SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#441871 - 12/04/17 05:14 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By keybplayer
Originally Posted By Dnj
I wonder how many owners are also experiencing this problem with GENOS? that being said what is your over all opinion/review of the Genos? and what will be your next purchase for an arranger KB if at all or?

Hi Donny. The Yamaha rep I spoke with wasn't aware of anyone else having the same issue although there are only a few people in North America who currently own the Genos. In fact I was the first person in San Diego to have one. So it's probably too early to gauge the relevance of the issue I encountered. I wanted to inform other Genos owners of the potential hazard so it doesn't happen to them. The best way to insure that is to disable the Auto Power Off feature even though the manual states that when there is activity happening on the keyboard e.g. transferring of files, playing the keyboard, playing songs, etc. the Genos should remain powered on. It is only when there is no activity going on that the Auto Power Off feature powers down the keyboard after a specified time. In theory of course. wink

As far as future plans for a new keyboard I'll probably wait and see what Yammie does with their next firmware update for the Genos to see if they address the issue. If not then I'll probably just wait for Genos 2 and hope for the best. I was hoping Guitar Center in La Mesa, CA had received a second Genos since they were expecting another one soon but they hadn't gotten it yet or else I would have purchased that one.

I would say the Genos is probably the best sounding arranger on the market currently although the Korg Pa4x and Ketron SD9 are excellent arrangers too needless to say. There were some things on the Genos I didn't care for like having to press more things on the touchscreen than I thought were necessary (in some instances) in order to arrive at the spot intended. I wish the LCD screen tilted like the Tyros line did. You can't use the REVO drums in midi songs which was disappointing. The design of the keyboard (the view from the back) is kind of ugly in my opinion. It looks like it has wings and wants to fly away. laugh But overall it has many great features and of course it sounds wonderful which is the Genos' biggest selling point in my opinion.

All the best,

Mike

Mike thanx for the reply......but let me ask you this point blank...in your opinion...Is the genos worth the price?

#441873 - 12/04/17 05:54 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
My 2 cents, even though you asked Mike........YES I tried one at Frank’s store, if you’re a Yamaha arranger fan it’s worth it.

#441918 - 12/05/17 12:27 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: Brian3331]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By Brian3331
Can you not turn power saving off I’m almost sure I did on my genos

Yes you can disable the Auto Power Off feature. In fact that's what I recommend people do when transferring large amounts of data to the Genos USER drive.

All the best,

Mike

#441920 - 12/05/17 12:48 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: Dnj]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Mike thanx for the reply......but let me ask you this point blank...in your opinion...Is the genos worth the price?

That is the sixty four thousand dollar question. The real beef I have is the price. Yamaha is charging a premium for the Genos yet enough people take the bait so they keep charging an arm and a leg. Now if people don't mind forking over big bucks for what is considered an excellent keyboard then everyone is happy including Yamaha obviously.

In my case, I thought it was time for an upgrade but looking back (hindsight is always 20/20) I still enjoy my Tyros 3 and in fact the Tyros 3 is easier to navigate in my opinion. If Yammie reduced the price to be competitive with the Korg Pa4x more people would be able to enjoy the Genos and the price would be more in line with what the Genos is actually worth in my humble opinion. So the bottom line is that everyone has to decide for themselves if the Genos is really worth it. It really would be worth it if it cost around $3,999 instead of $5,499 but that's just my own personal opinion. cool

All the best,

Mike

Edited by keybplayer (12/05/17 12:48 AM)

#441924 - 12/05/17 04:25 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By keybplayer
Originally Posted By Dnj

That is the sixty four thousand dollar question. The real beef I have is the price. Yamaha is charging a premium for the Genos yet enough people take the bait so they keep charging an arm and a leg. Now if people don't mind forking over big bucks for what is considered an excellent keyboard then everyone is happy including Yamaha obviously.

In my case, I thought it was time for an upgrade but looking back (hindsight is always 20/20) I still enjoy my Tyros 3 and in fact the Tyros 3 is easier to navigate in my opinion. If Yammie reduced the price to be competitive with the Korg Pa4x more people would be able to enjoy the Genos and the price would be more in line with what the Genos is actually worth in my humble opinion. So the bottom line is that everyone has to decide for themselves if the Genos is really worth it. It really would be worth it if it cost around $3,999 instead of $5,499 but that's just my own personal opinion. cool

All the best,

Mike

Mike thank you for your very honest opinion that I think many people want to say and are thinking at this time regarding the price for what your getting vs the competition which is just as good or better at much less cost for what your getting. Your Tyros 3 can certainly produce the goods in many many ways in the hands of a pro like yourself. Slowly the truth surfaces once the :newness" wares off the more people experience genos. Good luck to all and enjoy what you play.

#441928 - 12/05/17 07:30 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By Dnj

I sent a Genos video to my cousin who does about 25-30 gigs a month...nursing homes, parties etc. He mostly uses a Casio PX 5S. He asked me what he would gain by spending over 5 times more on the Genos than he did on the Casio?

I found that one difficult to answer. 😊

#441929 - 12/05/17 08:08 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
How about doing 35 to 50 gigs a month, larger, more attentive audiences, more side jobs that pay significantly more, because he sounds so much better. Pretty easy to answer.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online