SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#446094 - 02/07/18 03:49 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow Dave, didn't think this thing would be so small. It's like a GoPro with a mic sitting on top. Until you learn what all the controls do, it's going to be tough on anyone with poor eyesight. Supposedly, it doesn't like overhead lighting (creates a 'rainbow' effect) but if interested in getting one, check Sweetwater; they have a hood/lens cap kit for $10 which saves you from having to get the $50 kit from Zoom. Okay, going to take it down to my 'organ room' and test it out. Then I'll see how it gets along with PowerDirector 16. BTW Dave, are you shooting at 24 fps (movie) or 30 (normal)? Thanks.

chas

#446095 - 02/07/18 03:54 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Great Chas cant wait till you post a demo with your new camera.....good luck.

#446231 - 02/09/18 07:29 AM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
BTW Dave, are you shooting at 24 fps (movie) or 30 (normal)? Thanks.

chas

Chas,
I honestly don't remember the settings! YIKES. I think I use the normal setting, and I did buy the lens hood. Found it on amazon as a single piece.

#446257 - 02/09/18 02:28 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: cgiles]
The_g-man Offline

Loc: Republic of Ireland
I picked up one this week to try it out. I had a Zoom H4N before, this is much easier to set a clear level of sound. Chas is right about the overhead lighting and the rainbow effect. The lens hood is not readily available over here, and I won't pay the ridiculous price for the full accessory kit. From a youtube hint, I will be taping a piece of card over the top of the mic to work as a makeshift lens hood. It is more important to me to get a small padded camera bag to keep it safe for transport. The H4N came with a plastic case, this needs a case more to protect the lens. The flimsy bag that comes with the Q2N left a pattern mark on the lens, I will be keeping a lens cleaner with it at all times in the new case. I will also be leaving the picture at the widest setting, it feels like the other settings are a digital zoom, to me I end up with a blockier output. But really for long term after sorting these minor issues, I feel like I will get fairly good video and sound more often than not.

#446259 - 02/09/18 02:54 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Cool. I saw the Youtube vid with the makeshift hood (it works), but then I ran across the $10 lens cap + lens hood kit on Sweetwater. If that's (Sweetwater) available to you, I recommend that. I've only shot a couple of clips to make sure it was not defective, but from that, I'd say - video C+, Audio A. Perfect for my rehearsal needs. Good luck with yours.

chas

PS: Uncle Dave seems happy with his (and he's had it for awhile).

#446261 - 02/09/18 03:08 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Hey, Chas, if you can spring for a Q8 (after all, your new name is CASH), it is truly amazing. The video is very good and direct ins are fantastic, but if elected to do, you can swap out mics. All of my videos are done on this, direct in and I don't even mess with trying to improve the video (poor lighting, etc).

Edited by zuki (02/09/18 03:11 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#446262 - 02/09/18 03:29 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: zuki]
cgiles Offline

smile smile
Originally Posted By zuki
...(after all, your new name is CASH)

Yeah but that's short for CASHED OUT smile smile. Actually, being the compulsive buyer that I am, I have about 5 working camcorders, including 1 professional model, 1 prosumer model, 2 3D models (I was going through a 3D phase), 1 '360' model (for my VR setup). I never saw a gadget I didn't like (which is why I have three arrangers smile ). The Q2n is 'mission oriented' (rehearsals) and I wanted something mainly with good AUDIO that was dead simple to set up; the video was only a minor consideration. Maybe if the Q8 shows up on SDOTD I'll go temporarily insane and get one. We'll see.

chas

#446264 - 02/09/18 03:37 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

with all these new videos cameras will we ever see some demos of anyone playing? after all thats why you bought them right?....just sayin..

#446265 - 02/09/18 03:48 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: cgiles]
The_g-man Offline

Loc: Republic of Ireland
I hope to have a live video recorded some time over the next week, and if I can find the time a very basic recording at home of my own keyboard. As I mentioned the rainbow effect was very prominent on the clip from yesterday, that would not be much use to anyone to share.

#446267 - 02/09/18 03:54 PM Re: Zoom Q2n [Re: The_g-man]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By The_g-man
I hope to have a live video recorded some time over the next week, and if I can find the time a very basic recording at home of my own keyboard. As I mentioned the rainbow effect was very prominent on the clip from yesterday, that would not be much use to anyone to share.

Gman that would be so kool.....

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online