SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#442025 - 12/06/17 04:39 PM Brand New Baartmans Genos Video!
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

#442028 - 12/06/17 04:48 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sure wish I could speak German. Outstanding demonstration, though.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442029 - 12/06/17 05:19 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Yes, Gary. Peter Baartmans is my favorite Yamaha demonstrator. Not only is he a fine musician, he also comes across as a nice human being.

#442040 - 12/06/17 07:31 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
The guy is amazing. And I thought Martin Harris was king of the hill. Not so sure, now.

#442056 - 12/07/17 01:17 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Peter Baartmans has always been a great player, (Although I preferred him on Kurzweil) but the demo is just the standard Genos demo that has been used all over the world, so nothing really new, and it just becomes boring after the first few times. (If you want to hear the demonstrators at their best, try and get to the many events where they just play (Usually in a late night bar setting) as that is where the magic really occurs)

Bill

#442059 - 12/07/17 02:25 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Sure wish I could speak German. Outstanding demonstration, though.

Gary cool

So does Peter..
Its half German, half Dutch..
Its quite funny if you speak both languages.

Michel Voncken used to do much in GErman
But he no longer works for Yamaha

In the end, language doesn't really matter
Its about the music..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#442061 - 12/07/17 03:15 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Again, I have to say that Genos is the best sounding arranger from Yamaha so far. (Also look pretty good)
And yes, Peter Baartmans make it shine. smile
Noticed that the public, as usual, are well grown people.
Don't think I could see any below 60?
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#442072 - 12/07/17 05:57 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Mikem
Yes, Gary. Peter Baartmans is my favorite Yamaha demonstrator. Not only is he a fine musician, he also comes across as a nice human being.

Mike he's the real deal, very down to earth. I was fortunate enough to meet him and attend a Clavinova CVP 709 workshop in Orlando, Floirda in 2015. He and product manager Ben Harrison were there and all 5 of us enjoyed the workshop, they even bought us all coffee. He played a fantastic rendition of "It's Impossible," he started it just playing piano solo then turned on the arranger features of the CVP709.

Edited by Stephenm52 (12/07/17 05:59 AM)
Edit Reason: correct model number of CVP

#442073 - 12/07/17 06:07 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
What I love about peter baartmans is that he is not just brilliant and musical player, but also knows how to bring out each nuance of the instrument he is playing. On the keyboard which could only come about from really spending many hours studying the instrument and then replicating it and his expressions on the arranger. So many demonstrators are great musicians but really have no clue how to bring out the best from arranger keyboard.

#442074 - 12/07/17 06:17 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Honestly I personally love watching Peter play,...but is he the best demonstrator? In that respect I would say for my needs when watching a demo not so much. I would rather see all the features "thoroughly demonstrated" in more detail then just listening to a great player of which many watching or listening couldn't come close to ever playing like that and this benefits no one. Instead if you can show people who are potential buyers what the "average player" would be able to do with the instrument and make them say to themselves..."Hey that's interesting I think I can do that at home" it would make them more inclined to purchase the KB. Otherwise your just listening to a nice concert,.... why not show younger new players what can be done regarding today's music styles too to get them interested? I think Yamaha's market strategy to older folks will shoot them in the foot this time around, let's hope now......

all the best.

#442076 - 12/07/17 07:19 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Years ago I used to help my friend at his music store, usually during holiday season. I would demonstrate the early generation arrangers and organs to customers and make it a point to only use two fingers (one on each hand!).
I would first do a simple song on the keyboard, one that everybody knew. Then I would plug it into a home stereo system which we had set up, and play the same song. You could almost see the people thinking "That is so easy! I could do this! I could sound like this!" We sold a ton of PSR and PSS keyboards and Lowrey Genies that way.
Out of a perverse sense of irony I would often play "I Saw The Light" and wait for them to see the light and get their checkbooks out!
The polyphony on those first arrangers was so limited you really couldn't use that many notes at once anyway!

#481633 - 11/23/19 11:23 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

I had to watch this Genos demo again just brilliant.... headphone
I also liked the pic our SZ member Steve M
with Peter also great shot!!

#481635 - 11/23/19 11:34 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Stephenm52]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Stephenm52

Mike he's the real deal, very down to earth. I was fortunate enough to meet him and attend a Clavinova CVP 709 workshop in Orlando, Floirda in 2015. He and product manager Ben Harrison were there and all 5 of us enjoyed the workshop, they even bought us all coffee. He played a fantastic rendition of "It's Impossible," he started it just playing piano solo then turned on the arranger features of the CVP709.

Hi Steve,
now I am extremely jealous, for one you got to go to a workshop and meet Peter Baartman, secondly , did you get to play that gorgeous piano behind you?
Are they as big as an acoustic baby grand?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#481680 - 11/23/19 04:03 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
Stephenm52 Offline

Donny, That was a great experience listening to Peter and him explaining the features of the CVP 709gp. I won’t forget it and to think there were only 5 of us for this afternoon workshop. I could not stay for the evening session which was billed as a concert by Peter.

Rikki,

I did not play the CVP 709. The 709GP is about 45 inches from front to back. The smallest baby grand I know of and this goes back to the mid 70s when I worked for the Steinway/Hammond dealer was the KImball La Petite and that was 52 inches from front to back.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/745059255/k...zxoCyx4QAvD_BwE

#481685 - 11/23/19 04:25 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Stephen,
so they are a fair bit smaller than , just say the Yamaha baby grand I had, which I think was 5 foot.

Only reason I’m asking , I’d rather not start looking them up on the net. I’d just start drooling over them. I certainly wouldn’t have space for what I had, but if the digital ones are smaller, maybe half a hope.

Still, bit of a way off. I want to prove to myself I am capable of spending the time practicing and playing, before I go off on a tangent.
My little p121, was a good place to start and see how I go.

Thank you Stephen.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#481686 - 11/23/19 04:34 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
Stephenm52 Offline

Rikki,

The foot print really is quite a bit smaller than a 5 foot baby grand.

I have a CVP307 and I can’t imagine that the piano would be that much better on the CVP709. I don’t know that to be a fact just what my ears heard that day with the piano portion of the 709.

P.S. Baartman’s tells me his favorite music is classical and that’s what his car radio is tuned to.

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/23/19 04:36 PM)

#481706 - 11/23/19 07:05 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for those clips you sent. I’ll check them out later.
You’re probably right, just love that baby grand look, probably charge heaps extra for it. Haha.

Not doing too much research into it at the moment ie don’t want to get all hyped up about one, and then find I can’t be bothered putting the work into improving my piano skills. If all I want to do is play keyboard on it, I might as well just play my keyboard. At the moment I’m treating my piano and Sx as seperate instruments. Piano practice, keyboard practice. It’s more a case of , whether or not I have the discipline to try and improve my piano skills.
Time will tell. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#481707 - 11/23/19 07:17 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Stephenm52]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52

I'm very happy you were there and saw/heard Peter in person! If ever he comes to the Montreal area, I'd love to go see him.

This was certainly an experience you'll remember. smile

#481708 - 11/23/19 07:31 PM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Rikki, you could always have hubby build you a 'shell' of a baby grand and put the AKB in it ... wink

#481722 - 11/24/19 02:44 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Rikki, you could always have hubby build you a 'shell' of a baby grand and put the AKB in it ... wink

Hi Tony,
Interesting thought, hubby no, but a cabinet maker probably could. Thank you Tony.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#481731 - 11/24/19 07:11 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Mikem]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Brand New < blush 2017keys blush

Edited by Impuls (11/24/19 09:47 AM)

#481732 - 11/24/19 07:28 AM Re: Brand New Baartmans Genos Video! [Re: Impuls]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Impuls
Brand New < 2017 ???? grin

keys

It was when this thread and first post was created. 📝👍
( 06 December, 2017 16:39 )
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online