SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#446546 - 02/14/18 08:00 PM All the Pop Styles of the Genos
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

It's a long video, showcasing all of Genos's Pop Styles. The poster promises to demo all the styles onboard, category by category, ex; Rock, Balad, Latin, ecc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS3fJ6m08Eg

#446574 - 02/15/18 08:45 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Oh Boy I cant wait........nice find!

#446575 - 02/15/18 08:59 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
EQ of recording is to low , setting of Genos is standard to low

Imp smirk

#446578 - 02/15/18 09:48 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Impuls]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Impuls
EQ of recording is to low , setting of Genos is standard to low

Imp smirk

It's probably the factory stock flat sound OOTB....EQ can always be adjusted to the players likeness after they get it home and make it their own...

#446583 - 02/15/18 01:28 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By Dnj

Thanks, Donny, but what did you just say; "Oh boy I can't wait"?!!

Are you planning to get it? I certainly hope so! smile

#446584 - 02/15/18 01:41 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I saw that too, Mike. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#446586 - 02/15/18 01:47 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mikem
Originally Posted By Dnj

Thanks, Donny, but what did you just say; "Oh boy I can't wait"?!!

Are you planning to get it? I certainly hope so! smile

Mikem, I was simply referring to the next demos of styles cool2 ..........I have thought long & hard about getting a Genos,.....
I was on the fence when it was released and now months later I am no closer to buying one,...money not the problem, the fact that Yamaha didn't release a baby Genos MOTL unit disappointed many people not the problem, 76 keys not the problem, I still hear too much "Yamahaish" "Tyrosish" when listening maybe that's it who knows?.
I don't know what it is that doesn't excite me about it right now, but, I hope everyone that has one is enjoying it to the fullest.
All I need is a good sounding arranger to back up my singing primarily and the Roland EA7 does that Very well. Mikem with all the demos you post I would think you would have a Genos by now?....anyway enjoy what you play but for me I'm sitting back and enjoying playing with the rig I have now..
take care

Edited by Dnj (02/15/18 01:53 PM)

#446587 - 02/15/18 01:48 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I saw that too, Mike. smile

Guess we all did. wink

♫♪♫♪♫♫ Go,go, go Donny go go go ... ♫♪♫♪♫♫
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#446622 - 02/16/18 02:17 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By Mikem

It's a long video, showcasing all of Genos's Pop Styles. The poster promises to demo all the styles onboard, category by category, ex; Rock, Balad, Latin, ecc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS3fJ6m08Eg

Genos really nailed it in the styles category..very live sounding.

Edited by guitpic1 (02/16/18 02:18 AM)

#446646 - 02/16/18 07:33 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
This video made me feel like I have Genos at home and to tell the truth it's not a nice feeling. I think reading a lot of excitement about how great Genos is messes with brains more than the product itself. It is just rather close to PSR, let's say, S770, but costs 4 times more... Which is not that close...

#446650 - 02/16/18 08:33 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Kabinopus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
This video made me feel like I have Genos at home and to tell the truth it's not a nice feeling. I think reading a lot of excitement about how great Genos is messes with brains more than the product itself. It is just rather close to PSR, let's say, S770, but costs 4 times more... Which is not that close...

However good it might be..The price has to be the number #1 factor why people haven't embraced Genos as much as expected,.....followed by the closeness to previous Yamaha TOTL units eg: T4,5, everything else follows suit,....imo.....who knows in the future a "Price Drop" might be in order to boost sales? Just like iPhones you think your buying the latest & greatest and not long after the next version appears and your stuck with what you thought was amazing.....this is the way electronics works in the world of marketing always make them yearn for more... cool2

Edited by Dnj (02/16/18 09:26 AM)

#446652 - 02/16/18 08:55 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Kabinopus]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA

I am amazed how people make an expert judgment from a YouTube video listening over computer speakers.
I have the Genos and the S970 at home.
Believe me, they don't sound anything alike through my Bose speakers.
They are not in the same league. .... wink
Eric

#446653 - 02/16/18 09:08 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Kabinopus]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
This video made me feel like I have Genos at home and to tell the truth it's not a nice feeling.....It is just rather close to PSR, let's say, S770, but costs 4 times more.........

confused shocked crazy

If you had the real thing under your fingers at live conditions, I'm not sure you would agree with your own statement.
It's a big difference between look and listen to videos and handle the real thing, regardless of models and brands.
The high price level is in fact a good remark.

That said, a good player like you would sure make any or whatever arranger or piano sound great! smile
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#446668 - 02/16/18 11:15 AM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Well, to put it simple, YouTube losses some data but not that drastically and I’m using the same earphones to watch the video as I use with my PSR-S950. I don’t really want to argue, but it’s not really about people and their preferences, it’s about an offer which Yamaha makes and trying to reveal what’s real and what’s misleading.

Let’s just say that PSR-S950 was promoted as a keyboard which would grow with its owner because of expansion packs. How long did it last? Till the next PSR. No more packs for S950.
Just because we buy products of some brands does not make us their partners, so I’d rather stay critical.

By the way, one Russian music producer when he auditions artists, always watches them on the screen, avoiding being with them in the same room. He says that he doesn't want them to affect his judgement with their personalities. So can we consider us being more objective when dealing with a keyboard ourselves than when listening to it on YouTube? Do we judge the sound more carefully when we play than when we listen others play?

One of my friends "liked" one of my videos on a social network. It was with PSR-3000, and I had by that time videos with S950. I told her later "You liked the wrong one!". I was emotionally influenced by the upgrade.

The thing is that just couple of days ago I was thinking what a huge leap Yamaha did with Genos. Prosaically, it was mostly based on how excited other people were about it.

#446673 - 02/16/18 12:52 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Eric, B]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By Eric, B

I am amazed how people make an expert judgment from a YouTube video listening over computer speakers.
Eric

Very true. I have S970 and Genos...very different. Get up close...then decide. There will always be a lot of non-owning/non-using experts out there. Better to talk to someone with first hand experience.

#446682 - 02/16/18 03:12 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Kabinopus]
Eric, B Offline

Well, to put it simple, YouTube losses some data but not that drastically and I’m using the same earphones to watch the video as I use with my PSR-S950. I don’t really want to argue, but it’s not really about people and their preferences, it’s about an offer which Yamaha makes and trying to reveal what’s real and what’s misleading.

Let’s just say that PSR-S950 was promoted as a keyboard which would grow with its owner because of expansion packs. How long did it last? Till the next PSR. No more packs for S950.
Just because we buy products of some brands does not make us their partners, so I’d rather stay critical.

By the way, one Russian music producer when he auditions artists, always watches them on the screen, avoiding being with them in the same room. He says that he doesn't want them to affect his judgement with their personalities. So can we consider us being more objective when dealing with a keyboard ourselves than when listening to it on YouTube? Do we judge the sound more carefully when we play than when we listen others play?

One of my friends "liked" one of my videos on a social network. It was with PSR-3000, and I had by that time videos with S950. I told her later "You liked the wrong one!". I was emotionally influenced by the upgrade.

The thing is that just couple of days ago I was thinking what a huge leap Yamaha did with Genos. Prosaically, it was mostly based on how excited other people were about it.

You are absolutely correct.
If I would listen to the Genos and the 970 through my high end head phones, I would never buy a Genos. wink
However; it is a completely different ball game through a decent PA.
Snice both are Yamaha, you would expect a similar sound. However, as I said: having both here in my studio side by side and listening through a decent PA system there is a marked difference. wink
I also hear your frustration. But you are a very intelligent adult.
That being said, you don't have to buy a keyboard if you are not happy with it.
There are so many wonderful choices out there right now, for every taste and vallet.
Even the MOTL arranges are amazing today. The do a lot more than TOTL arrangers a few years ago. wink
With so many wonderful choices, there really is no reason to complain.
Just find what works for you and go for it. ... wink
Good luck.
Eric

#446683 - 02/16/18 03:26 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
So basically youtube compresses Genos sound but not the 970😀😀😀.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#446684 - 02/16/18 03:32 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: mirza]
Eric, B Offline

There are all compressed, that's why it ALL sounds the same grin

#446686 - 02/16/18 04:30 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

That is why all the others sound more live sorry..

Edited by Dnj (02/16/18 06:34 PM)

#446687 - 02/16/18 05:16 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

That is why all the others some more live sorry..

Only some more? grin

#446691 - 02/16/18 08:05 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Or, maybe by releasing on how much money was spent on rehashed plastic with only few tiny improvements with so many restrictions people have need to tell themselves that it sounds so much better. It even makes us better musicians. I mean how else to justify all the money for all that plastic?

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#446889 - 02/18/18 05:21 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Eric, B]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

Eric

I can attest to what Eric wrote I have the s970 and a Genos. At least from my experience I could never make a buying decision listening to You Tube. When Pa4x was released I listened to plenty of demos but did not buy one based on the videos................a about a year later members here including DonM were talking up the 4x when I went to Frankieve’s store and played the Pa4x I was sold. Rinse and repeat for the Genos purchase.

#446904 - 02/18/18 10:42 PM Re: All the Pop Styles of the Genos [Re: Mikem]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Fantastic demo - EXACTLY the kind I'm looking for. Looking forward to hear the rest of the styles played on the Genos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online