SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#441938 - 12/05/17 01:35 PM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bernie9
Yes, it seems as though this is an avoided subject and a privately held secret. However, I will jump in, nonetheless.

I started with the organ many years ago and am used to playing with sound on both hands. I know, however, many in split keyboard mode, excluding manual bass, use the left hand used mainly for chord designation and button pushing.

To me, there are pros and cons. I don't simply hold a sustaining chord, but work it in many ways from leading to the next chord progression to comping brass. Obviously, the chord memory is there to allow one to lift the hand with no interruption to the style, freeing it up. If I use piano, no problem, but organ sustains, making it trickier to interrupt without being noticeable.

OOH when I use a busier accomp, I suppose I really don't need LH sound, but I remember the original brass stabs, e.g. and it adds authenticity. One thing is sure, and that is I wouldn't have to pre-plan registrations as much If I didn't strap my LH to the keyboard, but give up some sound.

That's one thing that I really enjoy about Rico's playing is his left hand comping. It's gives the music more feel I think.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#441939 - 12/05/17 01:49 PM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you for the affirmation, Montunoman. You are a fine musician who's opinions are always valued.

#441943 - 12/05/17 02:49 PM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Bernie9]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
And on it goes with no one .except me. willing to discuss music-so much for that.

Rude people here.....I will discuss music with you....

How 'bout them Beatles?

#441961 - 12/06/17 02:08 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
WHO ?
Just joking, but I was thinking in terms of methodology rather than artists. I guess "Michelle" is about the only one I use on a regular basis. Thanks for your courtesy though.

#441963 - 12/06/17 04:46 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thank you for the affirmation, Montunoman. You are a fine musician who's opinions are always valued.

Thanks Bernie, what a nice thing to say!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#441973 - 12/06/17 07:07 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll discuss music. I found another chord last night. Had no idea there were more than three! This opens up a lot of new songs to me. smile I thought minors were little people too young to drink.
Somebody told me about something that was augmented, and it reminded me of an old girl friend. Diminished? Yes I am.

#441978 - 12/06/17 07:22 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: DonM]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By DonM
...... Had no idea there were more than three!....

Heyyyy, there are only two, minor and major.... wink
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#442095 - 12/07/17 10:50 AM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Been meaning to post a reply to this but Bernie's thoughts on LH accompaniment with and Arranger got me thinking. So i conjunction with prepping for a dinner gig this weekend I've been trying some things on my BK9 that I've neglected. And in the precess I've discovered a new way to switch sounds faster. I rarely do much button pushing when playong but have learned some new tricks in the past fe days. Stilll squeezing new stuff from the "ancient" keyboard.
Thanks for getting the wheels turning Bernie.

#442138 - 12/07/17 05:09 PM Re: Why don't musicians discuss music with each other? [Re: Mark79100]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
As far as posting performances, this can be an encouraging or discouraging crowd on a given day..I believe some post out of pride in their accomplishments; occasionally others simply have egos to feed. More still save it for their live audiences, their real target. Like it or not, it's their evaluation that can make or break you.
Personally, there is much to be learned here, but I take no comfort in competing with knowledge or skill levels of others on this forum. Its not what I'm here for.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online