SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#44277 - 10/15/05 04:21 AM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
CONVERT A MIDI TO A TECHNICS FILE AND ADDING A TECH STYLE

This is Jerry Silberstien idea, Mike Alessi took the idea to a higher level.
Mike Alessi is a Pro Singer, and reed player, he uses midi files for his backing. Mike has taken original midi files and turned them into excellent Technics files. His Latin files are the best I have heard. I suggested he should sell his work to supplement his music income good stuff. Mike and I will be working together on this project.

The steps below are just the first level in creating a improved midi file. There is more to learn to bring it to the higher level. In the first level we will add Technics format and a drum track from a Technics style.

BASIC STEPS LESSON I

1-Download a midi file.
2-Load the midi file GM, GM2 as NX into keyboard.
3-Save the same file as Tehnics Format.
4-Make note of the tracks being used to play the midi file.
5-Press:
Reset button ( Fill #1)
Memory position 1 BankA in panel memory while holding Set Button.
Be sure that the memory panel is set to Expanded.
6-Press:
Program Menus
Sequencer
Record & Edit
Track Assignment
7-Take three of the tracks not being used and assign:
Control
Chord
Rhythm
8-Do not forget to press OK.
9-Press exit once.
10-Press Step Record.
11-Press the track you put Control in. (Control track)
12-Press:
Start button ? you will hear it being entered.
Memory position #1 Bank A in the panel memory.
13-Back to home window.
14-Press Play button (right top) to see Sequence tracks.
15-Turn off the Drum track in the window.
16-Press the Start button ? you can now add the drum part of any of the Technics styles to the Sequence. I might add, this is the difficult part. Finding the right drum style that will complement the sequence take a bot of time.

Select a style, the drums will be added, if it sounds good save it in the panel memory 2 to 8. Do this with 5 to 6 different styles and in playback press each button in the panel to listen and compare.

I hope I got this right. (Grin)

John C.

Please, replys -- questions

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 10-15-2005).]

#44278 - 10/15/05 09:25 AM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[B]Hi John
I would be interested.
me as well John
Regards.
Joe.

#44279 - 10/15/05 02:37 PM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi John
Your fine instructions worked for me.I can see that it is a beginng and the possibilities are certainly there.Just the introduction of a Technics accompaniment to a midi is great. I can't wait for the next lesson, teacher.

Bernie

#44280 - 10/16/05 05:19 AM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Yup - done that and I can see a number of uses for it particularly if the only midi you can find for a particular song isn't very well put together and some components need changing particularly the melody line instrument...thanks John and the next stage is to similarly change other than the drums I guess...Rog

#44281 - 10/17/05 12:27 AM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.

So why are going through all these steps to make
a GM midi file a Technics file?
So we can use all the benefits of the Technecs Sequencer.

Control:
1-To add a drum style that enhances the Sequence.
2-to add Fill In 1 and 2.
3-To take a drum style and transfer to the Composer so we can edit it.
4-To add the pads where we wish.
5-To use the Panel Memory.
6-To bring the Drum Style up front. (stronger)

What is next?
We now have a Technics sequence with NX sounds, a Control track, a Rhythm and a Chord track.

1-Turn off the drum track in the play (midi) window, we will now be using one of the drum style from our keyboard.
2-Press mixer. (in window)
3-Press other parts (left corner below window).
4-Bring Drum 1 and 2 to full volume #127.
5-Save it in panel memory #1.
6-Press exit once.
7-Press start and listen to the sequence ? try different drum styles to you find what you feel is good. Save it in Panel Memory #2. Select another drum style, second best, and save that in Panel Memory #3. After you have 4 to five different styles, and have saved them, listen and chose the three best ones. You can use more than one style in a sequence it gives it flavor.
BE SURE TO MAKE NOTE OF SOME OF YOUR IMPORTANT CHANGES.
8-Transfer the #1 style to the composer:
Press Program Menus
Press Composer
Press Pattern Copy. It is a good idea to select the Rhythm/Style you want before going through the above steps so that it is waiting for you when you open the Pattern Copy page. Do not forget to select a Variation (1?4)
9-Press exit once to Composer Menu Page.
10-Select (Press)where you transferred the style you have chosen?A,B, or C, and the Variation.
Keep in mind we are only working with the drum 1 and 2 at this point.
11-You are now in Record memory window. Press OK.
12-Press Solo ? Press Drum 1?then Drum 2. There maybe drum sounds in both or drums in one and a sound to keep track of the beat, which is not recorded in the other.
13-Stop the rhythm and press Step Record.
Now this step is up to your imagination, You can step through Bass Drum, Snare drum or all of the drums and make your changes (Volumes). You can even change the set of your drums you are using. You can even change each individual drum that is playing. This can also be done with the fills, intro?s and endings.
14-Exit out to the main play page (where the sequenced tracks are displayed)
15-Play the sequence and decide which drum style and the measure you want playing. Write your selections down on paper, and remember in which panel memory has your selected drum style. You need a measure number and a panel number for each selection.
16-Press:
Program Menus
Sequencer
Record and Edit
Step record
17-Press the track you put Control in.
18-Go to the measures you have selected the drum styles in and press the related Panel Memory. You will hear a click when entered.

Don?t forget to save/backup your Sequence on a SD card or floppy each time you make a change, you do not want to lose any of your work. If you mess up you can go back to you last save/backup and load. Now play and listen.

Once you have gone through this a few times it becomes easier and there are short cuts coming. If you find errors in these procedures please post them.

I need your questions and your impute to make this a success, please post.

And there is more on this subject.
John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 10-17-2005).]

#44282 - 10/17/05 03:22 AM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you for the very precise instructions. It will take me a while to try this out,but it looks very promising.
Berniw

#44283 - 10/17/05 08:00 AM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.
katrina Offline

Loc: Colchester, UK
Thank you John. I've pitched in with my first ever contribution to the forum just to say that it took me 2 YEARS to work out how to do that,- and then 2 DAYS later you put up your very helpful post! Tee Hee ! I should have just waited ! I've found it very useful for "White Christmas". After male solo at beginning with just the midi, I then wanted the rest of the singers to pitch in with just a little bit more movement from the accompaniment (minus the snazzy drums - our audience want the sentimental approach for this one, - though like Audrey I'm not averse to using what some would consider an incongrous (not to say mad) style sometimes, just for the sheer fun of it.

#44284 - 10/20/05 11:22 AM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.
katrina Offline

Loc: Colchester, UK
When you get the time, your "more" will be most eagerly received.

Even though I had taken the plunge and tried out the Track Assign after realising that many midifiles have empty or near empty tracks, I certainly would not be able to have come up with such a detailed and clever set of instructions as Jerry, which you have taken the time to share with us. It did not occur to me to audition the styles via the Panel Memories - my choice of style was rather hit or miss guesswork. And I have not yet entered into the world of the Composer section. That's something to look forward to. So thanks very much.

#44285 - 10/20/05 12:05 PM Re: Midi files to Technics and more.

Quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
When you get the time, your "more" will be most eagerly received.

Even though I had taken the plunge and tried out the Track Assign after realising that many midifiles have empty or near empty tracks, I certainly would not be able to have come up with such a detailed and clever set of instructions as Jerry, which you have taken the time to share with us. It did not occur to me to audition the styles via the Panel Memories - my choice of style was rather hit or miss guesswork. And I have not yet entered into the world of the Composer section. That's something to look forward to. So thanks very much.

Katrina, if you doing all of the above, then this post is having sucess.

More very soon, Keep going, remember no perfection, just enjoyment and expression.

Have one good day, John C.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online