evoke more questions than answers, but we are so fortunate that we have all these knowledge with various Synthzone members . I only wanted to point at the scala of editing facilities.
Best to you,
Cees
P.S. I garantee that all my songs on KESO are really live played and recorded, include all those bugs . They have not been edited afterward. It's just a matter of my principle.
And believe me, with my limited skills I have to play each song over and over and over and over to get a result I am (almost) satisfied about

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44941 - 08/18/03 02:41 AM Re: Easy Record
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
[QUOTE] 1)Just how does one go about editing finished work in Easy Record? (It was always my assumption that corrections to "bum notes", editing sounds and/or rhythm sequences, adding additional sections, etc. could NOT be done in Easy Record but had to be done using the Sequencer.

Hi Ted
If you want to correct a bum note (e.g. made on the melody in Rt 1) go to Program menu>sequencer>record & edit>step record. Then select track 1 (Rt 1) go to the measure that contains the wrong note. Find the * which will display the wrong note played (e.g. Db) and use the up/down button to change the note. This method will retain the original velocity. Other editing is possible, velocity, length etc.
Editing in Easy Record is OK for the odd mistake, but very time consuming if you've hit a couple of wrong left hand chords at the wrong place in the song.
I prefer your current method of playing it over again - practice makes perfect.

John

#44942 - 08/18/03 02:52 AM Re: Easy Record

'Wow! I have so much to learn about this instrument (KN 7000) I am overwhelmed!'

Joan and Ted, How beautiful it is to have more to learn, to grow in what you're doing.
Without the challange,
life would be boring/sad. Keep going!!

I'm having a great day, John C.

#44943 - 08/18/03 06:49 AM Re: Easy Record
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
The advantage of not editing your song, and just playing it over and over until you are more satisfied, is that you get the practice and your next song will automatically be easier and better.

It is easy with this instrument into getting "trapped" into substituting technology for artistry.
If a song is produced entirely by sequencing, then, this is an art by itself and can produce a rendition that is superb and without noticeble errors. This is another area of expertise from live playing and my hat goes off to those who can do this.

My feeling is that when played "live" it should not be edited in any manner or any extra tracks added except to use track four as an added voice for Technichord purposes.
After all, our purpose here is not to produce professional or commercial performances, nor try to outdo each other, but to have fun and gain knowledge and ability as a by product.
I, personally, have enjoyed each and every song that has been published on Cees' site, regardless of the level of expertise of the player, from rank beginner to the Pro's.
Our real aim should be to encourage everyone to participate without intimidation or without a feeling of being inadequate.
Just my thoughts.
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44944 - 08/18/03 07:57 AM Re: Easy Record
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Walt, after reading your post I just sat back in my chair, stared at the screen and reread your words. Threw up my hands and shouted, now there’s a man that thinks just like me. Poking her head around the corner from the kitchen, Ruthie quipped, ‘heavens to Betsy, not another one like you’? Come on girl! Look! Cees, John and others all agree. Let er rip! If it don’t come out so good, give it another shot. After a few more shots if all the boo-boo’s don’t die let it all hang out for others to hear. After all, having fun is the name of the game. Remember Rue? You said I’ll take him for better or worse. Well you got me and I agreed to the same. All the time we spent together we got some good and some bad, but we sure had fun. After all we got six kids. Our mistakes and the boo-boo’s we make are the real us. Ruth and me have lived this way and it works. So Walt, Cees and you guys, yes, lets try to improve but lets not be afraid to present ourselves and our music as we are and not hide behind too much technology. After all, if we meet face to face someday, as I like to do, we will know each other as we are, not as we would like to be. I really like the way yo’all think. Thanks!

Grandpa Doug

#44945 - 08/18/03 08:21 AM Re: Easy Record
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
It seems to me, everybody is missing the real point of this debate. (a very interesting debate it is to).

Which is:- That in essence, the sole purpose of anybody preferring to listen to an 'easy recorded' song, as opposed to 'ANY' other form of recording, is the knowledge that the 'PERFORMER' really is 'A PERFORMER'. !!

The comments so far made by everyone strongly suggest this to be so. When listening to an 'easy-recorded' song, you know you're listening to somebody 'ACTUALLY' PLAYING. Or are you. ?? - I believe this to be the basis of Larrys original question.

If there is no way of knowing, because of 'step-record' - 'control track 6' - and other features, then even when we believe we're listening to the actual 'playing' skills of somebody, we may not be. !!!

What a shame. 'Tis the price of modern technology. And puts us all back to the argument:- Does modern technology enable us to 'cheat' so much, that actual talent and ability, takes a back seat. I think it does. !!! - What a cracking debate this is.

Colin Leaney.

#44946 - 08/18/03 09:05 AM Re: Easy Record
Mike ORegan Offline

Can I add my two-penn'orth to this discussion. I think that Easy Record should be even more restricted as follows:
a. No edited sounds
b. No custom styles
c. No multi-tracking
d. No Step recording
e. No other gimmicks.
In fact, think of Easy Record like this: You walk into a Technics Dealer and ask, "Is it OK to play the KN7K?" With approval, you press Easy Record, sit down and play. That's it! BTW, If you suspect that the Dealer has done ANYTHING to change the standard settings, then go for a complete reset before you play. If you do this then we can save a lot of disk space, time, etc. as it is only necessary to SAVE the Sequencer (one file). Finally, I must admit that MY Easy Play songs ONLY break Rule a. above ;>0
Mike O'R

#44947 - 08/18/03 11:03 AM Re: Easy Record

From Grandpa Doug's post ---

After all when we meet face to face someday as I like to do--(I had to add) They'll find out I can't play a note. aaahhh, eek, ha ha h

I feel all music rules need to be flexable if we are to enjoy what we are doing.

Are there players that will go beyond and do things to impress others--YES!!!

Dishonest, Maybe, it's not to important.

Are there others that want a good strong ruling so that we will all know about the next player--some--not me, that scares me!

I while ago I almost posted a subject on this forum that would have uncoverded some of the ways people are missrepresenting, no that's not a kind word, trying to gain recognition.

I decided I was wrong. If someone needs to do this why would I stand in their way and judge them. N.G.

I would like a general rule for Easy Record with some room for minor editing. If there are those who wish to go beyond this--so let it be. Not very important.

I need some editing because I'm a little pridefull---and I need not to do much editing, because I'm a little lazy.

Larry Hawk, somewhere in these posts you should find your answer.

Thanks for allowing my opinion.

Have an easy going day, John C.

#44948 - 08/18/03 11:44 AM Re: Easy Record
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Be assured that if and when you receive a song from me it is just exactly the way I played it in, and it is a first cut. The mistakes don't bother me because I am a jazz player and discords are part of jazz. It also doesn't bother me if it bothers you. You have a delete button. It was free, you have no obligation to like it or keep it. You might say thank you but your not obligated to do that either but remember that over time PEER PRESSURE will win out. Now you go figure that one out
I recorded music for years using several workstations in my recording studio and editing all night. There were no arranger keyboards then, Just sweat and tears. I for one like many got sick and tired of it and when the first arranger keyboard with a 6 track sequencer came out, I was first in line to buy it. I been buying them every since. NO MORE recording one track at a time or Editing all tracks at a time.
Best to all
Bebop

#44949 - 08/18/03 11:57 AM Re: Easy Record
cees Offline

Interesting post, Larry.

In my modest view I see two dimensions in this post.
A. the dimension of the PLAYER and
B. the dimension of the LISTENER.
Starting with the dimension of the LISTENER: she/he and nobody else definites the appreciating of a musicpiece. In this digitally subject one listen to it mostly via the speakers of via a soundsystem. It could be a CD, DVD, Radio or in our case a keyboard-sound-system. In fact he has nothing more to do than listening (and enjoy, I hope ).
Looking at the dimensions of the PLAYER: he can choose what 'instrument' he wants to play. A 'analog' piano, flute, drums, guitar. In this situation the player can only 'build' on his own skills to produce an acceptable standard in trying to enjoy the listener. If the player whishes he could choose to play not solo, but in a band. The reason? More instruments could make the song more attractive for other/certain listeners (they hope/expect). But in this case (with 'analoge' or 'unplugged' instruments) the point is still, they can only rely on their quality of playingskills.

Wow, this goes deep, hope you can (or want to) follow ?
However, we live in the digital century. The 'conventional musicinstruments' has got brothers and sisters. Computermusic, disco-music, synthesizers and keyboards. All 'sampled' and digitalized. You press a key and the buildin synthesizer produces all you want to hear (like sounds in 'conventional instruments' or even like 'human voices').
And now we have keyboards. Technology is still evoluating: we (I) follow; KN800 till KN8000? Who knows where it ends?

BUT: as I said that in case of an 'conventional instrument' (eg. guitar) you need to have good playingskills to make it enjoyable for certain listeners (It's only you and the guitar). When however one 'playes the keyboard', other skills could accomplish or made perfect the performance (for the players' own feelings, the listener judges himself!). These skills are how to use those features in that 'electronic monster'.

My point: the player makes the choice what instrument he wants and how he uses that instrument. It has a awsome amount of features build in. You can choose if you use them or not.

And related to 'Easy Recorded'? As I said, it doesn't matter for me, as a LISTENER, how that songs was composed. That was the choice of the player. As a LISTENER I only 'have to enjoy'. As a PLAYER I like to know sometimes if it is 'live' played, only with the reason to 'know' if it could be done by an 'human being' on this keyboard in a 'live' situation; this knowledge could help me 'to imitate' or 'to learn from' or 'to analyse' the song and to develop my playing- AND keyboard-user-skills.

And I suppose this is just the reason for my small 'preference' for 'Easy Recorded Songs'.

Pfff, End,
best greetings,
Cees

#44950 - 08/18/03 01:05 PM Re: Easy Record
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
This easy chord thread started by my good friend Larry Hawk is a subject close to my heart.
I have used it from day one. To me there is no other way. As Cees said I play the song over and over till I get it right. It may take a few plays or it may take a number of plays and also I may throw it out altogether.
If I can listen to it at least ten times and still enjoy it that is the song I send to Bill.

One of our forum members asked me if that is actually me playing. I emailed him saying with the exception of a canned intro and ending occasionally everything inbetween is all me. Fill ins and performace pads help enhance a performace but it is the performers feeling when to use these inhancers that make the difference.

Layering ,editing,twinking,etc never interested me.
I just enjoy sitting down and playing this great user friendly keyboard. Period.

Alex

#44951 - 08/18/03 01:45 PM Re: Easy Record
lahawk Offline

I think it comes down to the "honor system". While it really dosen't matter how you record a song, maybe the performer could tell us if any editing was done AFTER recording. And possibly inform us of how they edited the song. That way we will all know how to achieve a better recording of our own.

To me, substituting sounds, fill-ins, tempo, etc. after Easy Recording is indeed "editing" and probably should not be classified as Easy Record.

So maybe there should be 2 catagories:

1. Easy Record No Edit (Saved exactly as played)

or

2. Easy Record Edited (Saved after some modifications)

I like both recording styles, however, I agree with Colin, its nice to know if the recording was done live with no edits.

Thanks,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#44952 - 08/18/03 01:54 PM Re: Easy Record
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Easy record is the only way I've recorded, too. I've said it's to keep the music simple, but mostly it's because I'm too lazy to go into a lot of production for a song. I will practice the song over and over until I can play through without a mistake, then kick in the EZ record. However, when I hit a wrong note or chord at the end of a song, I will go into the editor to repair it, rather then start over. By the way, for those of you who don't know the difference.... once you use easy record to perform a song and you finish, it becomes a sequenced song and can be modified or edited with the sequencer editor. Remember also, when you use Technichord during the recording stage and need to repair a mistake, you have to alter both R1 and R2 instruments to get rid of the total doink. Sometimes one can tell if the song has been edited because not many players are so perfect that every note is in the proper position. Once one learns to use the many functions of the sequencer editor, you will understand what I'm talking about. I don't think it matters one way or the other if anyone uses the editor to correct a few mistakes, but practice on the keyboard will always make you a better player, and as you grow you'll have less and less mistakes to worry about. You'll also find that most people don't care if they hear a wrong note. Like Bebop says...it didn't cost them anything in the first place. And, they can always dump the song and keep the style.

#44953 - 08/18/03 01:57 PM Re: Easy Record
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I don't understand why some are against using the facilities provided by our great keyboards. The comment about No Edited sounds, No Custom Styles, No Multi Tracking..... WHY??
What difference does it make whether you use a standard built in sound or one which has been 'Tweaked' slightly to better fit the song/tune? If a particular song/tune would sound better if one of the built in styles was slightly modified then why not modify it? If a particular recording would be improved by adding say a counter melody in Part 4 then why not add it? If someone creates a really super Jazz Style, then why should it not be used in Easy Record? The creation of new Styles is an art in itself
None of the above detracts from the player's performing skill. For instance, adding a counter melody to Track 4 is just like having two musicians playing together in real time except that the single performer is playing both parts. This shows that the performer has an extra skill - the ability to compose and play the counter melody, thus enhancing the total musical experience.
Anyone with knowledge of the KN instruments, or indeed is of a musical 'bent', will be able to easily recognise that the resultant recording has been multi tracked so no one is being duped into thinking that everything has been recorded as One Take.
Anyone remember Les Paul? - The innovative guitarist of the 50s who did many superb recordings using the available limited technology - nobody doubted his playing skills.
I find that using Easy Record, is a good way of 'Laying down' the basic format of a song/tune which I may or may not subsequently edit.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#44954 - 08/18/03 02:10 PM Re: Easy Record
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi All,

This thread has been so interesting. I am impressed by the friendliness of the chatter and the diversity of opinion. I agree with your remarks, Bill, concerning recording one track at a time as we had to do in the past. It was indeed hard work and very time consuming. Easy Record is likely to be the only method I will use when I begin making recordings to share with all of you. All of you have given me a good lesson in using Easy Record and I appreciate it. You are a great bunch of people.

Chuck

#44955 - 08/18/03 05:23 PM Re: Easy Record
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Hi All,
I don’t know if this adds to the thread or not!
But hear goes.
I only record in Ease Record. When I recorded
Stranger In Paradise recently, I used the intro from
Organ Foxtrot, which I put in p.m. 8, at the end of the intro,
with the foot switch I changed to p.m.1 where I had the Theatre
Organ set up from the ‘Music Disk Collection’. I played Stranger
In Paradise, using Busker Style chords and melody line, I switched to p.m.5 for contrast then back to p.m.1. At the end of the song,
I switched back to p.m.8 and used the ending of Organ Foxtrot.
The over all result, was only brought about by 1.The people who
made the Styles, 2.The people who made those lovely Organ sounds, and
3 the people who reduced this lovely song to chords and melody line.
The end result is down to me, but could never have been brought about,
without the professionalism of those other people. With the KN7000,
no matter how good I think I sound, I have no delusions it’s all me.
The point I am trying to make is, how can any one say with certainty which parts of the final song is actually me.
I’m just a reluctant musician who taught himself chords and melody line. But that’s another long story.
Fred UK

#44956 - 08/18/03 05:38 PM Re: Easy Record
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
To answer Bill Norrie who said "why are some people against using the Technical features of our keyboard".
I do not think anyone is against using its Technical features.

Multi recording. Easy recording. It is a personal choice.
No matter what method you choose to record in the most important thing is that you are happy and enjoy playing your keyboard.

Alex

#44957 - 08/18/03 06:29 PM Re: Easy Record
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Interesting, Interesting!
What a great diversity of opinions. All correct!
To make sure that everyone understands my viewpoint, I am not against any form of making music. As I said previously, I have enjoyed every piece of music that has been presented on the forum and on Cees' site.

Some have been produced entirely by entering one note at a time using step record. Some have been layered, one track at a time, by actually playing each track and adding to that already recorded, and some by a combination of both.
Some have been easy recorded using only default styles and sounds that are native to the keyboard as received from the factory with no post editing.
Others have easy recorded using a combination of default factory styles and voices, plus edited styles, intro's, endings and voices with no post editing of any kind. (This is the method that I have used for the songs that I have presented).
Others have used any or all of the above easy record methods plus post editing to correct mistakes or change voices, add fills, change endings, ETC.

All methods make good music that is worth listening to with the final quality of the result dependent on the skill of the music maker, whether it be finger dexterity, chord voicing, composition, layering and sequencing skills, or whatever.

I think that this whole thread goes back to Cees' request that on his web site he would like only songs by easy record method.

My opinion is that using factory defaults, edited styles, edited voices, edited intros, edited endings, ETC., but played in real time without post editing, most closely fits the description of "easy record only".
In other words, it should sound exactly as if you recorded it while playing for an audience.

I believe that the value of this is that the listener/keyboard player can easily disect the piece and learn something from it besides just enjoying it.
This of course puts some restrictions on what songs are presented to Cees' site.
Perhaps Cees would consider another page on his site devoted solely to sequenced songs, sequenced plus layered, post edited, ETC.
There was a good suggestion that the player note what was edited and how it was done -- this would be a good learning tool for us not experienced in sequencing and editing.
Again, just my thoughts,
Regards to all,
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44958 - 08/18/03 07:24 PM Re: Easy Record
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hay Larry, are you some kind of a pro for starting these great threads?

Grandpa Doug

#44959 - 08/18/03 07:32 PM Re: Easy Record

Wow, 29 posts, tell me that this is not an important issue to many.

I am going to try and express what is not really been said here. In my post on this topic I said,"Well it's not important".

That is what I have chosen to feel and beleive about the subject. The human part of me is feeling somewhat different.
It's saying:
1-I have put in xx hours in ceating my sequence, now I am listening to Joe Smith sequence and it's better. How did he do it. I bet he step timed the music from the orig. score. Maybe it's not his playing. Could he be that good/perfect? I doubt it.

2-These are honest thoughts, their human thoughts. I need to know, how will I ever know how well I'm doing. I think I did that part better than him.
3-I wish to be in the center, to be recognized. I want my share of the spot light.

You can not deny these feelings, their are real. They need to be understood. They are not as bad as they appear to be. They need to be answered. I feel the underlining reason for many of these posts are based on these feelings.

Now that I have let my dark side out let me go back to being a gentleman. Larry's statement of a honer system sounds great. It's all that we have without adding a list of harmfull rules.

Cees is doing a fantastic job. These posts should not add any burdens to what he already has. Let's keep it simple. Let's not create a four page list of rules applying to Easy Record. here's my list:
1-create your sequence using easy record.
2-Then, if you wish you can do some minor editing. Always keepin an honor system in mind. If you need to go much beyond that, you be going beyond, I feel we will lose the purity of Cees Easy Record site. If a note was recorded as Eb when it should have been F#, then correct it, why not. But if you spend a great deal of time editing we all lose. Keep it simple, and keep it simple.
3-I have no opinion on edited sounds, or styles that are not in the keyboard.

For myself, I am going to follow just what Cees is asking for. If I send in a sequence with every bell,whislte, and trick in the keyboard, I will state in clear language what I have done, so that others may benfit.

Sorry if my post was long, I needed to express my feelings on the subject.

I hope everyone is enjoying this forum as much as I do.
Have a nice day, John C.

#44960 - 08/18/03 09:02 PM Re: Easy Record
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Hi Folks: "The oldest posters" thought is this. If most of us could sequence a song like Larry does, with his skill and knowledge, how different would our outlook be on this thread? I know if I could do it like he does, I would be sequencing most of the time. I have always played golf, but if I played like "Tiger" and you wanted to talk to me, hey, you know where to look for me.
Great Forum, Great Thread,---------ARJ

#44961 - 08/19/03 12:00 AM Re: Easy Record
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
What a super honest thread this has been.

My final view having read everything. ?

Any attitude-theory-judgement of the merits of 'easy record' and all other methods of recording, must surely be based upon 'WHAT THE INDIVIDUAL WANTS FROM HIS MACHINE'. !!!

Whilst nobody doubts that any 'easy recording' which has not been subjected to any editing at all, displays a certain 'playing' ability, it is not to suppose that others, who prefer to do things differently, are in any way inferior players. In fact, quite the reverse might apply. !!

I very rarely do easy record. My reasons for for not doing so, have nothing to do with my playing abilities. My sole reason for having my keyboard, is to get the enjoymant and satisfaction of trying to learn 'arrangement and orchestration'. The 'EASY RECORD FACILITY WILL NOT GIVE ME THIS'. I can only begin to achieve what I want, by using the 16 track sequencer.

By it's very nature, the 'easy record' facility is nothing more than an easy and convenient method of multi-tracking. As such, if un-edited, it most certainly does display the playing abilities of the player.

But, the ability to blend 16 different tracks together, by 'ACTUALLY PLAYING THE NOTES OF AT LEAST 10 OF THE TRACKS' is surely displaying a greater, and just as honest degree of ability.

The ability to record/play a complete song in the composer only, shows an even greater ability. So, there are many facets to the submissions we make. All in the cause of giving us enjoyment and satisfaction.

However, I do agree with others, when they suggest that perhaps an explanation as to 'HOW' a recording was made, might make for a world of better harmony. (no pun intended). - Happy 'Musicating'.

Colin Leaney

#44962 - 08/19/03 02:50 PM Re: Easy Record
lahawk Offline

My final opinion on this subect is that Easy Record should be just that EASY

If you edit afterward, that's work, and work ain't EASY...

...unless you work like my good friend Grandpa does, which is, hardly working...
(At least that's Ruthie's claim)

SeeYa,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#44963 - 08/19/03 03:30 PM Re: Easy Record

This is my last time around.

This WAS NOT Easy Record.

How I recorded,"How deep is your love", from Saturday Night Fever. Bebop sent this song out to all on the lista while back.

1-I purchased the sheet music--Melody line with chords, and right and left hand for piano.
2-After deciding what measure I wanted to start in, I step timed the melody, with all the repeats.
3-I step timed the bass line from the left hand of the piano part.
4-If there were any notes in the right hand of the piano part beside the melody, I step timed them to a different track with a different instrument. Sometimes if there was enough happening I step time a third track,with a different instrument.
5-If there were any notes other than the bass line in the left hand of the piano part, I step timed them to a different track with a different instrument.

With the control and chord track I had a 8 tracks. When the piano player reads and plays the music as it is written, it sounds somewhat like the orgi. recording. The bass line was written for the song, and so are the extra little fill-ins.

Now I have have 8 tracks recorded. I displayed my ability to read music, and my knowledge of the keyboard. I did not play ONE NOTE LIVE. This is not wrong, I was creating, I was getting the feel of the song.
I think for ME, I will enclude
"How I Did It" if it's not easy record in the future.

John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 08-19-2003).]

#44964 - 08/19/03 03:44 PM Re: Easy Record
cees Offline

Hi John,
up above I had one of my replies, I thought it was the shortest. Only a 'd', now you have a 't'. Only We understand this code, don't we?
Cees

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
t

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 08-19-2003).]

#44965 - 08/19/03 03:58 PM Re: Easy Record

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cees:
[B]Hi John,
up above I had one of my replies, I thought it was the shortest. Only a 'd', now you have a 't'. Only We understand this code, don't we?
Cees
Hi Cees, I thought I deleted that post. I was almost finished writing my post when I pressed something, have no idea what, and it went away. Yes, it went away, that is it all went away but the "T" Strange.

Cheers, John C.

#44966 - 08/20/03 01:19 AM Re: Easy Record
cees Offline

Hi best Zoners,
Accordingly to all those very interesting contributions to this enlightening post I feel the need to made my summary.
The songs that I appreciate the most on KESO are made as follows:
1. The keyboardist makes her/his preparation to play a song.
This preparations could be:
i. Using all the factory settings of the keyboard (in fact: pressing the ‘Easy Record’-button and start playing OR
ii. Loading or setting up (self made or collected):
a. desired rhythms in the composermemory and/or
b. desired sounds in the soundmemory and/or
c. desired user effect and/or
d. desired user pad and/or
e. desired panel memorie registrations and/or
f. other desired keyboard settings ….
2. After this ‘preparation’ he pushes the ‘Easy Record’ button and
3. He starts playing.
4. When he is ready he stops the ‘record-stop’ button.
5. END!!!!
6. The new song is born!. Now it can be saved, zipped and send to KESO for placing on the guestplayer’s Personal Page …….

This ‘clarifycation’ will be added on the on KESO-page. Thank you all for the positive way in sharing our thoughts on this subject. I liked it, a big applause worth!
Cees

#44967 - 08/20/03 02:24 AM Re: Easy Record

I feel the need to made my summary.

Cees, And so beith! AMEN!!!!
John C.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online