SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#442436 - 12/13/17 10:39 AM Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos?
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Would The Beatles or Mozart see the value of the tools the Genos brings to the songwriting process?!? Or would they spend less and get more tools from a Pa4X or SD9?

OR... is it all about the quality of the sound?!? Genos is very good!!

Yamaha calls it a workstation but is it? Did they make the Genos play nice with a DAW or a sequencer app?

I need a sequencer to build an arrangement from piano to full arrangement.

OK... both those examples would be endorsed artists but would they use it today?!?
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#442442 - 12/13/17 11:50 AM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: shueymusic]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Interesting question..... Well the Beatles did use the Mellotron, which has a form of auto-accompaniment. With so many choices of ways to make music, it would interesting to see what would they would choice to use. Maybe they'd stick to the good old grand piano. Can't go wrong with that either!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#442444 - 12/13/17 12:00 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: montunoman]
Bachus Offline

The beatles wouldn’t, they would buy a Nord stage

Mozart, would, if only it had 88 keys...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#442445 - 12/13/17 12:19 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: shueymusic]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Not to high jack your post,Jonathan, but may I ask if anybody has ever made any commercially successful album using an arranger keyboard? Major soundtracks? How about major touring acts that feature an arranger keyboard stage? I guess I ask this because I wonder if Mozart or the Beatles would even consider an arranger keyboard over all the possible methods of creating music now days.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#442446 - 12/13/17 12:40 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: montunoman]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I would suggest that Montage would be a more preferable choice as for Mozart, because he's more of a soundtrack kind of musician, as well as for Beatles, since they are a band kind of musicians. It seems possible that songwriters like Sting or Elton John may be tempted to get one, the question is whether they are still interested in having it all or got focused on an essential, yet perfected minimum.
Speaking about Russian popular artists, I can see in magazines that they have Tyros or Clavinova-version of Tyros at their houses.
I guess that the term "workstation" had more meaning in those days when computers were not so popular and portable and it was essential that the keyboard allowed you to produce the whole song inside. I remember there even was a keyboard which could burn CD's.
As I see it, Yamaha calls PSR-S670 and above as workstations to underline a class difference between S- and E- series.

#442449 - 12/13/17 01:07 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: shueymusic]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? Well, in the case of Mozart he'd also need electricity and a good PA system smile. So, would Columbus use a Boeing 747 to reach the 'New World'? Maybe, but he might be in for a rude awakening when he discovered there were no airports in which to land. The point is, the music that people like Mozart made, was influenced heavily by the instruments that were available to them. Maybe if he'd had a Genos, the best he'd have come up with was Mustang Sally and the world would have been deprived of the beautiful music he DID produce. A more interesting question might be, 'how many gigs would you score if you only had a harpsichord to work with'? We'll never know in either case.

smile

chas

#442451 - 12/13/17 01:45 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: shueymusic]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
I read somewhere that Kenny G "prefers versatility over performance"...he traded in his high performance airplane for an old De Havilland Beaver seaplane (guess it helps him to fly in and out of his lakefront mansion)...

Anyway....I'm guessing some of the songwriters would probably be elated to have an arranger in their toolkit...they may never publicly own up to it, but I'd think the benefits would certainly be there for any aspiring composer to have one around.

Edited by saxxman (12/13/17 01:47 PM)

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#442453 - 12/13/17 01:57 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: shueymusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, I agree 1,000 percent!

Randy, Jimmy Buffett did the same thing with the aircraft and currently owns a De Havilland Beaver .

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442457 - 12/13/17 03:37 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I love arranger keyboards; I’ve used them since 1976.

“Would the Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? No definitely no. Arrangers became popular when used professionally mainly because of dollars. Synths did not.

I would hire a small group before hiring a OMB; considering the price and talent was the same.

Playing with a sequence or a style limits your freedom.
John C.

#442459 - 12/13/17 04:17 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: bruno123]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Well Korg came out with the “Liverpool” version of the micro arranger. My guess is with George Martins ability for arranging...a Genos would fit right in with their production style.

#442910 - 12/20/17 02:41 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: montunoman]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
Not to high jack your post,Jonathan, but may I ask if anybody has ever made any commercially successful album using an arranger keyboard? Major soundtracks? How about major touring acts that feature an arranger keyboard stage? I guess I ask this because I wonder if Mozart or the Beatles would even consider an arranger keyboard over all the possible methods of creating music now days.

Several high profile Ketron owners I know reguarly use their Ketorn Arrangers for Television, Film Production, Soundtracks for West End shows and Music Production (when working with vocalists). Not sure about other arrangers though.

#442912 - 12/20/17 02:54 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: shueymusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
We have at least one person on this forum that uses his arranger keyboard for creating commercial sound tracks and has done so very successfully. I think Mozart or Beethoven would have gone absolutely ga-ga over having an arranger keyboard at their fingertips when they were creating music. But, that's just my opinion, which never counted around here - just ask Carol! wink

Merry Christmas,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442928 - 12/20/17 09:52 PM Re: Would The Beatles or Mozart buy a Genos? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Tonewheeldude
Originally Posted By montunoman

Several high profile Ketron owners I know reguarly use their Ketorn Arrangers for Television, Film Production, Soundtracks for West End shows and Music Production (when working with vocalists). Not sure about other arrangers though.

Hans Zimmer has or had a tyros 5 in his arsenal...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online