SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44654 - 03/30/00 10:19 AM KN5000 & Digitech Vocalizer Problem
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I am a singer/keyboardist entertainer. I specifically utilize the Digitech brand "Vocalist Workstation EX" connected to my KN5000 keyboard to produce vocal backup harmonies during "live" performance. When I play chords on the KN5000, the APC chord information is sent out (via midi) to the Vocalist Workstation to produce correct backup harmonies to my singing (lead voice).
I plug my microphone (Electro Voice N/D 757) directly into the Vocalist Workstation. The Vocalist Workstation "Audio Outs" (stereo) are then in turn channeled into the Aux audio inputs on the KN5000. This bypasses the inferior sounding "Entertainer" mic section on the KN5000 altogether.

I primarily use the Vocalist Workstation in "Chordal" harmony mode

If I play the KN5000 in a "non-tranposed" key (C), the correct chord information is sent out (via midi) to the Vocalist Workstation and the Vocalizer in turn produces correct great sounding harmonies.

If I use the transpose buttons (physical buttons) on the KN5000 to change the key to (Db) or any other key, the KN5000Ős sound output correctly changes key but the APC chord data sent out to the Vocalist Workstation is still in the original key (C). This obviously produces disasterous sounding (wrong key) disonant backup harmonies against my lead vocal.

Ok, I guess you might be all saying that I should just learn to play the song in the correct key to match my optimal vocal key for each specific song, but hey, you got to admit, itŐs a lot easier to play in C, Eb, F or Bb than Db, F# or E.

I contacted Digitech Technical support and they said that their products (including my Vocalist Workstation EX) unfortunately are not able to transpose incoming APC Chord information received from the KN5000.

I was wondering if there is any way I can get the KN5000 to send out the chord data played to match my transposed settings (set by the transpose buttons) on the KN5000 keyboard?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott,

San Francisco Bay Area (California), USA

#44655 - 03/30/00 12:59 PM Re: KN5000 & Digitech Vocalizer Problem
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
MANY Thanks to Alan Minnear of New Zealand for providing the answer (via email) to my question:

How to send APC chord data to match my transposed settings (set by the transpose buttons) on the KN5000 keyboard?

1 Press midi
2 Press input/output setting
3 Fifth line down "Transpose output off" - turn this to on.

Thanks again Alan,

- Scott

#44656 - 03/30/00 07:18 PM Re: KN5000 & Digitech Vocalizer Problem
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Gee...! And I was hoping you'd have to learn your huge repetoire all over (in all those transposed keys)!! Just kidding, Scott, of course... It would be interesting to hear how well those vocal harmonizers sound. But I suppose one must have a good voice to begin with! Enjoy the beautiful weather tomorrow!
Tom

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online