SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#44628 - 11/07/03 04:50 AM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi Bud,

Yes I'm sure that there have been discussions about this at other times because styles seems to be a major subject for all of us whether we want only a few good quality stles or hundreds of styles. In many way's I think it's one of the reasons we like to upgade Keyboard plus the added fun of learn all about the thing.

What I do find fasinating is that many of us seem to spend as much time "Fooling Around" with our instruments as we do actually playing them. Whether we are collecting and organizing styles and songs, sequencing a song or creating and converting styles.

As a computer programmer is it is often said that programmer should not use programs they write because we will never stop improving the program. Each time we start to use it we spend more time trying to re-do it. It seems a similar thing happens with our keyboards.

As you said, "The fun never ends!!"

Regards,
Heather

#44629 - 11/07/03 04:59 AM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Thanks BeBop,

I find I tend to do the same thing especially if I get a bunch of new styles. As I sit and listen to each one if a song comes to mind I just start trying to play it. Often I find I'm playing a song I have not thought about in years. And in some cases probably won't play again unless I set that style aside or make a note of it.

Heather

#44630 - 11/07/03 06:14 AM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Heather
I play all my songs live - I don't 'prerecord/sequence' at all unless I'm occasionally sending stuff to all you chaps/chappesses.
I use One finger or basic setting for the left hand as it allows me to concentrate on putting more feeling into the right hand or melody.
There's a bit of my stuff on Cees web site and loads of style files for download on Bill Norrie's web site :-
mysite.freeserve.com/willumspages/index.html
it's all KN7000 stuff...
Cheers
Roger M

#44631 - 11/07/03 06:55 AM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
It sounds like everyone has their own individual technique on what and how many styles works for them. Some may need only a few, while others like to have a full library.

Playing the music on the Technics is great fun and enjoyable. But if I had to create the composer style from scratch, that would be hard, time consuming, not my area of expertise, which would then take the fun out of playing. But this is me and of course would be different for others.

So I collect as many composer styles as I can. I mix, change instruments, and may add or erase something in the composer. It's intersting that when I finally have a song done and saved in Technics Format with the final composer version. I sometimes for the fun of it, put another rhythm pattern in it's place, interesting results ocurrs with the song. With a few tweaks here and there, I have a completly new style of the same song.

Anthony

#44632 - 11/07/03 08:18 AM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I share many of the same views posted above. As a style nut as well, I don't have the chops nor the time to spend countless hours creating styles. So, I go with those onboard and those shared by many of you. I do tweak effects, volume, pan, and EQ extensively to get the rhythm "pocket" sought after. This may be a rediculous notion----but, owning many LP's, CD's, and even old 45's, I often come across a tune with a recorded backing that I'd die for to get in an arranger style. Hence, if we had access to the programmers, or even knew who they were, could we not submit to them snippets of tunes illustrating the styles desired? Do they may the decision on styles that appear in new boards? Will the time ever come where we (consumers) might be able to "special order" particular styles requested, rather than taking what's offered? Just some silly notions, I suppose.

#44633 - 11/07/03 02:16 PM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Heather,
I'm definately one of those that "Fools Around" ( too much , actually). There again it's only a personal hobby for me, and I find it a great deal of fun, exploring the machine etc.

I only play to entertain myself, as I get all nervous when I try to play for other people. Same problem when I try to sequence, as soon as I hit the record button, the mind goes blank & the hands get shakey ( gee, I must spend an awful lot of time in record mode haahaa).

Interesting comment on computer programmers, that may be my problem, I'm never totally happy when I create a style, so I'm forever trying to find ways of improving it, and consequently they never get finished. I'll definetly keep that in mind.

By the way, I gather you're actually into composing music,, Have you ever tried a program called "Jammer" They have demo versions on their website. (Vers4 & Vers5. They do vary in the way they work) http://www.soundtrek.com

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shcox:

What I do find fasinating is that many of us seem to spend as much time "Fooling Around" with our instruments as we do actually playing them. Whether we are collecting and organizing styles and songs, sequencing a song or creating and converting styles.

As a computer programmer is it is often said that programmer should not use programs they write because we will never stop improving the program. Each time we start to use it we spend more time trying to re-do it. It seems a similar thing happens with our keyboards.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#44634 - 11/08/03 04:47 PM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Everyone,

I'm glad I'm not alone in 'fooling around' with the styles. I regularly play for 'singalongs' and 'dancalongs' and before going on a gig, I try to set up some sort of programme hence my new collection of MEDLEYS almost the same tunes but with variations taken from the many KN archived floppies I have the result is - the same song sounding completely different because of the varying accompaniments. Like you say great fun and at one time very time consuming, but not anymore - not now I have my little SD cards. They are so quick and easy to load.

By the way, I can put together what I think is a fairly good composition one night but when playing the same composition a day or two later, it sounds complete rubbish and so! back to 'fooling around'

Anyone else have this trouble?

Aud

#44635 - 11/08/03 07:17 PM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My 2 cents-----

1-Since I am downloading songs and styles, and playing with my SD card, I do not play as much----I have to change that. It's a different type of enjoyment, I need to put it second on my list.

2-Styles--I like the different styles----
Unless the intros or endings say something, I do not like using them. The big band plays a fantastic intro and in I come. NG--I would rather keep it all on the same level.

I have been trying to use the files in the keyboard as my first thought. I have a KN 7000, I play full chords with my left hand, and like using the pads for a lift.

One style gives me 4 variations. Add my left hand that can change the feel--on all four--on the off beat-ect--Then I add the pads to change the color again--that's a lot of change/variation for one song.

If I feel the song needs something special that the present style does not have, I will use another style.
Too much is too much--FOR ME!! I want to get into the feel of the songs, the performance.

IMHO---John C.

#44636 - 11/08/03 07:48 PM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
One thing I don't see anybody using is the song arranger. I like to change some of the instraments and the volumes in the arranger. That gives me eight variations that sound completely different and makes a completly different sounding style. Very easy to do. Even old grandpa can do it.

Grandpa Doug

#44637 - 11/09/03 12:44 PM Re: How many Styles do you really need?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Grandpa Doug,
actually sound arranger is a great feature that we possibly tend to overlook. It's amazing how different a style can sound when you change the instrumentation. I do use it occasionally.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
[B]One thing I don't see anybody using is

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online