SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#446263 - 02/09/18 03:30 PM KN7000 Discs to Yamaha Styles/Rhythms
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello All,

I know some of you have converted Tech KN7 to Yamaha styles etc. but all my KN7 songs are either on Floppy Disks or SD Cards. I have tried using 'Floppy to USB' in the T5 but it cannot read it. I've also tried various Card Readers which also refuse to work, so I'm guessing I need a 'Converter' of some sort.

I'd very much appreciate help with this problem as there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the floppies, they all still perform as they should and of course, represent literally years of work.

Thanks in advance - Audrey T

#446266 - 02/09/18 03:50 PM Re: KN7000 Discs to Yamaha Styles/Rhythms [Re: Audrey Turner]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi Audrey.
Yamaha will not read Technics files unless it is midifiles (xxxxx.mid)
To load and play Technics styles at Tyros5 or other brands, it has to be converted.
This conversons are often done by use of software like EMC Styleworks.
However, some keyboads, such as Korg (and even some Technics keyboards) have this convert feature as addon disks or onboard feature.
Convert songs from KN sequenser is far more complicated than convert styles, but songconversion I have never tried.
If recorded and saved as midifile, it should play on most all midicompatible units.

There are some Technics styles already converted for Yamaha at PSR Tutorial, maybe try some to see how it works out? :
http://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/keyboards/technics.html
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#446281 - 02/09/18 11:22 PM Re: KN7000 Discs to Yamaha Styles/Rhythms [Re: Audrey Turner]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Ha Ha!!! Audrey, this is what happens to all Technics deserters. LOL

But seriously, enjoy your new venture !!!

Ray dance

#446322 - 02/10/18 04:00 PM Re: KN7000 Discs to Yamaha Styles/Rhythms [Re: Audrey Turner]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Thank you GJ and Ray for your replies. I have quite a few floppies and several CDs that I've recorded which, do play on the T5 using the Audio section, it's just that I had the Technics PR900 piano for years and have around 50 Floppies which are now useless as my 20year old Sony recording system cannot cope with the recording these days - it's very slow in comparison to the PC.

I still have the KN7000 which I play regularly and it is my 'first love' so I have no intention of trading it in as in my opinion, it is still the greatest keyboard ever produced with the most realistic sound system and easier to use than today's keyboards. I am not saying today's digital keyboards are not good, some are amazing but there is almost no difference in the sound they produce, particularly with CDs, but again, most TV music seem to sound very digital these days. For me you cannot beat the analogue sound where you can hear every word being sung plus more realistic instrumental accompaniment.

However, I am aware of the PSR Tutorial website and they do indeed offer a wide range of help and information, so I'll take a look to see what's new tomorrow.

Thanks again for replying - happy playing. Audrey T

#446385 - 02/11/18 05:35 PM Re: KN7000 Discs to Yamaha Styles/Rhythms [Re: Audrey Turner]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi Audrey, I use the EMC software, as far as I am aware Klaus has not updated the style conversion software past Tyros3/4. Having tried to convert Technics to Yamaha there are many anomalies, in the drum maps alone, there are many problems it takes many tweaks so you get a fair conversion not easy. Yamaha to Technics is slightly easier I know Mike has produced a good fair number of Tyros 1/2 conversions for Technics but these take many hours of work to take out the gremlins.
regards John

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online