SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#441858 - 12/03/17 11:19 PM Why don't musicians discuss music with each other?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I've often wondered about "Why don't musicians discuss music with each other?"

Chas wrote in another thread:

"this 'Entertainer vs Musician' subject is broached quite often but hardly ever by musicians - wonder why?"

I ask (and probably asked previously) why is it that musicians don't hardly ever discuss music with other musicians. They'll discuss a new keyboard until the cows come home, but......never anything about how they're making actual music on those new keyboards.

I've been playing 50 years and can only recall once having a normal conversation with this organ player about what he was doing on his board....his jazz and rock runs, fingering, chord progressions, chord structures, song selections, etc.

I've been thinking about this lately because my new neighbor's daughter plays the violin and one day I sat down with her and we talked about everything musical.....playing our separate instruments, we watched each other's Youtube video's, talked about Classical music, how the violin is played vs the piano, ideas for playing songs, etc. That was one of the best social sit-downs I ever had.

So why do you think that is, that adult musicians don't discuss their playing with others?
------------------------------------
First man said to the second man: "For $100 I'll answer any two questions about anything. Second man replies: "Isn't $100 a bit much?" First man: "Yes, now what is your second question?"

(corny as Kellogs Corn Flakes!......but cute)

#441866 - 12/04/17 03:52 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Yes, it seems as though this is an avoided subject and a privately held secret. However, I will jump in, nonetheless.

I started with the organ many years ago and am used to playing with sound on both hands. I know, however, many in split keyboard mode, excluding manual bass, use the left hand used mainly for chord designation and button pushing.

To me, there are pros and cons. I don't simply hold a sustaining chord, but work it in many ways from leading to the next chord progression to comping brass. Obviously, the chord memory is there to allow one to lift the hand with no interruption to the style, freeing it up. If I use piano, no problem, but organ sustains, making it trickier to interrupt without being noticeable.

OOH when I use a busier accomp, I suppose I really don't need LH sound, but I remember the original brass stabs, e.g. and it adds authenticity. One thing is sure, and that is I wouldn't have to pre-plan registrations as much If I didn't strap my LH to the keyboard, but give up some sound.

#441868 - 12/04/17 04:15 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

the question should be "Why don't musicians share their music recordings & videos?"

#441874 - 12/04/17 06:21 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
the question should be "Why don't musicians share their music recordings & videos?"

Amen....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#441876 - 12/04/17 06:24 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
They do, just not here so much.

#441882 - 12/04/17 08:18 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

They do - just not on this forum.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441900 - 12/04/17 02:45 PM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
And on it goes with no one .except me. willing to discuss music-so much for that.

#441932 - 12/05/17 09:28 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Very much like Bernie I come from an organ background. My left hand is almost as important as my right. My left hand is my foundation when I am singing and soloing; my voice and solo is dependent on it. There are times when left and right hand work against each other creating and hiding the boredom of the style.

If he left is not used you must depend the style which says the same thing over and over.

I will be posting some of my older recordings. Right now I am trying to get used to listening to my senior voice.
John C.

#441933 - 12/05/17 09:43 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Your "senior voice" is just fine John.
E

#441937 - 12/05/17 01:31 PM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Actually I do talk about all sorts of musical things with my musician friends in real life. Everything from technique to who we are listening to. Here on SZ it seems the topics of interest are mostly about gear. Nothing really wrong with that....

As to why more people don't post more videos and recordings, well, maybe some are embarrassed? Also it can be kinda of frustrating when someone shares their recording or video, and they get very few comments. I know because that has happened to me. I try not to take it personally, but I feel like why even bother sharing if hardly any comments but so many view.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online