SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#446692 - 02/16/18 08:10 PM Why are folks so defensive about.....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
....playing an arranger keyboard....especially on a paying gig? I didn't want to drag Bernie's post 'southward' so I started a new thread. Posts constantly pop up by people aggressively defending using an arranger on stage and/or playing over midi files. There is always a great emphasis on the extent to which they will go to make sure the audience knows that they're 'playing' and not just doing a karaoke act. The question is, WHY? The only thing I can think of is that somehow, way down deep in the subconscious, they are concerned about maybe not being respected as legitimate musicians. The reality is, WHO CARES? Usually only the musician themselves. What is important is the skill you bring to the performance, instrument be damned. Nobody gives a crap what Marco Parisi is playing; they're too busy watching him play.

Here's the thing; there's no stigma attached to the guys that can play, just the guys that suck. WHAT they're playing is an afterthought (in both cases). My own feeling is that if you're using an arranger kb on a professional level, you should be able to play at least one regular instrument (piano, organ, guitar, sax....doesn't matter). I'd give a pass to someone who was an exceptionally strong vocalist. But then, why fake it with a keyboard when you'd probably sound much better with backing tracks (midi or audio). Does having the keyboard make it easier to book gigs? Is it all about image. Of the videos I've seen of Nursing Home gigs, with all due respect, most would sound pretty much the same whether it was done with a PA80 or a PA4x, or a PSR3000 or a Genos. When those strings and horns and drums all start playing simultaneously, and the audience thinks it's all coming from you, you aren't playing in a Nursing home, you're playing in a Mental Retardation facility.

I'm not making any judgements here or even trying to make a point, but $5K is a lot of money to pay for something that has pretty much the same functionality (GIG WISE) as a good MP3/MIDI player. Just musing.

chas

#446696 - 02/17/18 12:23 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I guess some artists are more comfortable singing while playing, and an arranger is more suitable for certain types of music.
Sometimes it's easier to do a thing when you have a proper distraction.

Edited by Kabinopus (02/17/18 12:25 AM)

#446697 - 02/17/18 12:59 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

One of the most succesfull arranger players in my area, was a great singer and a top knotch entertainer. But just not a keyboard player. However, he used midi midifiles and mimmicked playing the keys. Don't know if he is still active tough. Despite not knowing how to play, he turned every party into a huge success, isn't that more important then how good one plays an instrument? the end result and the crowds being happy?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#446698 - 02/17/18 01:12 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Chas

Thank you for the deference to my thread, That shows class.

Your thread may have merit, and I guess I am trying to justify the thousands of dollars and countless hours to set myself apart from ones that have not done so. Perhaps I am the only one who cares, but then, after my audience, I still have to please myself. I am not happy with mediocrity, so I simply do the best I can on a daily basis. I will never be a headliner, but who cares. I am as happy as as a pig doing what I am doing, and that accounts for something.

#446699 - 02/17/18 01:14 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Being able to extend songs depending on audience reaction is a great reason to use an arranger keyboard versus MIDI or MP3 files that are never gonna change.

#446705 - 02/17/18 05:23 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

I am glad you said that, Nigel, as I have a tendency to go whole hog, one way or the other. I have to be sure and keep a suitable mix of old and new; styles and midi. Of coarse, you can use markers, which DNJ mentioned, but they still are of predetermined length.
Thanks

Edited by Bernie9 (02/17/18 05:31 AM)

#446707 - 02/17/18 05:41 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Online   content

Bachus
I, of coarse, agree, but one has to use his own particular talents and mine is not that of a non playing entertainer. Furthermore, my joy comes from sharing my music with people who enjoy the same. I do admire entertainers, but "To thy own self be true". However, as it pertains to midifiles, yes.

Thanks

Edited by Bernie9 (02/17/18 05:44 AM)

#446709 - 02/17/18 05:57 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: Nigel]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Nigel
Being able to extend songs depending on audience reaction is a great reason to use an arranger keyboard versus MIDI or MP3 files that are never gonna change.

True, but is that capability alone enough to justify the huge difference in equipment costs, especially since that requirement is very infrequent. Plus, the midi/mp3 backing is probably going to sound better and always be error-free. I think it's more than that and I think Bernie comes closer to the real reason people choose an arranger over other cheaper (and possibly better) forms of musical backing.

Fact! Does anyone dispute the fact that a popular DJ will command considerably more money than the average OMB arranger player. Also, DJ'ing provides more opportunities to land the 'big' gig (weddings, etc.) and his gear probably costs way less than a Genos + hi-end PA which could cost as much as $10k.

Now I'm not advocating for either, I'm just asking why it's so important to have a keyboard in front of you, especially one in which the audience knows (or suspects) that it's not you that's playing all that complex music. In fact, the better it sounds, the greater the suspicion. Bachus post is insightful; why does the guy feel a need to drag along a keyboard he doesn't/can't play and mimic playing? Is it necessary for his act? Would his audiences love him less if he left the keyboard at home? Because of the large amount of money involved, I'm just curious, is all.

chas

#446711 - 02/17/18 06:27 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: cgiles]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
If you can entertain the public, I’m not sure folks care what you use. Can you juggle? Dance? Tell jokes? As long as it’s entertainment...also juggling etc a lot cheaper than any form of musical backing. 😊

For me, I enjoy arrangers. If I didn’t play in public, I would be playing just for my own enjoyment...just so happens, when I was gigging, I could pay for my toys.

There is one thing I’ve found in favor of arrangers...they sound great at least to the folks I play for. And, folks do seem to enjoy watching me try to look like a keyboard player. 😊

Edited by guitpic1 (02/17/18 06:28 AM)

#446712 - 02/17/18 06:27 AM Re: Why are folks so defensive about..... [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Mp3 and Midi aside, audience members here a trumpet, and know I am not playing a trumpet. They hear Vibes, but no Vibes in sight. They hear a full orchestra or country combo and see only me and my arranger. It's a tool to compliment your talent and people do appreciate the command you have over your instrument.
E

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online