SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#44774 - 03/21/02 07:12 PM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
ALL ANXIOUS TECHIES: Guessing is so much fun, but only time will tell. As a photographer I have studied this picture with a six power glass, and observed the following: The image is soft and rather small for detail. Underexposure is apparant
on the right end, and overexposure on the left end. Because the shot was taken from above and on a slight angle, the resulting image is distorted. Note the left end is much wider than the right end, and the Keys shorten in length from left to right. Detail is lost from front to back. Now, I am not faulting the photographer, because I understand the taking conditions of "fast draw" unauthorized quick shots, does not lend itself to following the established proceedures for perfect pictures, but I do suggest that maybe we are drawing our conclusions from a weak position, and that could be misleading for us. We all agree this is a very radical design for Keyboards, and I doubt that Panasonic has laid its reputation on the line in a "I hope it works, casual manner." Do we really think this KN-7000 was presented to the world without undergoing the pain and agony of a "think tank" full of R & D geru's, plus
market research experts, design engineers, etc & etc? Surely features such as: cable connections, material, color, button and switch location, durability of all parts, etc & etc, have been discussed over and over for months and years. Panasonic (Technics) has demonstrated a steady, successful developement of Keyboards over a long period of time and earned a reputation for excellance in their multi faceted field of many different products. And I find it hard to believe they will stub their toe with this bold and mysterous trend-setting board. IF THEY DO---BYE BYE TECHNICS. Do I detect that the "folding panel" is lowered slightly into bowels of the board. Say maybe 3" of an 8" panel, resulting in the top edge of this feature, being lower, than we concluded with our first look. Maybe not, but reason tells me that all music will be very and fully visiable when in place on the rack provided. Well guys and gals, chew me up, dream on, have fun and whatever board sets under your talented fingers, just play---play---play. ARJ

#44775 - 03/21/02 08:00 PM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Arthur R. Jacobs:
Do we really think this KN-7000 was presented to the world without undergoing the pain and agony of a "think tank" full of R & D geru's, plus
market research experts, design engineers, etc & etc?

Hi Art,
I noticed you didn't mention the 'end user': US the MUSICIANS .

Seriously though, sometimes products, though tested and analyized to death by R&D and design experts alike, somehow leave out the end user in the mix. A product may technically be the latest and have the coolest design, but then lack the down in the trenches functionality required by the end user. I'm first to commend Technics for their long reputation of producing great keyboards. I just hope they consulted with REAL musicians when designing the KN7000.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was 'just that bad picture ' that raised my concerns about its design function-ability.

Scott
http://scottyee.com

#44776 - 03/22/02 11:25 AM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Magic Fingers Scott: As usual your point, is well taken and fully agreed with. But think not that "real musicians" were absent from my thoughts, when I posted those words. I'm not sure what an "unreal musician" is but if the users are left out of the mix---DISASTER LOOMS FOR ANY NEW PRODUCT. I'm sure when you or any of us accept any important gig, are only thoughts up to performance time is the AUDIENCE OR THE CUSTOMERS. Will they like my product, will they understand my product, is my style and song seletction the very best for the purpose, and most important will they be so satisfied they will insist on what I am selling them, over and over again. So it should be with Technics, Yamaha, and all the rest of the manufactures. Of course the best laid plans ever concieved for any product is subject, to miscalculation and rejection by those we are trying to convince. Even when everything has been considered, there is still a need for a little luck and maybe a prayer here and there. So my nice forum friends, as we look forward to this fall with anticipation, let us hope for the best, and be prepared for the worst. Cheers, and strike a few "notes" everyday. ARJ

#44777 - 03/22/02 12:05 PM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
To me, keyboard styling, general layout, and overall good looks are major factors in decision-making. Maybe not as important as sound voices and rhythm styles within the board, but close to it. After all, if one has to look at it hours on end, it should remain appealing over time. I hope the designers of the 7000 have done their homework on this issue. By the way, if "end users" are part of the mix of those planning a new product, who on this forum (or anywhere else) has participated in such activity, or been consulted in reviewing a new prototype? Everyone here seems to be in the dark. I suppose anyone like that would be sworn to secrecy anyway.

#44778 - 03/22/02 06:51 PM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

J. Larry--Well said indeed. It has occured to me however, that in as much as Technics has always had the reputation for having the best over all styles available, they must of necessity interacted with REAL MUSICIANS. Some of their styles indicate super musicans were employed. Of course these players were not using keyboards to sample the styles, but serious interchange of ideas and their incorporation into the final product must have been discussed over and over. Perhaps I'm wrong in my assumption, and haveing no direct knowledge of how it is done, leaves me skateing on thin ice. If they would just read this forum, they would understand what the end users (real real musicians) want and need, and then capture the whole market, by trying to please, and satisfy them. OH SURE
ARJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online