SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#448614 - 03/14/18 01:54 PM Re: Arrangers and Chords [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No. At least he didn't mention it. I would strongly doubt it since he isn't working full time at music.

#448628 - 03/14/18 03:36 PM Re: Arrangers and Chords [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
My Korg live or in sequence mode handles sus4, and two other chords that make jazz tunes come alive for me are b9ths and #9ths. Of course Dim, Aug, and chords like Cm7b5 and such are no problem. I can get by without 11ths, 13ths etc with sequenced tunes on an arranger.

#448629 - 03/14/18 03:45 PM Re: Arrangers and Chords [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By brickboo
My Korg live or in sequence mode handles sus4, and two other chords that make jazz tunes come alive for me are b9ths and #9ths. Of course Dim, Aug, and chords like Cm7b5 and such are no problem. I can get by without 11ths, 13ths etc with sequenced tunes on an arranger.

good to hear Boo where ya gigging these days?

#448637 - 03/14/18 04:13 PM Re: Arrangers and Chords [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I spent about two hours today trying different setttings on my BK9 for a proposed gig. Its a two hour opener with a guitar player. Opening for a band at the Bluffton Beer and Bar'Bque sunset party. I hit the track mute button on the BK9 and that shuts off all the Arranger sounds except Bass/Drums. Then expierimentsed with full keyboard Piano. Reading both hands the arranger not only followed me but came up with some intricate chord interpretations. #9s, b11ths, chord/bass, etc. So the answer is yes our Arrangers can do this stuff but we have to modify our playing from splitting the keyboard and holding simple chords with out LH.

#448657 - 03/14/18 07:33 PM Re: Arrangers and Chords [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
our Arrangers can do this stuff but we have to modify our playing from splitting the keyboard and holding simple chords with out LH.

But Bill, isn't that the way most arranger players use their arrangers? Don't know if all arrangers respond to your proposed method the way your BK9 does, but even if they all did, wouldn't you have to be a fairly accomplished pianist to pull this off? Also, wouldn't it depend on how you voiced the chords (just curious, how do you know what "intricate chord interpretations" are going on if all you hear is the bass pattern?). Also, that approach would cause you to lose all the other voices in the style (arrangement). Maybe okay if you're playing with a band but probably not acceptable to most OMB players. Might be a GREAT approach for multi-track recording, though.

chas

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online