SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#442405 - 12/12/17 10:13 AM Tablet for reading music to add to Genos
gambler Offline

l've just bought a Genos and will soon start making up my own playlists to make everything quicker and easier.

l have a lot of sheet music in pdf, and a lot of music books where l'd like to scan my favourite tunes. l'm sure we've all been there, a book with maybe 100 tunes and there's only 10 that you play, which is a bit of a pain.

Having bought the Genos my budget's a bit limited and l don't know very much about music readers etc. l'm in the UK. l've seen this tablet - https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/archos-neon-11-6inch-android-keyboard-440895

It's the latest Android, and l'd like to add a usb pedal to turn the pages forward and backwords.

Can anyone recommend the best app to use for reading the music, and also is there another way to capture music from books other than just scanning the page, as it takes a while scanning each individual page and also not always easy trying to scan thick music books.

#442407 - 12/12/17 11:59 AM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: gambler]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Mobile Sheets Pro, it’s a great program easy to use and you can create a single pages from a book with multiple pages. They call the single page a snippet. If your music happens to contain more than one page you can specific how pages need to be extracted from the book.

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/about.html

#442408 - 12/12/17 12:35 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: gambler]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I agree

#442411 - 12/12/17 01:55 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: gambler]
Bachus Offline

Actually, with a Genos, you would want a windows 10 tablet..
Not just as a musicreader.. but also for Yem...
And a whole truckload of windows compatible 3rd party free support programs for yamaha arrangers.

On top of that a windows tablet runs cubase or another daw
And you could even expand your Genos with software vst instruments and sounds
And last but not least, V-console can also run on a windows 10 tablet..

Its an expensive choice, but you get so much more in the end.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#442413 - 12/12/17 02:12 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: Bachus]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bachus ... while that may all be true, there are two factors 'gambler' mentioned:
1) he has a limited budget, and
2) he wants it for reading lyrics/music sheets ...
So I would still recommend Musicsheetspro ...

'gambler' , take a look at this thread:
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/442276/Pro12_tablet_on_eBay#Post442276

#442416 - 12/12/17 03:37 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: gambler]
Stephenm52 Offline

Tony,

I’m on the same page as you, the key was “he has a limited budget.”

#442419 - 12/12/17 06:09 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: Stephenm52]
gambler Offline

Thanks for the suggestions guys, very much appreciated. l like the look of the Mobile sheets.

l have a Windows 10 desktop that l have YEM installed on. l also have a V console, but am waiting for the Genos update to be completed so l can use it with the Genos. The tablet with the Genos is 10" and it's never connected to the internet as l don't want to risk it ever getting a virus as it's only used for the V console.

Apart from that l'd rather have a bit bigger screen, hence the 11.6. Is there any particular Usb pedals that lshould look at?

#442422 - 12/12/17 09:45 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Bachus ... while that may all be true, there are two factors 'gambler' mentioned:
1) he has a limited budget, and
2) he wants it for reading lyrics/music sheets ...
So I would still recommend Musicsheetspro ...

'gambler' , take a look at this thread:
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/442276/Pro12_tablet_on_eBay#Post442276

1) windows 10 tablets start as low as $200, Sure, those will not be able to run VST and DAW software.. But will run Yem and most of the 3rd party Genos apps just fine.
2) You have to plan ahead. Chances are huge he will want to use it for YEM and other 3rd party apps in the future.

Musicsheets pro will run just fine using Androidplay on any Windows tablet.

And by choosing Windows as the base OS on an entry level tablet, it will be much easier if he ever wants to to upgrade to a more powerfull Windows tablet if time arises.

Windows tablets based on atom processors are just as affordable as Android tablets.

Edited by Bachus (12/12/17 09:47 PM)

#442424 - 12/13/17 01:53 AM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There are times when I forget the simplicity of what I am doing, that’s when the word KISS comes to mind.
K = keep I= it S= simple and I try not using the last S which is S- stupid.

I was about to jump into getting the best of the best keyboards because I really want to enjoy playing music –The Yamaha Genos. I am a home player with a Pa4x and a S970. Last night I was going through the Music Finder and enjoying every bit of it. It made me want to play – I was enjoying my keyboard; then I thought of the word: KISS.

I do appreciate all the help that is being giving; and they should continue because it has been helpful to many of us—but it is up to the individual to know what his desires are.

There I go again -- off the soapbox, John.
John C.

#442430 - 12/13/17 08:44 AM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: Bachus]
gambler Offline

Thanks for the suggestions Bachus. l am now undecided as to which one to go for as l've found this -

https://www.ebuyer.com/811409-linx-12x64...BCABEgIf5fD_BwE

It's more money, but l can probably stretch to that amount, but that would be my maximum as l still have to figure in buying some kind of page turner. Which one out of Android or Windows 10 would you guys recommend?

l'm more into just being able to play the keyboard an recording some stuff on the keyboard itself and then burning it onto a cd via the desktop. All this DAW and VST stuff is way over my head and means nothing to me l'm afraid.

#442433 - 12/13/17 09:03 AM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: gambler]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I was researching page turners yesterday, but all I want it to do is control page up and page down on my laptop, because I just read lyrics and/or chord changes from word processor.
Maybe a Bluetooth would be best for that, since no wires necessary. ?

#442434 - 12/13/17 09:19 AM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: gambler]
Stephenm52 Offline

I purchased but rarely use the Pageflip Bluetooth pedal for page turning, works pretty well but found that somtimes to initially connect it can be finicky.

PageFlipBluetoothPedal

#442461 - 12/13/17 06:14 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: Stephenm52]
gambler Offline

l was tempted to go the bluetooth route with the pedal, but a bit concerned if it stopped working etc, so was thinking more along the lines of the Usb

#442463 - 12/13/17 06:45 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: gambler]
gambler Offline

While searching for a pedal l found this home made remedy made from a wireless mouse.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-USB-Page-Turner/

#442464 - 12/13/17 08:23 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: gambler]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Granted, I am not reading/playing complex songs, but personally, I have not found a need for a page turner ... it seems that I can always find a split second to turn a page when necessary with one hand or the other ... a simple swipe across the screen and it is done ...

#442465 - 12/13/17 09:39 PM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

Most sheetmusic readers allow you to turn pages using midi..

You could set up your keyboard pedals to do so...

Edited by Bachus (12/13/17 09:40 PM)

#442472 - 12/14/17 12:06 AM Re: Tablet for reading music to add to Genos [Re: Bachus]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By Bachus
Most sheetmusic readers allow you to turn pages using midi..

You could set up your keyboard pedals to do so...

How would one do that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online