SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44246 - 08/17/07 08:34 PM Using separate outs on KN700
Almin Offline

Loc: Geraldine, Canterbury, New Zea...
I am trying to get the sub 1 and 2 outs to work on a midi sequence. I want to have the drums and bass run into separate channels on my mixer but I can't get this to work. I can get sub 1 and 2 outs working using a composer memory, but not with a sequence. Any help for this out there?

------------------
Alan Minnear

#44247 - 08/18/07 02:15 AM Re: Using separate outs on KN700
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Alan, I set up my keyboard just as you described in your post, worked very well at home. My experience; Half way through a job I was playing I decided to play a sequence using my KN7, Johnny B Good, using the sub outputs. Before I knew it I was staring at the keyboard, the dancers were staring at me --- the bass and drums were gone.

Lesson for me; Sequences, in areas that I am not aware of, have control of my keyboard. I am sure there is a cure but I have no need to go through that experience again, I have not used the sub outlets since, trying to keep it simple. I have added a powered sub to my two powered JBL 10s. Now no need for the sub outlets.

John C.

#44248 - 08/18/07 12:37 PM Re: Using separate outs on KN700
Almin Offline

John, when you say you got it working at home, what did you do? If the sub outs worked at home, why wouldn't they work on a gig? Yes, I have a self powered sub too along with my stand speakers, but sometimes I'd like to cut or boost the bass and drums by running them into extra channels on my mixer. Looking through the options for sub outs, the only one that seems to apply in this case is the "1 to 16" parts options. But this option applies to everything except R1 and R2 which is a bit useless. So I'm really keen to hear how you did it.

#44249 - 08/18/07 03:33 PM Re: Using separate outs on KN700
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Alan, I had it working at home and on the job. It was lost when the sequence I played changed the sub settings. The sequence told my keyboard to stop sending the sounds out the sub output. Aaaaaah1

But, having said that, I will go back over what I did (it’s been a while) and put it in writing.

One other thought, why not use a cross-over which will separate the highs and lows and send you sub the low single?

John C.

#44250 - 08/18/07 04:55 PM Re: Using separate outs on KN700
Almin Offline

John, thanks for taking the time to respond. I do all my programming at home, and like yourself (probably), spend hours balancing sounds and getting the volumes right. However, sometimes on a gig, different acoustics cause programmed sounds to change due to room response. Usually for me, it's bass and drums. So if there's a way to adjust bass and drums just for the night in that venue, then it would be great. BTW - I do use a crossover. It is built into my sub and is set at 100hz. When you say the sequencer caused the sub sound to change, what do you mean? Were you using a 16 part sequence, or a sequence based on a composer pattern? I can get the SD card to remember sub out setting for composer patterns no trouble at all, but there doesn't seem to be any provision in the settings to apply to individual parts (such as part 2 for bass or part 10 for drums) Unless you have found a way. Be pleased to hear back again from you with the answer.

#44251 - 08/23/07 06:40 AM Re: Using separate outs on KN700
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Once you found the sound output to your satisfaction, isn't there a way to save the setup in data memory?

One would think, there is a way of over riding any song you load in the sequencer.

I posted a relative question on Audry's Speaker topic http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/004438.html

SeeYa

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#44252 - 08/23/07 11:23 AM Re: Using separate outs on KN700
Almin Offline

Larry - I run the K7 into a stereo channel on my mixer. The mixer main outputs run into my 400watt sub. The sub has a built in crossover network set at 100hz. The left crossover sub out goes to a 60watt speaker on a stand and the right crossover sub out goes to a 60watt speaker on a stand on the other side. This produces a very good sound. However, I programme at home in my garage with all the speakers set up and save the setting to SD card. On a gig, room response affects the sound at times and it's usually the drums and bass that need adjustment. Bass cut on the mixer helps a little but does alter the overall sound, not just the bass and drums volume. The separate sub outs seem not to be able to be set for midi part 2 (bass) or midi part 10 (drums). Therein lies the problem.

------------------
Alan Minnear

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online