SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#442946 - 12/21/17 06:21 AM So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences?
Dnj Offline

How was your playing experiences all month playing for the Holidays?.....would love to hear about all the different gigs and how your arrangers performed for you, etc,.........
also who's playing New Years Eve? what kind of events, etc,...
for the first time in many years I will be home with my family very happy about that.

#442957 - 12/21/17 08:10 AM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
It was a busy month with all the Xmas parties. Even had a day with 3 in one day, I had to stop the singer from taking a 4th.

My experience ...... Glad I had a line array system. (JBL Eon1).

Easy set up tear down, easy transporting, and most important ....
With all the party arrangements the people hiring forgot to include room for the duo. Played in some pretty tight quarters.

Merry Christmas,

Jerryghr

#442962 - 12/21/17 10:12 AM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Jerry sounds like fun...enjoy the Holidays.

#442963 - 12/21/17 10:27 AM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: Dnj]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Things in the FL panhandle are quiet and comfortable this month...had a few gigs (Xmas parties, restaurant jobs, and an "out of the ordinary" beach wedding this past Sunday)....

Everything went fine til the beach wedding rolled in... It was set for 3:15 PM....but due to "inclement weather and scary radar" the bride calls me at 12:30 and says "we want to go at 2:00"...so I rush to the beach location, get my Crate Limo amp set up on its stand, power up and check out my backing tracks and wireless mic and reverb...."good to go at 2:00"... the wedding planner comes out and sees some mist over the Gulf...he says "we will go inside and wait".

I bagged my Crate amp with a garbage bag and secured it at the bottom....so at that point my track player/tablet and amp were safely covered. For the next 2 hours we passed up patches of nice sunny sky only to be told to stay inside. We were finally told "let's go" at 3:45. I uncovered my amp, played a couple songs for the guests and the bridesmaid and groomsman started down -- you guessed it - it started raining.

I got through the processionals and immediately bagged the amp again. Rain continued lightly during the ceremony. Then sadly, about 2 minutes before it was set to end, my amp started spewing "snap, crackles, and pops". I powered it off and played the recessional a capella.

I immediately departed (was set to play an hour at the reception and thank GOODNESS I had the Bose Compact in the van)... so I got to the reception and played without incident...

Any predictions on the future health of my Crate Amp? I fired it up at the house when I got home and it still had static but not as bad as it was on the beach. I have read that they can dry out and recover. Fingers are crossed. This Crate was made in the USA - a buddy told me they now make them in China and the quality is not the same...so hoping my dear old Crate will not be a "Mort".

Happy holidays y'all!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#442969 - 12/21/17 01:01 PM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: saxxman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Played my regular 4 nights per week at the club, plus 14 parties at this club, 22 at the faculty club, 5 private homes, two for the city and 1 for the state government. Add 90 hours so far for film scores.

Will play for the club on New Year's Eve. Will add two guys and a singer from the studio staff in Louisville. Adding a bass player and drummer. No arranger that night.

Xmas day, going to a VA with a local 16 piece big band. This is the place where my father-in-law passed away at in 2011 as well as his brother several weeks ago.

I come from a long line of professional military folks, so I will always help out, if needed.

Ho, Ho, Ho, everyone!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (12/21/17 01:03 PM)

#442970 - 12/21/17 01:30 PM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
bow What was the time frame for all those gigs, Russ? surprised

#442971 - 12/21/17 01:30 PM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Randy, open the back of the amp, fire up a hair dryer and blow it dry for about 30 minutes. If the static problem is being caused by moisture, that should cure it. However, if moisture got into the main volume potentiometer you will have to have it replaced. Not hard to do, though, usually just 5 wires to solder and you're ready to go.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442972 - 12/21/17 01:33 PM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For the first time in more than 30 years, I didn't have to play a Christmas Party or NYE Party. For NYE, I am going to a old friend's house, eat fattening food, drink good booze, and shortly after midnight, I will drive the 2 miles to my home, and hit the sack with the same old gal I married 55 years ago. NAH! Not gonna get beyond that part. wink

Merry Christmas, Everyone,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442974 - 12/21/17 01:55 PM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
For the first time in more than 30 years, I didn't have to play a Christmas Party or NYE Party. For NYE, I am going to a old friend's house, eat fattening food, drink good booze, and shortly after midnight, I will drive the 2 miles to my home, and hit the sack with the same old gal I married 55 years ago. NAH! Not gonna get beyond that part. wink

Merry Christmas, Everyone,

Gary cool

Gary I feel ya brother you enjoy and have a
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!....maybe bring your Kb to his house for some singalongs?.....
Im stayin home too this year gonna enjoy the family!!

#442978 - 12/21/17 02:32 PM Re: So who's gigging this Xmas season...? experiences? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Since Thanksgiving, plus,I'm counting commitments thru New Year's day. On Saturdays and some Sundays, I have three, before my evening dinner gig. They are usually one hour (gathering time) before a company or organization Christmas party.

Luckily, a country preacher and his son are servers at the place I work most. The preacher plays an M-1 I donated, and they set all the equipment and move it between floors; often three different floors in a 5 hour period.

Actually, with studio time, my parties are off this year.

And I'm OLD NOW!

Have a happy one, all,

Russ

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online