SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#442390 - 12/12/17 01:06 AM Re: to ARRANGE or not ARRANGE , THAT is the question [Re: john smies]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bachus

"i was totally misunderstood by many of the as you said typical Yamaha arranger players."

I fully agree. It hurts worse to be chastised through a misinterpretation than for something that was actually said.

#442428 - 12/13/17 07:47 AM Re: to ARRANGE or not ARRANGE , THAT is the question [Re: john smies]
maartenb Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi John,

I've found that arranging is hard, very hard. It's easy to slam some instruments/voices together and play those. However, to combine the drums, bass and rhythm guitar/keys into a whole in such a way that it really swings... boy, I find that very hard to do.

So I turned to an arranger. The styles all sound good. I can easily remove a style track or add some multipads. For a song I found a style with the correct feel, but the wrong instruments. So I changed the voices of the style and voila: a new style.

Last but not least, I can play this in real time. This makes it very quick to try some things out. It's also ideal when I play in my home with a singer or a guitarist.

And I can also use a style as a basis for a cover that I completely programmed in a DAW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo1DAt321qo

So I love arrangers!

Maarten

#442432 - 12/13/17 08:55 AM Re: to ARRANGE or not ARRANGE , THAT is the question [Re: maartenb]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
One of the reasons my piano playing friends(who gig), won’t go to an arranger as they see the arranging part as a lot of extra work. They don’t see arrangers as very flexible for live gigs.

Personally, the arranging part is my favorite.

Edited by guitpic1 (12/13/17 08:55 AM)

#442437 - 12/13/17 10:51 AM Re: to ARRANGE or not ARRANGE , THAT is the question [Re: maartenb]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By maartenb
Hi John,

I've found that arranging is hard, very hard. It's easy to slam some instruments/voices together and play those. However, to combine the drums, bass and rhythm guitar/keys into a whole in such a way that it really swings... boy, I find that very hard to do.

So I turned to an arranger. The styles all sound good. I can easily remove a style track or add some multipads. For a song I found a style with the correct feel, but the wrong instruments. So I changed the voices of the style and voila: a new style.

Last but not least, I can play this in real time. This makes it very quick to try some things out. It's also ideal when I play in my home with a singer or a guitarist.

And I can also use a style as a basis for a cover that I completely programmed in a DAW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo1DAt321qo

So I love arrangers

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

That was a most interesting video which immediately raises the question why on earth is that your only video ?
I also thank all those who have responded thus far to my somewhat drawn out reflections on arranging and arranger keyboards, it is a fascinating subject and a fascinating instrument. And yes I recall that one day, many many moons ago, a well seasoned piano player took up a seat behind my arranger keyboard ( always having looked down on "those fiddling with buttons, pressing a few keys and the keyboard would do the rest" } and found himself totally baffled.All he could do was play the piano on it..............but that he did in a class all to his own. But it is my belief that those who started out on the piano at an early age have a substantial advantage on those who never did, also in regards to mastering the complexities of an arranger keyboard.
Another tentative conclusion that can be drawn so far is that with the current cream of the crop (SD9, Genos ,PA4X) it looks like we have reached a certain limit , at least for the current older generation of fervent keyboard players.Whether the really younger generation will follow suit remains to be seen, but then again I notice a revival of guitar playing singer songwriters, busking in the streets of the major cities etc. In short there will always be plenty of good music !!!!

regards
John

#442441 - 12/13/17 11:34 AM Re: to ARRANGE or not ARRANGE , THAT is the question [Re: maartenb]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By maartenb
Hi John,

So I love arrangers!

Maarten

That was an incredible nice video...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#442448 - 12/13/17 12:51 PM Re: to ARRANGE or not ARRANGE , THAT is the question [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

bachus I would love to hear some of these great sounds you have listed in your signature programs,
gear vst, kronos etc,...a quick phone video sound demo will suffice..

#442467 - 12/13/17 09:51 PM Re: to ARRANGE or not ARRANGE , THAT is the question [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
bachus I would love to hear some of these great sounds you have listed in your signature programs,
gear vst, kronos etc,...a quick phone video sound demo will suffice..

Just browse youtube and you will find out what they sound like...
Others are probbly far more competent at demoing them then i am...

I guess this is th 999th time you asked me this question...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#442477 - 12/14/17 05:30 AM Re: to ARRANGE or not ARRANGE , THAT is the question [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
[quote=Dnj]bachus .

I guess this is th 999th time you asked me this question...

I understand if you don't want to share your work with us,.....it's not just hearing the demo it's your explanation to go along with it I was interested in a first hand opinion since you have these programs .
enjoy your music,...I will look elsewhere....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online