SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#447872 - 03/04/18 07:45 AM Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond
Dnj Offline

cool2 headphone keys

#447877 - 03/04/18 08:08 AM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I auditioned a BK9 for a couple of weeks, and it had probably the best B3 of any arranger I've seen.
Sent it back because of the things it DIDN'T have, like text display and vocal harmony.
They are hard to find now. A guy I know from the internet has one on EBay but he wants as much as a new one cost.

#447880 - 03/04/18 08:23 AM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
I auditioned a BK9 for a couple of weeks, and it had probably the best B3 of any arranger I've seen.
Sent it back because of the things it DIDN'T have, like text display and vocal harmony.
They are hard to find now. A guy I know from the internet has one on EBay but he wants as much as a new one cost.

Don dont you use a laptop for lyrics when needed?

#447884 - 03/04/18 08:51 AM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have an extremely large collections of lyrics/chords on the laptop, but most of them are also in the keyboard. One touch of the screen in Songbook and everything is instantly loaded, included lyrics. Most of the songs I do nearly every night are from memory of course, but I do love the ability to have everything independent of the laptop.

#447885 - 03/04/18 08:59 AM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Nothing beats a laptop on stage imo

#447886 - 03/04/18 09:40 AM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: Dnj]
Duane O Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, California, USA
Really enjoyed the video. Great sound and excellent view of what you're doing on the keys.

Duane O'D

#447918 - 03/04/18 05:39 PM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Nice demos. I've been spending some time this week setting up organ presets,for a band project I may be. Involved in . Sometimes tricky saving certain parameters,but it does sound good --- in stereo !
I do wish it had a bit more than reverb and EQ in the mic settings and I would really like to link my IPad Unrealbook to the performances but I can't get it right. Still happy with it for all the other things it can do so well.

#447973 - 03/05/18 11:42 AM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: Dnj]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
The first song is usually called Things Ain't What They Used To Be, and also Time's A Wastin' A nice, catchy Ellington song.

For ballroom dances I often used to open with this as my theme song using a big band sound.

Attachments
ThingsAintWhatTheyUsedToBe.pdf (152 downloads)

Edited by Scott Langholff (03/05/18 11:43 AM)

#448105 - 03/07/18 01:11 PM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Second video is a classic and I have been lucky enough to spend some time with the late Jimmy Smith over the years. 16', 5 1/3' and 8' is the easiest drawbar combination to nail and Roland did an ok'ish job keeping in mind the Hammond sound is just one of many sounds. The old VK series were not bad with the bottom three or four drawbars either....just keep away from anything above.

I have to say though....The sound of the first video is just awfull! the overdrive fizzes over the top of the track making me want to clear my throat....and the awful stereo shift from left to right of the Leslie sim is chronic and you cant listen to it through headphones without getting nauseous.

I am overly critical of the Hammond sound though having spent much of my life in and around them.

Sound aside...nice playing from the Roland demo guy whoever he is.

#448114 - 03/07/18 02:43 PM Re: Roland BK9 Hammond Jazz & Blues..Great Hammond [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
First time I've really listened to the organ (well Hammond) sound on this keyboard. Sounds really good for an arranger keyboard, would sound even better with an expression pedal for better dynamics. I have a BK7m which I use as a (great) drum machine easily controlled with my FC-7 velcroed to the top of my PK7-A. Because I use it in conjunction with my KeyB Organ, I've never actually listened to the organ voices in the BK7m. Are they the same (as BK9)? Of course, even if they were, it would be hard to control the organ patches without a dedicated and fairly complex controller. Anyhoo, probably as good an organ as you're gonna get out of an arranger although I haven't heard any Genos B3 patches demoed in a jazz organ style and using drawbar 'tricks' and Leslie sim on/off effects, etc. I'm sure there are some out there, just as I'm sure Donny will find them smile.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online