SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#447827 - 03/03/18 10:17 AM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Here's the signal chain:
My mic goes direct to the Korg PA900. I have a preset for harmonies that follow each of the keys, so I was set to a third above in G major. That way it does not have to track the guitar. (it just KNOWS) I use the same footswitch as if I was playing the KB.
The guitar is a special beast. It's a Frankenstrat, built from the ground up. The body is a lightweight, basswood deal I got on eBay. The neck is a 12" radius Warmoth, all maple. (curly, or flamed, or some such thing)
The inside has 3 Fender vintage noiseless pickups, and an L.R.Baggs Piezo acoustic bridge. I can blend between the two sounds, output separately, or together.
What you heard was about 90% acoustic bridge pickup, with 10% dark neck pickup blended in. It sounds almost as good as my Taylor 714 when it's plugged it.
I love this guitar because it's LIGHT .... about 5 lbs. (compares to my Parker Flys of yesterday) ... and it sounds Soooooooo sweet.

Thanks again. I love that song, too.

#447831 - 03/03/18 10:39 AM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Trying to follow, so you only can use the harmony while you are G chord?

#447860 - 03/04/18 02:52 AM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Uncle Dave]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Here's the signal chain:
My mic goes direct to the Korg PA900. I have a preset for harmonies that follow each of the keys, so I was set to a third above in G major. That way it does not have to track the guitar. (it just KNOWS) I use the same footswitch as if I was playing the KB.
The guitar is a special beast. It's a Frankenstrat, built from the ground up. The body is a lightweight, basswood deal I got on eBay. The neck is a 12" radius Warmoth, all maple. (curly, or flamed, or some such thing)
The inside has 3 Fender vintage noiseless pickups, and an L.R.Baggs Piezo acoustic bridge. I can blend between the two sounds, output separately, or together.
What you heard was about 90% acoustic bridge pickup, with 10% dark neck pickup blended in. It sounds almost as good as my Taylor 714 when it's plugged it.
I love this guitar because it's LIGHT .... about 5 lbs. (compares to my Parker Flys of yesterday) ... and it sounds Soooooooo sweet.

Thanks again. I love that song, too.

Let me get this straight: You are in fact not in any way linking the guitar to any harmonizer contraption but are using the Vocaliser on the PA900 (at the touch of a pedal) to bring in the harmonies created by the PA900 without playing anything on the PA900 ?
That could save me the trouble and expense of hanging on to the TC Helicon Play Acoustic which I currently have on approval...
But how can the PA900 track your voice correctly if ,say, you only press a G chord to start with and then go on playing a number of other chords in that song on your guitar only, the guitar being in no way linked to the keyboard and/or vocaliser ?

regards,
John

#447874 - 03/04/18 07:55 AM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

John if you notice the KB is SET to GMajor by just pressing those eg: G,B,D, keys before you start
and Dave is ONLY using VH on a GMajor chord on/off pedal thruout this song,.......this way no need for the keyboard to track different chords..

PS keep your Play Acoustic Harmony Box cool2

Edited by Dnj (03/04/18 07:57 AM)

#447883 - 03/04/18 08:42 AM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Uncle Dave]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks Uncle Dave for this sentimental song. One of my fave Beatles song.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#447920 - 03/04/18 09:05 PM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Trying to follow, so you only can use the harmony while you are G chord?

Nope - the intelligence of the TC follows a diatonic scale and "feels" when I'm singing over the other chords in that scale. In this song, there's a MAJ 2 chord that I can't harmonize because the preset wants to play a min harmony, which is more typical. There's 3 settings, and each one handles the scale a little differently. I used this one:
I ii iii IV V vi vii

#447921 - 03/04/18 09:09 PM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
John if you notice the KB is SET to GMajor by just pressing those eg: G,B,D, keys before you start
and Dave is ONLY using VH on a GMajor chord on/off pedal thruout this song,.......this way no need for the keyboard to track different chords..

Donny - nope. That's not it. The TC follows all the typical chords changes as I address them. It's kinda freaky how accurate it is.
I don't trigger the harmonizer at all. I simply turn it on and off. The preset is created to follow a diatonic scale. I have 2 banks, one with a simple 1 up, and another with 2 up.

#447946 - 03/05/18 07:48 AM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Uncle Dave]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

thanks for the update Dave, amazing really....
Still (Donny) I will hang on to my TC Helicon Play Acoustic as well, after all it does so much more for the guitar than just adding harmonies to the vocals.

regards,
John

#447982 - 03/05/18 12:05 PM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny - nope. That's not it. The TC follows all the typical chords changes as I address them. It's kinda freaky how accurate it is.
I don't trigger the harmonizer at all. I simply turn it on and off. The preset is created to follow a diatonic scale. I have 2 banks, one with a simple 1 up, and another with 2 up.

Whoooops but it was a good guess.. wink

#447986 - 03/05/18 01:04 PM Re: Q2n video/audio [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

My Digitech Vocalist WorkstationEX does the same thing ... just press the 'button' corresponding to the key you are singing in and it just follows your voice - correctly ! ... could never quite figure out how ...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online