SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#448683 - 03/15/18 05:57 AM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Bernie9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I like to spend at least an hour per day with music and that’s not nearly enough. 2 to 3 hours would be more to my liking and on occasion I do get that amount of time. Some days I work on piano solo material but most of the time is devoted to the arranger(s).

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I am at one of my three keyboards at least seven hours a day when I am not playing out. I am always looking to improve something. It is either organizing material for a show, learning new songs, improving on registrations, or learning something new about the keyboards.

People may say to get a life. Well. this is my life, and I love every minute of it.

Bernie have to say I’m envious of you with that amount of time. I could spend that amount of time every day because it’s what I love doing. Unfortunately, I have a wife who thinks just because I know how to play already I don’t need to improve or work on the instrument. Her thought is I’m stealing hours from our retirement when I play too much. We’ve had some debates about that topic in the past. I don’t think non-musicians or those who do not have a time consuming hobby would understand it’s a labor of love. I guess it comes down to balance.

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/15/18 06:01 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling correction

#448686 - 03/15/18 06:02 AM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Bernie9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

People may say to get a life. Well. this is my life, and I love every minute of it.

+1 keys

#448688 - 03/15/18 06:06 AM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
I like to spend at least an hour per day with music and that’s not nearly enough. 2 to 3 hours would be more to my liking and on occasion I do get that amount of time. Some days I work on piano solo material but most of the time is devoted to the arranger(s).

I am at one of my three keyboards at least seven hours a day when I am not playing out. I am always looking to improve something. It is either organizing material for a show, learning new songs, improving on registrations, or learning something new about the keyboards.

Bernie have to say I’m envious of you with that amount of time. I could spend that amount of time every day because it’s what I love doing. Unfortunately, I have a wife who thinks just because I know how to play already I don’t need to improve or work on the instrument. Her thought is I’m stealing hours from our retirement when I play too much. We’ve had some debates about that topic in the past. I don’t think non-musicians or those who do not have a time consuming hobby would understand it’s a labor of love. I guess it comes down to balance.

#448691 - 03/15/18 06:47 AM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Another thing I Like to do is seek out acts with keyboard players and watch, & absorb KB playing & singing technics of those better then me. I have learned thru the years so many kool things doing this listening, & asking questions also. No one is above learning more.

keys

#448693 - 03/15/18 07:09 AM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Stephenm52

rotfl

On our drives to and from Florida there's a billboard for a husband and wife owned motel. The billboard reads something like " The manager is John, The Boss is Helen."

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/15/18 07:10 AM)

#448696 - 03/15/18 08:06 AM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have to give credit to my wife Anneliese who loves music as well as I, and never has even hinted that I spend less time with music. She is happy that it is a passion that keeps me home, except for gigs, and she is my roady and PR lady even then. I consider myself blessed. We have been married 25 years and my third marriage. I should add that I don't drink and carouse anymore, and that might be a factor. You think? lol

Edited by Bernie9 (03/15/18 08:09 AM)

#448747 - 03/15/18 01:36 PM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Just in case you need some inspiration to practice....

#448772 - 03/15/18 03:04 PM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Interview with Oscar Peterson. Oscar Peterson facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles ...
https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/literature-and-arts/music.../oscar-peterson
No doubt Oscar derived much of his sense of responsibility and dedication to his art from his father. He began practicing continuously all day long; as he told Lees, “I practiced from nine a.m. to noon, took an hour off for lunch, practiced from one to six in the afternoon, then went to dinner, and went back to the piano till his Mom ran him off to bed...He's more famous than all of us on this Forum put together and I never heard him sing a lick. Haha

#448774 - 03/15/18 03:17 PM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By brickboo
Interview with Oscar Peterson. Oscar Peterson facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles ...
https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/literature-and-arts/music.../oscar-peterson
No doubt Oscar derived much of his sense of responsibility and dedication to his art from his father. He began practicing continuously all day long; as he told Lees, “I practiced from nine a.m. to noon, took an hour off for lunch, practiced from one to six in the afternoon, then went to dinner, and went back to the piano till his Mom ran him off to bed...He's more famous than all of us on this Forum put together and I never heard him sing a lick. Haha

Sorry Boo, no 'Alt facts' allowed smile smile.

chas

#448779 - 03/15/18 03:25 PM Re: How many hours do you play each day? [Re: Bernie9]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Bernie, how do you use your sd40?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online