SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#448515 - 03/13/18 01:26 PM Replacing Korg Key
ytlevine Offline

Have a key that cracked in a PA4X, are there any instructions for opening it, and replacing the key?

And found that Parts is Parts sell the keys here: https://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/korg-key-pa1xpro-and-pa2xpro
Has anyone gotten these, and know if they work and match?

Thanks!

#448524 - 03/13/18 03:17 PM Re: Replacing Korg Key [Re: ytlevine]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If the crack is visible I would try repairing the key with a few drops of Methalyne chloride. The solvent/adhesive is very thin, and it is drawn into the crack with a capillary action, therefore, just a few drops is all that is necessary to make the repair. After the glue sets up for about 48 hours, it will be just as strong, if not stronger than the key was when it was new. Take a look at: https://vimeo.com/103296536

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#448525 - 03/13/18 03:29 PM Re: Replacing Korg Key [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
If the crack is visible I would try repairing the key with a few drops of Methalyne chloride. The solvent/adhesive is very thin, and it is drawn into the crack with a capillary action, therefore, just a few drops is all that is necessary to make the repair. After the glue sets up for about 48 hours, it will be just as strong, if not stronger than the key was when it was new. Take a look at: https://vimeo.com/103296536

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

Repairman BEWARE!!!! stop I had a friend try that method and ended up with the keys stuck to each other and to the keybed also causing severe damage and had to replace the entire key carriage surprised

Id send it in for service and have a professional do the work..

Edited by Dnj (03/13/18 03:38 PM)

#448526 - 03/13/18 03:34 PM Re: Replacing Korg Key [Re: ytlevine]
ytlevine Offline

The crack is on the side/bottom of the key, so it's more a cosmetic thing (and so I can hopefully re-sell it later on), but probably may as well just replace the key, if I can find instructions for opening the board and getting the keybed out.

#448538 - 03/13/18 07:38 PM Re: Replacing Korg Key [Re: ytlevine]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, your friend, obviously, didn't know what he or she was doing and used way too much adhesive. It only takes a drop or two to seal the crack and via capillary action, the adhesive is drawn into the crack ONLY. I've used this stuff hundreds of times and never had a single problem. Some folks, though, don't seem to follow the directions well. wink Did you look at the video?

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online