cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
d

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44940 - 08/18/03 02:37 AM Re: Easy Record
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi best forummers,
there lies a whole range of possibilities beneath your questions .
A 'Easy Recorded' song has 6 tracks. Each track can be edited like e.g. step record. You can delete or insert notes, drums, panels, fill-ins, endings, pads, pictures etc. etc. etc.
In the manual you can find an overview of all those settings which can be (or has been) saved in each type of track. (in the Dutch version on page 76)
To edit a track you can go in (program menu) (sequencer) (edit & record) (step record) and there you can choose the track you want to edit.
Give it a try to look and examen in one of your own recorded songs.

Maybe this reply evoke more questions than answers, but we are so fortunate that we have all these knowledge with various Synthzone members . I only wanted to point at the scala of editing facilities.
Best to you,
Cees
P.S. I garantee that all my songs on KESO are really live played and recorded, include all those bugs . They have not been edited afterward. It's just a matter of my principle.
And believe me, with my limited skills I have to play each song over and over and over and over to get a result I am (almost) satisfied about

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44941 - 08/18/03 02:41 AM Re: Easy Record
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
[QUOTE] 1)Just how does one go about editing finished work in Easy Record? (It was always my assumption that corrections to "bum notes", editing sounds and/or rhythm sequences, adding additional sections, etc. could NOT be done in Easy Record but had to be done using the Sequencer.

Hi Ted
If you want to correct a bum note (e.g. made on the melody in Rt 1) go to Program menu>sequencer>record & edit>step record. Then select track 1 (Rt 1) go to the measure that contains the wrong note. Find the * which will display the wrong note played (e.g. Db) and use the up/down button to change the note. This method will retain the original velocity. Other editing is possible, velocity, length etc.
Editing in Easy Record is OK for the odd mistake, but very time consuming if you've hit a couple of wrong left hand chords at the wrong place in the song.
I prefer your current method of playing it over again - practice makes perfect.

John

#44942 - 08/18/03 02:52 AM Re: Easy Record
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
'Wow! I have so much to learn about this instrument (KN 7000) I am overwhelmed!'

Joan and Ted, How beautiful it is to have more to learn, to grow in what you're doing.
Without the challange,
life would be boring/sad. Keep going!!

I'm having a great day, John C.

#44943 - 08/18/03 06:49 AM Re: Easy Record
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
The advantage of not editing your song, and just playing it over and over until you are more satisfied, is that you get the practice and your next song will automatically be easier and better.

It is easy with this instrument into getting "trapped" into substituting technology for artistry.
If a song is produced entirely by sequencing, then, this is an art by itself and can produce a rendition that is superb and without noticeble errors. This is another area of expertise from live playing and my hat goes off to those who can do this.

My feeling is that when played "live" it should not be edited in any manner or any extra tracks added except to use track four as an added voice for Technichord purposes.
After all, our purpose here is not to produce professional or commercial performances, nor try to outdo each other, but to have fun and gain knowledge and ability as a by product.
I, personally, have enjoyed each and every song that has been published on Cees' site, regardless of the level of expertise of the player, from rank beginner to the Pro's.
Our real aim should be to encourage everyone to participate without intimidation or without a feeling of being inadequate.
Just my thoughts.
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 08-18-2003).]

#44944 - 08/18/03 07:57 AM Re: Easy Record
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Walt, after reading your post I just sat back in my chair, stared at the screen and reread your words. Threw up my hands and shouted, now there’s a man that thinks just like me. Poking her head around the corner from the kitchen, Ruthie quipped, ‘heavens to Betsy, not another one like you’? Come on girl! Look! Cees, John and others all agree. Let er rip! If it don’t come out so good, give it another shot. After a few more shots if all the boo-boo’s don’t die let it all hang out for others to hear. After all, having fun is the name of the game. Remember Rue? You said I’ll take him for better or worse. Well you got me and I agreed to the same. All the time we spent together we got some good and some bad, but we sure had fun. After all we got six kids. Our mistakes and the boo-boo’s we make are the real us. Ruth and me have lived this way and it works. So Walt, Cees and you guys, yes, lets try to improve but lets not be afraid to present ourselves and our music as we are and not hide behind too much technology. After all, if we meet face to face someday, as I like to do, we will know each other as we are, not as we would like to be. I really like the way yo’all think. Thanks!

Grandpa Doug

#44945 - 08/18/03 08:21 AM Re: Easy Record
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
It seems to me, everybody is missing the real point of this debate. (a very interesting debate it is to).

Which is:- That in essence, the sole purpose of anybody preferring to listen to an 'easy recorded' song, as opposed to 'ANY' other form of recording, is the knowledge that the 'PERFORMER' really is 'A PERFORMER'. !!

The comments so far made by everyone strongly suggest this to be so. When listening to an 'easy-recorded' song, you know you're listening to somebody 'ACTUALLY' PLAYING. Or are you. ?? - I believe this to be the basis of Larrys original question.

If there is no way of knowing, because of 'step-record' - 'control track 6' - and other features, then even when we believe we're listening to the actual 'playing' skills of somebody, we may not be. !!!

What a shame. 'Tis the price of modern technology. And puts us all back to the argument:- Does modern technology enable us to 'cheat' so much, that actual talent and ability, takes a back seat. I think it does. !!! - What a cracking debate this is.

Colin Leaney.

#44946 - 08/18/03 09:05 AM Re: Easy Record
Mike ORegan Offline

Can I add my two-penn'orth to this discussion. I think that Easy Record should be even more restricted as follows:
a. No edited sounds
b. No custom styles
c. No multi-tracking
d. No Step recording
e. No other gimmicks.
In fact, think of Easy Record like this: You walk into a Technics Dealer and ask, "Is it OK to play the KN7K?" With approval, you press Easy Record, sit down and play. That's it! BTW, If you suspect that the Dealer has done ANYTHING to change the standard settings, then go for a complete reset before you play. If you do this then we can save a lot of disk space, time, etc. as it is only necessary to SAVE the Sequencer (one file). Finally, I must admit that MY Easy Play songs ONLY break Rule a. above ;>0
Mike O'R

#44947 - 08/18/03 11:03 AM Re: Easy Record
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
From Grandpa Doug's post ---

After all when we meet face to face someday as I like to do--(I had to add) They'll find out I can't play a note. aaahhh, eek, ha ha h

I feel all music rules need to be flexable if we are to enjoy what we are doing.

Are there players that will go beyond and do things to impress others--YES!!!

Dishonest, Maybe, it's not to important.

Are there others that want a good strong ruling so that we will all know about the next player--some--not me, that scares me!

I while ago I almost posted a subject on this forum that would have uncoverded some of the ways people are missrepresenting, no that's not a kind word, trying to gain recognition.

I decided I was wrong. If someone needs to do this why would I stand in their way and judge them. N.G.

I would like a general rule for Easy Record with some room for minor editing. If there are those who wish to go beyond this--so let it be. Not very important.

I need some editing because I'm a little pridefull---and I need not to do much editing, because I'm a little lazy.

Larry Hawk, somewhere in these posts you should find your answer.

Thanks for allowing my opinion.

Have an easy going day, John C.

#44948 - 08/18/03 11:44 AM Re: Easy Record
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Be assured that if and when you receive a song from me it is just exactly the way I played it in, and it is a first cut. The mistakes don't bother me because I am a jazz player and discords are part of jazz. It also doesn't bother me if it bothers you. You have a delete button. It was free, you have no obligation to like it or keep it. You might say thank you but your not obligated to do that either but remember that over time PEER PRESSURE will win out. Now you go figure that one out
I recorded music for years using several workstations in my recording studio and editing all night. There were no arranger keyboards then, Just sweat and tears. I for one like many got sick and tired of it and when the first arranger keyboard with a 6 track sequencer came out, I was first in line to buy it. I been buying them every since. NO MORE recording one track at a time or Editing all tracks at a time.
Best to all
Bebop

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online