SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#446679 - 02/16/18 02:11 PM Re: Playing Over Modfied Midifiles [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Good point, perception is key to me, and I use active left and right hands, almost to prove I am playing. Captain Russ, I wouldn't have expected anything less from you, but then, IMO, you are in a class inhabited by few people.

#446680 - 02/16/18 02:34 PM Re: Playing Over Modfied Midifiles [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Sometimes I use the KB using styles and sing, sometimes I don't bring the kb and sing to my backing tracks that I recorded many from scratch, some that I edited, deleted & added more tracks to to get the arrangement I WANT to sing with,......I can't count the times when I was performing with out my arranger kb that someone would come up to me and say Wow where did you get that arrangement of that song?, etc, etc, and where could I buy it? I just smile & say thanx for the compliment but you can't buy these they are custom recorded tracks by me using my arranger KB which always is enjoyed by many,.... there's much pride in that.
There are many ways to entertain people, don't pigeon hole yourself to just one way of doing it, versatility is the key to success. Mix it Up !

#446685 - 02/16/18 03:32 PM Re: Playing Over Modfied Midifiles [Re: Bernie9]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bernie, us old B-3'ers need to stick together, we've carried the weight...paid the dues.

I'd be honored to play with you anytime!

Be well,

R.

#446688 - 02/16/18 06:39 PM Re: Playing Over Modfied Midifiles [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The first one-man-band I saw had bass pedals, electric drums, and a synth on top of a grand piano. He was fantastic, everybody loved him.

1-What we are dealing with today is it possible to play the song with all the sounds and lines that identify the song with my keyboard. If not use whatever you need to sound good.

2-Everything else is based on personal need and desire. I want to be me because I like being me --- I like playing music. When I was playing out I used midi files or whatever when the extras were needed to establish the song. I did not play over any of the line dance songs; I played the original songs.

The OMB who was the most popular joined the dancers with his wireless mic and joined in the fun. Most of the people did not know he was not playing the sax, guitar or keyboard; he just fingered them. If it came to that I would stay home.

Bernie I have heard you play, you’re good so do whatever pleases you. The next day you can change and do whatever comes to mind.
John C.

#446700 - 02/17/18 01:41 AM Re: Playing Over Modfied Midifiles [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Aw Jeez John, thanks.

Donny, I always think of you when thinking of bucking the norm. You have been a good entertainer for many years, and even though I am more of a musician than entertainer, I will try and not be so demanding of myself and loosen up.

Thanks all.

#446701 - 02/17/18 02:14 AM Re: Playing Over Modfied Midifiles [Re: Bernie9]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
In my drums / keys / vocals duo we've been using homebrew / commercial midi files, and before that stuff I created on my Ensoniqs, since the late 80's. The first song I ever did was the "Pet Shop Boys" version of "Always on my Mind*, after all they are using the technology so why can't I?

All the files we use are remixed / adjusted to leave space for us to play. We have never tried to suggest that we are playing everything but equally we firmly believe we are adding to the sound and not just doing glorified karaoke.

The game changers were a number of party nights were we were doing alternating 30 minute spots with a very good DJ. We would start playing as he faded out, and we thought we were doing pretty good versions of the tunes and yet as soon as the sound changed we were faced with an empty dance floor. So we started to use backing tracks more and found that the fuller sound held the crowd on the floor. The next big changer was the PSR3000, with the on board smart media and the 'next song' ability we could chain these together without waiting for the floppy disc to catch up. No gaps, no chat, and no chance for the floor to clear whilst nothing happens.

Doing this does not detract from the fact that we are still picking songs as we go to best suit the mood of the crowd. To us this is one of the crucial skills of good entertainers (and indeed DJs) that separates the good from the so-so.

#446704 - 02/17/18 05:18 AM Re: Playing Over Modfied Midifiles [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Good points John. Thanks for sharing that.

Bernie

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online