SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#445248 - 01/23/18 04:48 AM Re: Entertaining today with just Laptop, Mic & Pa .. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
As long as more is coming out than any human being could possibly be playing, they're always going to think that.....and they're not completely wrong. As a musician and lifelong geek, I like tinkering around with arrangers at home, but as one who gets bored easily, I'm usually back on my organ very quickly and may not touch any of my arrangers for months at a time. As far as being an audience member, I'm strictly a "what you see is what you hear" guy. Seeing the human behind every instrument is part of the entertainment package for me. But that's just me.

chas

#445255 - 01/23/18 05:46 AM Re: Entertaining today with just Laptop, Mic & Pa .. [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I get the same thing sometimes. It irks me to think my many years of work were wasted thanks to the automated music today. I suppose you can't blame people when they see it everyday with wannabe's.

Yes Bernie I agree the appreciation for the talent of the real player has certainly diminished to a point of non recognition and just getting worse every day, look around your out there in teh trenches playing ....everyone is on the phone and couldn't care one bit what the hell your doing, just by the unknowledgeable questions by your audience like "hey where do you get those tapes" "can you do this song I you must have it in there" etc, .....makes you say to yourself what the heck am I wasting my time for when no one cares but me? confused1 .....Now I just make the love of playing & singing something to allow ME to be happy FIRST and if anyone else enjoys it so be it....people are people you cant change them.

Edited by Dnj (01/23/18 05:50 AM)

#445260 - 01/23/18 06:56 AM Re: Entertaining today with just Laptop, Mic & Pa .. [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
You can do all the work you want in making your own tracks or buy them. I edit pro made midi tracks and sing/play along on tunes you just can't do on an Arranger. People don't care or even know whats going on.
First time I saw such a thing it was a guy I knew to be a good guitar player and singer. Sitting behind what looked like a piano with a curtain on the front he sang all kinds of stuff. I went to say hello and behind the curtain he had three things on a table.
A drink, an ashtray, and a CD player !!!
A long time ago a good musician friend gave up his keyboard and went out as the "Singing DJ " Jerry Tolve, look him up on YouTube. Made his own tracks on a computer and he's a good singer. Still doing it to this day in upscale restaurants in North Jersey.
Sadly it really doesn't matter and comes down to what make you preform and feel better.

#445274 - 01/23/18 09:03 AM Re: Entertaining today with just Laptop, Mic & Pa .. [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I agree. Fran NAILED it....for those of us who place musicianship in higher regard than entertaining ability.

I also see Donny's side. He is a "dyed in the wool" entertainer. He's good at it and gets a lot of personal satisfaction from doing things that way.

Is it for me? NO F*****G WAY!. But that's just me.

Different strokes, for sure. Frankly, I wish I had the ability to entertain, sometimes.

Harry Connick, Jr. is a medium level jazz player and a really good entertainer. He has thoughtfully talked about the advantages of being one-or both...even implied that it's easy to ignore your "chops" when you concentrate on both.

We each need to find our place on the continuum and do the best we can.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (01/23/18 09:05 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online