SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#448572 - 03/14/18 07:55 AM mixer or not
zuki Offline

I still struggle with the idea of having no mixer in my setup. I was advised by tech guys that you should always run a mixer, as a keyboard player, even if powered speakers are used.

Today I'm going to try running straight from my keyboard into my QSCs. I need to know if this will diminish the signal/sound I'm getting now. (and I do mix all my arrangements to the hilt). If it works ok, maybe I'll one day use the keyboard controls (vocal mixer, harmonizer, etc and basic MAXX settings). Makes me nervous trying to balance vocals and keyboard setting without a mixer.

Is anyone doing now what I'm hoping to do? Comments appreciated.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#448581 - 03/14/18 08:15 AM Re: mixer or not [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Thats the beauty of the LD systems maui 5's the onboard mixer is just a close reach away from you.....oh did I mention they sound great too! cool2

http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui...-and-bluetooth/

Attachments
Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Dnj (03/14/18 08:19 AM)

#448582 - 03/14/18 08:19 AM Re: mixer or not [Re: zuki]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Zuki I have been doing this for 5 years now I find with powered Sprakers they are very true much faster set up go direct from keyboard to powered speakers

qsc K8 set up in 10 min and ready to go

mic i use keyboard xlr hook up on Genos EQ if you need any use keyboard it is realiy a mixer too the nice thing about using Mic set up on keyboard tyou can use voc harm and control you vol very easy no extra cords tables ect with mixer also if you are using IPAD the go thru st inputs and you have control of that too if I am using guitar pedal i use bluetooth from pedal the Ipad

this is all I need

very seldom use mixer only time I do is if I have multiple players then I use mixer

other wise leave it at home and dont look back

#448587 - 03/14/18 09:07 AM Re: mixer or not [Re: zuki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've done it both ways. As I explained earlier, an external mixer allows more versatility.
If you are just doing a solo, with no other sources to mix, the mixer would not be necessary.
The sound is not altered unless you alter it with the mixer. In other words if you are running the e.q. on the mixer flat, the sound will all be mixed from the arranger.

#448594 - 03/14/18 10:18 AM Re: mixer or not [Re: zuki]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
I run my gig setup both ways.

For the duo, I use the Sonar (Roland) VS-100 as my mixer. 2 vocals with FX and compression... keys in stereo... my other vocal processor (Roland VP-7)... digital coax in for a digital out on my CD player if needed. It also has all of our tracks
backed up on the mixer’s SD drive. Main out 1/4” balanced to the powered speakers.

When I do a solo... my mic to the keyboard... balanced 1/4” TRS to XLR male into the powered Speakers. I use the knobs and sliders on the Pa4X to control the balance and overall volume. Works the same way as using a mixer. Plus, the MAXX audio tools help to shape what you want.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#448622 - 03/14/18 02:42 PM Re: mixer or not [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By zuki

Today I'm going to try running straight from my keyboard into my QSCs. I need to know if this will diminish the signal/sound I'm getting now. (and I do mix all my arrangements to the hilt). If it works ok, maybe I'll one day use the keyboard controls (vocal mixer, harmonizer, etc and basic MAXX settings). Makes me nervous trying to balance vocals and keyboard setting without a mixer.

zuki ... I am curious as to why you need to make constant and 'on the fly' EQ and volume changes during a performance ... If all your arrangements are pre-mixed "to the hilt", shouldn't you just have to make some minor adjustments depending on the particular venue? ... and couldn't those be made with the EQ controls on powered speakers?
I use a mixer when I have another player with me, or if I know someone is going to make announcements or speeches through my PA ... otherwise I just run my mic through the KB (Pa900) and run two cables out to my powered speakers ...

#448640 - 03/14/18 04:46 PM Re: mixer or not [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

t,

It is overkill, but I've never had success on any of my keyboards' mic feature, thus the mixer. I really don't touch the mixer EQ, because most things are really balanced. Additionally, I run all flat and use no additional keyboard effects.

My goal is to try the mic input on the 4X and eventually eliminate the mixer. But first, I have to map my 3X to the 4X - never ends.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#448642 - 03/14/18 04:51 PM Re: mixer or not [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Jim ... thanks for the reply ...
Hey it's all good, going from one KB to a newer one ... best of luck ...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online