SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44497 - 12/19/06 06:13 PM Using a computer monitor with my KN7000
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have used a computer 15” monitor with the Tyros the I had, the display was larger and much clearer than the Tyros screen. My eyes, which are tired, appreciated that very much.

Has anyone tried that with the KN7000?

I thought about having my laptop computer send the picture to a flat 17’ screen monitor. Then all lyrics and notation would be very easy to read. Any impute is appreciated.

John C.

#44498 - 12/20/06 01:16 AM Re: Using a computer monitor with my KN7000
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi John,

I have used a 15" LCD monitor with my KN7000. The display is larger than the KN screen but does not fill the monitor screen and is not particularly clear. You will need a monitor or computer video card that accepts a composite video signal as this is what is output from the KN7000. The result is somewhat inferior to a Yamaha Clavinova demo I attended recently and I presume the Tyros gives similar results. I guess this is one area where the KN7000 technology has been overtaken.

Len

#44499 - 12/20/06 02:39 PM Re: Using a computer monitor with my KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Len, - would John need a video card if he used his laptop? I was under the impression laptops have built-in video cards, if that is the case, couldn't it be utilised?

This is an interesting subject because I am long-sighted and had to have glasses made especially for reading music.

Here's a tip for your John - I have an HP Printer/Fax/Photo Copier which is capable of reducing or enlarging the print, so I copy the sheet music to A4 and for me it works very well, particularly as I keep all my music in A4 ring-binders anyway, so it is quite a good alternative.

I'll be watching this post - with great interest.

Audrey

#44500 - 12/21/06 11:12 AM Re: Using a computer monitor with my KN7000
manorcourt1991 Offline

Hi Audrey,

Unfortunately the built in video cards in most laptops are not suitable for use with the video output from the KN7000 as they have no provision for a composite video input. The video signal from the KN7000 uses a single pin coaxial connector whereas the computer video requires a multi pin connector. Some computers and/or monitors are fitted with the required connector and have the capability to accept the video signal from the KN but this is not generally the case. If the computer monitor has the additional required video connector the output fron the KN can be connected directly to the monitor.
The alternative and by far the simplest solution is to connect the the video output from the KN to tha video connector of an AV input on your television making sure that your television is set to view the appropriate video input. Also make sure that the video output from the KN is set for the appropriate television system (PAL for the UK - NTSC for USA). Most recent televisons are fitted with one or more sets of AV inputs, a set of 3 coaxial connectors and the video connector is generally colour coded yellow. It is not necessary to have a connection to the other two connectors in the set. These are the audio input connectors, generally colour coded red and white.
In Europe some televisions sets are only fitted with one or more multi-pin Scart connectors for the various input and output signals. In this case it is possible to buy a suitable adapter from you local supplier.
Hope this helps.

Len

#44501 - 12/22/06 02:59 AM Re: Using a computer monitor with my KN7000

Quote;
Unfortunately the built in video cards in most laptops are not suitable for use with the video output from the KN7000 as they have no provision for a composite video input. The video signal from the KN7000 uses a single pin coaxial connector whereas the computer video requires a multi pin connector. Some computers and/or monitors are fitted with the required connector and have the capability to accept the video signal from the KN but this is not generally the case. If the computer monitor has the additional required video connector the output fron the KN can be connected directly to the monitor.
Len

Len,
I purchased a multi pin connector to go from the output of my laptop computer into the TV, which also asks for a multi pin connector.
Would you know if there is a wire that has a multi pin connector for the monitor with a single pin connector for the KN7000 output?

If so, would there be any control as to the image on the monitor?
Thank you, John C.

#44502 - 12/23/06 11:36 AM Re: Using a computer monitor with my KN7000
manorcourt1991 Offline

Hi John,

Unfortunately the short answer to both questions is no.
If your monitor has only the standard 15 pin D connector, then the signal required by the monitor is quite different to the signal out from the KN. No doubt it is possible to have an interface which will electronically convert the signal but I don't know of one that is readily available commercially and it would possibly be just as expensive as purchasing a new monitor with the required input.
Also to gain a significant improvement on the image quality on the monitor, the KN output would require some electronic reprocessing.

Len

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 12-23-2006).]

#44503 - 12/23/06 05:25 PM Re: Using a computer monitor with my KN7000

Thank you Len, John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online