#446082 - 02/07/18 10:25 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The never ending " different strokes for ..."

#446083 - 02/07/18 11:19 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: abacus]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
Originally Posted By Nigel
I think it is crazy that any brands separate workstations from arrangers. Supporting styles is simply an addition of a little more ROM space. There is no reason Yamaha couldn't introduce a Montage that is also an arranger. Then they could sell it to all markets. The first manufacturer that does that will win for sure.

Have to disagree there, arranger keyboards are classed as kids toys in the pro market and any manufacture that added these features would see their pro sales (Of this type of instrument) fall through the floor.
Technically it’s easy, but changing people’s perception is not.
Bill

Yamaha has given up the two distinct departments and formed a single department responsible for synthesizers and arrangers together, so maybe this will lead to future instruments that might combine more of both...

What Abacus says, is mostly true, but I‘ve seen exceptions in synth forums regarding the Tyros: quite a number of band keyboardists were missing some acoustic instruments (SA2 and the like) the Tyros had, but Motif and Montage don‘t. Soundwise, the synths should really incorporate more of the sounds of the top arrangers. Regarding styles, Abacus is totally right, they are often despised by band keyboardists.

#446084 - 02/07/18 11:31 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Crossover]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I found this interesting

https://youtu.be/UGANVTsDKH4

#446086 - 02/07/18 01:32 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
Brian3331 Offline

Loc: Letterkenny Ireland
I’ve just ordered montage 7 to go with my genos can’t wait for it to arrive 😃

#446087 - 02/07/18 01:37 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By guitpic1
I found this interesting

Nice and informative find. Tnx.
More than 3 years has gone by since this video, and PA4X and Genos made the 'crossover' even closer. smile
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#446088 - 02/07/18 01:45 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
I found this interesting

isnt he demoing casios now?

#446090 - 02/07/18 02:33 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I think Gary explained this in depth some time ago. To me the term “Workstation” is simply a keyboard which allows tracking of various sounds and voices to create music or whatever. There really isn’t much difference anymore, whether it’s an arranger or a synth workstation. They both allow the musician...at whatever level their at, to create music.

Of course...this is my humble opinion...

jingleman

Edited by jingleman (02/07/18 02:34 PM)

#446091 - 02/07/18 03:24 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
Crossover Offline

A synthesizer usually has voices which are composed of 4 to 8 single elements. A brass voice for example can be put together flexibly by combining 2 solo trumpet samples, trombone, section etc. Then, 16 of such voices with 4-8 elements each can be combined to a 16-part performance (or combination, different terminologies). In total adding up to 64-128 elements per performance at least theoretically.
You will never find this architecture in an arranger.

#446092 - 02/07/18 03:37 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By Dnj
but how many arranger players need or even ever use "in depth" synth workstation features, editing, etc, etc,..? why pay for all that if your never ever going to use those features or easily do it on your DAW programs?

I own the korg pa1x and pa4x . I am probably a good example of the kind of musician that will use both workstation and arranger features to the fullest . I just finished a track for my church choir using my arranger as a true workstation. They will use this next week because the band that was supposed to play has let them down . And I will use the same instrument in rehearsals with my gospel group to flesh out songs that we are learning for a concert in a few weeks . And finally I will use the same instrument in preparation for Easter with my works choir.

Why would I buy two separate instruments when one covers that work effortlessly ???

#446096 - 02/07/18 04:01 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

This all boils down the using of automated styles for so called "home players" vs "pro KB players" that create music from scratch, multitracking a song from the bottom up, or creating custom sounds to play,...the mere thought of using AUTOMATED STYLES or AUTOMATED ANYTHING simply put it in the amateur category for many pro KB players let's face it, same as when you mention using a SMF etc, on an arranger forum most shreek and boast "I NEVER use Midi files" bla bla bla,........just ask them or try talking about an arranger KB on a pro synth workstation forum the silence is deafening......the two camps will always remain.
.....take care

Edited by Dnj (02/07/18 04:14 PM)

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online