SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#449064 - 03/20/18 12:22 PM Younger generation creating music no arranger..
Dnj Offline

they are using so many different tools available to them as shown, loopers, etc, and why not for music creation mix it up..
it's exciting to watch the creation process of the future unfold without an arranger kb in site.... cool2

keys

Edited by Dnj (03/20/18 01:10 PM)

#449074 - 03/20/18 04:13 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bobby is a real favorite of mine, and this young lady has a really pleasing, quality voice and style.

The looper is pretty common, these days.

R.

Who is she?

Edited by captain Russ (03/20/18 04:15 PM)

#449075 - 03/20/18 06:10 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

#449081 - 03/20/18 11:17 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ed Sheeran does this live on stage pretty much every time he plays "Shape of You"

#449082 - 03/20/18 11:59 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
It gets boring real fast

#449089 - 03/21/18 04:06 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

The yamaha motif and moxf pattern sequencer are an incredible tool based on this looper idea...

They where thrown out with the montage...
Still sad about that...
I expected to see the feature back in the Genos....
Sadly it didn’t happen...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#449106 - 03/21/18 07:36 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

lets not forget the arranger in itself is just a type of controllable repetitive smf "LOOPER too"

Edited by Dnj (03/21/18 07:37 AM)

#449119 - 03/21/18 09:51 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Interesting, but my favorite part of this song is the changes ... I prefer the original chords.

#449126 - 03/21/18 11:37 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I liked it! Looping is a great way for a multi instrumentalist to show off their skills.

I really love the chord sequencer on the Korgs. I was disappointed the Genos nor the psr 975 don’t have this feature.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#449129 - 03/21/18 11:51 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
I liked it! Looping is a great way for a multi instrumentalist to show off their skills.

I really love the chord sequencer on the Korgs. I was disappointed the Genos nor the psr 975 don’t have this feature.

I agree Paul Yamaha has to catch up on a few features for sure ...glad we have choices.. that's said she really mixed it up which I love, taking a song into a new direction creativly always sparks my interest.

Edited by Dnj (03/22/18 08:22 AM)

#449164 - 03/22/18 05:51 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Still got her pajamas on - that's dedication smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#449171 - 03/22/18 07:06 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

laugh2

#449178 - 03/22/18 08:21 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Interesting, but my favorite part of this song is the changes ... I prefer the original chords.

That's a much nicer way of saying what I was thinking smile smile.

chas

#449180 - 03/22/18 08:24 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles

chas

sure anyone can reproduce and karaokeize a song...but to "change it" her own way is masterful....and besides who are we to judge....I hope to see more of her work in the future ...good luck to her and others like her...it's time to move ahead from the old way of thinking imo...

Edited by Dnj (03/22/18 08:30 AM)

#449183 - 03/22/18 08:35 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By cgiles

chas

....and besides who are we to judge....
Geez, we just expressed an opinion. Aren't we entitled to one? And AREN'T YOU JUDGING US? BTW, I only echoed what Dave was saying, how come you didn't (negatively) respond to his post but took you only about 30 seconds to respond to mine? Just sayin'.

chas

#449246 - 03/23/18 06:53 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Not into the looping much, too repetitive but her voice has a Diana Krall sound to it. Nice.
It would come off much better with and Arranger and correctchord changes.

#449258 - 03/23/18 11:24 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Bill Lewis]
spalding1968 Offline

Agreed . The looping thing gets old real quick . Love her voice though

#449259 - 03/23/18 11:39 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By spalding1968
Agreed . The looping thing gets old real quick . Love her voice though

might be old for the OLD.....but not for the younger generation...

#449261 - 03/23/18 11:58 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

It would come off much better with and Arranger and correctchord changes.

Maybe sonically it would come come across better with an arranger, but not visually. The interesting thing about looping is seeing the performer play several parts on different instruments.

As far as the chord changes, nothing wrong with reharmonization. I think she has the skills and ears to figure out the original changes .I believe she simplified the changes for a musical reason, which is to give the song a rock feel. Jazzers have always reharmonized pop songs often with more complex changes. She’s doing the opposite. Different approach for a different musical genre.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#449264 - 03/23/18 01:24 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

saw her on the jimmy kimmel show also..

#449272 - 03/23/18 02:29 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I know I'm old and my hearing is shot to Hell, but I couldn't understand a single word she was singing. She has nice, pleasing tones, but between the echo and reverb, even using that incredibly expensive studio mic, to me, here words were unintelligible. And, I played the song through my Yamaha MS50 sound system plugged into my PC.

Thinking it was just MY hearing problem, I asked my daughter to listen, and she said the same thing, and she's relatively young at 48. She also said the style of music didn't really appeal to her, either. My three, 19 to 27 year old granddaughters were not keen on this performance as well.

So, where are all these YOUNG audiences? I guess they must be north of the Mason/Dixon Line, or in southern California. They're not at the nite clubs in my part of the world, not at the high end restaurants, not anywhere that I can think of. When they have concerts at Baltimore's Inner Harbor, which draws sold out crowds at every week, the concert promoters bring in the old farts, Jimmy Buffett, Zach Brown, Blake Shelton, Alan Jackson, etc... Why, because they draw huge crowds everyplace they perform.

Sorry Donny, I just don't buy that young stuff you have been spouting about for the past 5 years. Same goes for the gloom and doom of arranger keyboards. I sincerely believe that arranger keyboards will be around longer than any of us on this forum.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#449276 - 03/23/18 03:30 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Gary ... The young audiences I know through my four 17 to 20 year old grandchildren are listening to performers like Ed Sheeran, Camila Cabello, Drake, Ariana Grande, etc.,etc.,etc. and these performers are selling out arenas all over the world ... and yes, a lot of them are using all kinds of technology to create their music ... When I'm around my grandkids I can barely make out some of the artist's lyrics, but they can sing every one of them - just like we did in the 50's and 60's with Elvis, Chuck, The Platters, etc. ...
Today's music is not any more about US than our music was for our parents ...
Fortunately, I have seen enough of our grandkid's high school music programs to realize that while there is a lot of music being produced electronically, there are still a LOT of kids learning all kinds of musical instruments, and playing all kinds of music including Jazz and Classical in the high schools ...
However, while I have seen many keyboards being played in these musical productions, I have never seen an arranger ... even the arranger I gave to one of my grandsons is used only as a piano, except when I am playing it ...
So while arrangers may out last a lot of us ( and unfortunately that's not saying much wink ), I think that, at least in the US, they will be played mostly by 'older' people ...

#449282 - 03/23/18 07:05 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, older folks have been playing all kinds of musical instruments for as long as I can remember, all kinds of musical instruments. I learned how to play a guitar from one of my school mates father. He was in his 50s then and I learned a lot from him. I learned how to play a mandolin from a fiddle player who was 90 when I met him. He performed on stage until he was 95. I learned how to play a harmonica from a 76 year old neighbor who gave me a neat Honer Chromatic. We learn a lot from old folks, mainly because they are a lot more experienced than young folks and they're by and large, pretty damned smart. smile

Gary cool

#449284 - 03/23/18 07:16 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Gary, I think you totally missed my point ... it wasn't about 'older' people not playing other instruments, it was about younger people not playing arranger keyboards ...

#449285 - 03/23/18 07:47 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: tony mads usa]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
..... my four 17 to 20 year old grandchildren are listening to performers like Ed Sheeran, Camila Cabello, Drake, Ariana Grande, etc.,etc.,etc. and these performers are selling out arenas all over the world ... and yes, a lot of them are using all kinds of technology to create their music ... When I'm around my grandkids I can barely make out some of the artist's lyrics, but they can sing every one of them - just like we did in the 50's and 60's with Elvis, Chuck, The Platters, etc. ...
Today's music is not any more about US than our music was for our parents ...

Well said. You hit the nail on the head. Us old folks are lucky to have old folks who still appreciate what WE do.

Eddie

#449297 - 03/24/18 07:26 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, I guess I did miss your point. I guess only older folks play arranger keyboards, and maybe, just maybe, some of those younger folks will get older and purchase arranger keyboards and play to the next crop of old folks that is coming along. Keep in mind, there will always be another crop of old folks coming along and that's why we have so many retirement communities spring up throughout the nation. I guess, in that respect, there will always be arranger keyboards around so they can be entertained by other older folks. Youngsters cannot afford to spend $7,000 to $10,000 on an entire system, keyboard, mixer, PA system, stands, seat, cart, etc..., and probably wouldn't spend that much on any musical instrument, anyway. wink

Gary cool

#449300 - 03/24/18 08:49 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Roland E-X20 Arranger Keyboard:
The portable keyboard that sparks your child’s passion for music.

Edited by Dnj (03/24/18 08:50 AM)

#449303 - 03/24/18 11:22 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Wow, so much for 'wrong chords'

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#449304 - 03/24/18 11:26 AM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zuki
Originally Posted By Dnj

Wow, so much for 'wrong chords'

#449310 - 03/24/18 04:19 PM Re: Younger generation creating music no arranger.. [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

That was not live . There was definitely a prerecorded keyboard track in there given that there was a completely new chord progression towards the end that she had not played when building up the tracks . There were also no pedals on the floor to trigger , stop or re trigger her loops . Disappointing 🤨

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online