SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44255 - 10/09/06 12:44 PM CD Audio mode to Midi file
Joe Baron Offline

Loc: England
Hi Folks.
We all have music on CDs, I would like to know if the following is at all possible.

Convert the tittles on CD to midi files.
Then load into a program like Midinotation or other program and print out a lead sheet with chords.
Some of the CDs I have,have got tunes on I think would be impossible_very hard to find.
Any help would be welcome welcome by me and I think by others.
Regards.
Joe

#44256 - 10/09/06 01:52 PM Re: CD Audio mode to Midi file
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi Joe,
Sometime ago I saw a program called Amazin midi the spelling I am not too sure, but it used wav. samples to follow the CD melody and could come up with a midi file, but it could not work on drum tracks. I think it was shareware but again not too sure, hope this is of some help
john.

#44257 - 10/09/06 02:40 PM Re: CD Audio mode to Midi file
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Joe,
It's not really possible to convert an Audio source file to a MIDI unless it is a very simple melody line played on a single instrument. There are programs available which are supposed to enable you to carry out this type of conversion. Some time ago, just out of interest, I experimented with a few of these programs, but in my experience, they are basically a waste of time, money and effort.......
Just think about the complexity of the audio data produced by a recording of say a big band. Then imagine trying to isolate the sound of each instrument within the band, to the total exclusion of all the other instruments in the band, so that the sound from that single instrument can be converted to digital information, which could eventually produce a single MIDI channel. This same process would have to be running simultaneously for each instrument in the band - not really feasible....... even for a simple line-up of piano, bass and drums!
Bear in mind that a MIDI file does not contain any audio information - it is purely a set of digital instructions, which when fed to a MIDI compatible sound generation module, such as those found in most electronic musical keyboards and the sound cards of computers, will produce the actual audio sounds, related to the digital instructions.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#44258 - 10/10/06 08:08 AM Re: CD Audio mode to Midi file
Joe Baron Offline

We all have music on CDs, I would like to know if the following is at all possible.
Convert the tittles on CD to midi files.

Thank you for the information It seems it was to good to be true,but if you don't ask questions you never know.
Now I do know.Thanks John and Bill. Solid information as usual.
Kind Regards.
Joe

#44259 - 10/10/06 02:02 PM Re: CD Audio mode to Midi file
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Joe,

One of our Keyboard Club members was talking about a similar thing at our meeting last night. To be frank! I was busy doing something else and wasn't really listening but the 'gist' of it was there is some sort of free software available on the net listing approximately 6,500 popular songs and you choose which song you want and then get a printout of the music direct to your PC.

If this is what you would like to do, I can find out more about it if you wish.

Regards

Audrey

#44260 - 10/10/06 02:51 PM Re: CD Audio mode to Midi file
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I suspect that the 6500 songs are already in MIDI format

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#44261 - 10/11/06 10:44 AM Re: CD Audio mode to Midi file
Joe Baron Offline

Hi Audrey.
Yes I would be interested to know what the program is!
I think when you see hundreds of tittles it
jogs the old memory. You say to yourself, Oh
I remember that tune! and away you go.
Kind regards.
Joe.

#44262 - 10/13/06 01:57 AM Re: CD Audio mode to Midi file
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Yes Bill, they are all midi files.

Joe, I'll get on the case right away. Will keep you posted.

Regards to you both.

Audrey

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online