SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#445988 - 02/06/18 07:21 AM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

Hey Don, good to see you're in the spirit of communication! Hope you are doing well and can get back in the saddle smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#446001 - 02/06/18 08:31 AM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think there are a number of reasons people won't/don't respond to a music posting. DonM mentioned one; you've got to make it easy for them. Others are, 1. They simply don't like it, and prefer to say nothing rather than say something negative (especially if the poster is sensitive to criticism), 2. Some might view it as a "look at me" post, seeking affirmation, 3. Many may look at the song titles and decide they aren't into that type of music and won't bother to listen (check the number of views vs the number of responses), 4. Some will listen to the first few snippets of the first song and if they aren't impressed or don't like it, won't listen to the rest, and 5. some are more interested in the technology, especially the 'latest/greatest' technology, than in the music or the quality of the performances.

I don't think you should take it personally because you put a lot of time and effort into something and didn't get the response you'd hoped for; that's the risk of every poster who puts something personal out there for public scrutiny. Hey, sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. Most people here like Don's music, including me, and I don't even like Country music - but I like the unique way he presents it, especially his guitar and piano riffs which I find very 'authentic', and also the underlying humor that's present in so much of his work (and I love humor, I find it uplifting). But even Don admits that responses to music posts are fickle and unpredictable; sometimes it rains and sometimes it drizzles - FOR THE SAME PERSON. Take it with a grain of salt, Mark, and keep posting. Remember, it's an 'offering', and people can take it or leave it, it ain't personal.

Have a good day,

chas

#446008 - 02/06/18 10:02 AM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well said Chas. And thank you my friend.

#446009 - 02/06/18 10:08 AM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Very interesting to hear how things have changed since the 90's!
Were you playing LH bass or pedals? That's something I work on in practice room but not yet on the stage . It can "swing" so much more than the auto bass. Thanks for sharing!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#446010 - 02/06/18 10:12 AM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Oh yeah, I meant also to tell you Mark, that I liked a lot of the counter melodies that you threw in. Auto accompaniment can start sounding like a broken record.... Anyways, it's impressive you could do all that live!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#446093 - 02/07/18 03:37 PM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: montunoman]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Migliavacca...I've always wanted to tackle that on accordion but never did . More successful on mandolin.

#446148 - 02/08/18 07:51 AM Re: more of my demo tapes from the 1990s [Re: Mark79100]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Mark , loved all your wonderful music !!! playing to this standard .....you will always find work and lots of gigs !!!
Thank you for sharing your talent !!!
Your old mentor John Leslie would be very proud of you .
regards .....Giovanni

#447006 - 02/19/18 09:32 PM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: zuki]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By zuki
Musette sounded good........we are in a minority, ones who can play and have fun.

Zuki......I really have to thank you for your remarks. I don't kid myself......the musette piece was not half as good as I can play it when I'm doing musette every day.

So, I thank you because......I love, absolutely love, playing musette music. I can play it for myself alone and enjoy listening to it. With your prompts now, I decided I'm going to have some "musical fun" for a change. I started practicing my French musette again....ON THE PIANO this time to get my finger dexterity back. Been at it for a few weeks now and I'll post that song again when I can do it flawlessly.

Mark

#447009 - 02/19/18 09:51 PM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

Chas....that's quite a lot of poignant stuff you wrote there. And everything you said made a lot of sense. Yes, it did soften the blow for me, because I put more effort into getting songs off a 30 year old cassette than I did in actually playing the original music.

But this is a good platform here to say this. I went through all that trouble for two reasons.

1) You don't really know a person or understand comments and remarks that person makes or how to talk to them until you know all facets of their personality. A newcomer into this room will not understand a lot of the spoken word, until they know where the person is coming from...their background.

2) I wanted to exhibit some creativity in playing music and using multi-keyboards. So many demos I see on Youtube......the players or vocalists in many cases are good, But that's it......GOOD, but no flair or imagination. So much can be done nowadays with the technology and no one seems to be doing anything but......playing songs. I had a lot of creative ideas back in those times that I thought I would pass on.

Mark

#447010 - 02/19/18 09:58 PM Re: my demo tapes from the 90s [Re: montunoman]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
Were you playing LH bass or pedals? It can "swing" so much more than the auto bass.

Hi montunoman.....no, no LH bass or pedals. My left hand was identifying the chord for the arranger, and MIDI'd to a sound module for more simultaneous sounds, or (with songs that don't have a lot of chord changes, playing lead).

You're correct about left hand bass. It completely adds flavor and excitement and individualism to a song that makes it your own. If I'm correct, Uncle Dave plays all left hand bass. It ain't easy if you want to do good bass runs!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online