SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#445146 - 01/21/18 11:11 PM For Yamaha users...
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Hi guys,

I was wondering, how easy or successful is to replace the stock drum sounds in PSR line with new kits made of external samples?

I know there is this YEM software that is seems it allows it, but had only very limited examples on YouTube that I could check.

What is your experience with this?

I believe with Yammy, except for latest Genos and maybe T5, the drums could definitely be better, in the sense that snares particularly are not so... vibrant as with Korg for instance.

The other sounds seems alright to me, a matter of taste.

I am looking at a S770, as the price it's a little bit better now and I was thinking of adding some Yamaha to my sounds...

THanks.

#445234 - 01/22/18 08:53 PM Re: For Yamaha users... [Re: adimatis]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I agree on the drums issue. I’ve got a Yamaha and Korg side by side. On the Korg, the drums sound so real and natural----like you’d expect listening to a live band. Don’t know how they do it, but there’s a difference. I’d say the same for the bass voices.

#445238 - 01/22/18 10:19 PM Re: For Yamaha users... [Re: adimatis]
adimatis Offline

After searching some more, I think it is possible.

Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIp6u0xFPdg

But it is also about how the drum tracks are written. It seems Yamaha goes more conservative, more "carefully" organized, individual drums sounds being balanced for a more uniform level, which I think gives it that compressed sounds. Korg is more loose in a sense - just like the real band. Well, you know what I mean.

The change of samples will change Yamaha's overall sound quite nicely, so I think it's a good idea to try it. It seems not that many players feel like this, so not a ton of demos out there, but I like what was possible with custom samples inclusion. And the software to use for this seems to be good and easily mastered.

I am now just curious if someone here had the experience of adding custom samples to their S770.

#445253 - 01/23/18 05:37 AM Re: For Yamaha users... [Re: J. Larry]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By J. Larry
I agree on the drums issue. I’ve got a Yamaha and Korg side by side. On the Korg, the drums sound so real and natural----like you’d expect listening to a live band. Don’t know how they do it, but there’s a difference. I’d say the same for the bass voices.

compression comes to mind coffee

#445329 - 01/23/18 04:29 PM Re: For Yamaha users... [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Is there a global/master eq setting for compression on psr 950/970? I didnt keep my 950 long at all because I thought it sounded too "studio" and wanted a warmer overall sound. Didn't dig into it at all..went to Korg..

#445343 - 01/23/18 11:58 PM Re: For Yamaha users... [Re: adimatis]
adimatis Offline

Compression it is, but not from the master compressor which does exist, but rather the samples themselves are compressed as both audio and for size purposes, as files. That kind of compression.

But the studio-sound is not always a bad thing.

I don't know how all the drums kits are with PSR 770, but to my ears especially bass drum and snares, but hihats too sound dark, close, liniar, with no detail, no vibrancy to it. Hard to describe. I guess that's why there is Genos now - which sounds very different that what Yamaha was before it.

Anyway, it is what it is. Next models probably will take quite a lot from Genos, as competition is forcing them to update their sounds. Korg I mean.

And who knows, maybe Roland (one way or another) will have yet another comeback, after the BK-9 and will surprise us in a nice way.

But if at least there was the option to load-up new samples, the drum sounds could be helped. And there is, it seems, people have done it and the results, like the link I posted above, are nice. So, to answer my own question, yes it is possible. smile

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online