SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#446552 - 02/14/18 11:16 PM Smooth Sound Transition - Patch Remain
Torch Offline

Somebody mentioned that the Yamaha Genos doesn't seem to have smooth sound transition. I thought I would start a new thread on this topic.

What arranger keyboard have that feature?

Korg calls this feature smooth sound transition. Just about all the old Roland modules and keyboards had that feature and they called it patch remain. The Korg Kronos has it. The Yamaha XS Rack and Roland Integra-7 do not, but the Roland FA-08, keyboard version of the Integra-7 does. I don't know why manufacturers are doing away with this useful feature for live performance.

Well, I get patch remain using vArranger and the Ketron SD4, but I am going all software. Varranger offers this feature with its built in sounds or with user soundfonts. VArrnanger with HQ sf2 and VST instruments for solo voices can sound outstanding. VArranger in a touchscreen Windows machine gives me an IOS-like experience while much more powerful and versatile.

I imagine the SD40 by Ketron has that feature, but I have decided not to get it as I am going all software.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#446553 - 02/15/18 01:48 AM Re: Smooth Sound Transition - Patch Remain [Re: Torch]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If I understand what you are describing, as the old sound not getting chopped off when a new sound is selected and played, then this has been available on digital instruments since the early 80s, (Can’t be done with analogue instruments unfortunately unless using digital emulation) so it’s more a case of why over 30 years later there are still digital instruments being made that don’t have this feature. (Or at least make it switchable)

Bill

#446554 - 02/15/18 02:00 AM Re: Smooth Sound Transition - Patch Remain [Re: Torch]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Are we talking about changing a voice which evokes changing DSP effect which results in an abrupt change of the sound of the previous voice?
If that's the case, on PSR's it's usually fixable with canceling automatic voice set. I'd say, besides electric guitars there's no urgent need in DSP's at all.

#446555 - 02/15/18 03:23 AM Re: Smooth Sound Transition - Patch Remain [Re: Torch]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
You can change sounds and sounds set in Registrations on Technics Keyboards smoothly (press a button and the sound doesn't change until you release a note and press one again) without getting that horrible glitch which Genos and Tyros keyboards give you. It makes a gig so much easier.
It's time Yamaha and any other makers who allow this, brought themselves into the 21st century.
We obviously don't shout loud enough.
Tony

#446561 - 02/15/18 07:08 AM Re: Smooth Sound Transition - Patch Remain [Re: Torch]
Dnj Offline

I think hes referring to when your playing a sound and you switch to another WITHOUT lifting your hands off the keys do you hear a smooth transition OR an abrupt transition to the next sound?

#446569 - 02/15/18 08:08 AM Re: Smooth Sound Transition - Patch Remain [Re: Torch]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I don't know about you guys, but when I'm changing right hand sounds or registrations, I have to lift my right hand off the keys in order to select the sound or registration - not a problem.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#446572 - 02/15/18 08:38 AM Re: Smooth Sound Transition - Patch Remain [Re: Torch]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
On PA4X you can hold a note or two, then switch sounds, and play the new sounds on more keys and the old sounds also remain until you lift your fingers. Very smooth.

#446597 - 02/15/18 03:21 PM Re: Smooth Sound Transition - Patch Remain [Re: abacus]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
If I understand what you are describing, as the old sound not getting chopped off when a new sound is selected and played, then this has been available on digital instruments since the early 80s, (Can’t be done with analogue instruments unfortunately unless using digital emulation) so it’s more a case of why over 30 years later there are still digital instruments being made that don’t have this feature. (Or at least make it switchable)

Bill
Yes, we are talking about the same feature, and I agree with you, as I had mentioned in my original thread, that I don't understand why manufacturers are killing this feature; maybe not as crucial for arranger keyboards with auto-accompaniment playing, but I will say it is a very useful feature for live performance.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online