SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#441846 - 12/03/17 01:27 PM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
Dnj Offline

Is it possible mike just wasn't "thrilled" with the genos after he got it,... its possible? and just decided to return it while he could aside from also having maybe a defective genos with the file transfer problem too to add to the disappointment?.....If someone loved the NEW unit wouldn't you exchange it for another asap, or? Good luck to Mike whatever he decides next.

#441847 - 12/03/17 02:44 PM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I thought I heard Mike say he HAD to return it or send it in for repairs?? The internal User EPROM was hosed.....Operator error can not cause this issue.....unless you would turn off the board while file transfer is occurring...then maybe. It would be nice for the OS to be able to re-initialise (format) the memory as I'm thinking it's not really bad hardware wise.

#441848 - 12/03/17 05:13 PM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I would actually be inclined to the same as what Mike has done... If I bought a brand new product that was just released and it had a major flaw where the manufacturer actually recommends returning it for repairs, Id take my money back asap and get rid of the product before something else could go wrong...

Sit on my money for a few weeks or months to see if the company responds with a rectification before making another decision.

I cant see how this is a "user error" either... im sure he did everything correctly - really how can u screw up in this situation?

#441851 - 12/03/17 07:00 PM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Certainly not to change the topic, but, only to point out that Yamaha does, indeed, have problems, occasionally, with new products----here’s my tale: Way back when, I bought a new Tyros 2, only to find out upon arrival that all of the styles played out of tune with the right hand voices-----a full step, or more. Yamaha had me return it for repairs, which they kindly made. It worked out OK, despite the hassle for a while.

#441852 - 12/03/17 09:33 PM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
"I still don’t understand people that require their keyboards for gigging and making their living jump on a new keyboard like a child jumps on its christmas presents."
This is some great advice. I haven't always heeded it though, and sometimes it will bite you if you jump too soon.
Yamaha does have a good history of having things ready to go when the models are released though.

Yes, yamaha has the best record in buiseness by far.
And yet they have nor clean sheet.

Just to give an example..
Over at our IT departemnt
When there is a new windows version
It takes atleast a year before we install it
Just let others hunt the bugs.

And i put auto update off on my apple devices
Just to give it a few weeks, and see if there are any major problems

And the same goes for keyboards.
Just wait a month or so before software updates
And 6 months before buying.
And i am not even a gigger.

(also you get much better deals 6 months down the road)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#441859 - 12/03/17 11:30 PM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: hammer]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Deane, the Yamaha rep said the "files" were likely corrupted. It was through trial and error I discovered the USER drive was also corrupted.

All the best, Mike

#441860 - 12/03/17 11:38 PM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: DonM]
keybplayer Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Wow, usually the trouble occurs 3 days AFTER you can return it! smile

Yes indeed Don! More often than not the problems seem to happen after the return window expires. If that was the case with my Genos I would've had to ship it up to Yamaha US and I don't think Yammie covers the shipping charge even though it was under warranty.

All the best,

Mike

#441861 - 12/03/17 11:55 PM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: leeboy]
keybplayer Offline

Originally Posted By leeboy
I thought I heard Mike say he HAD to return it or send it in for repairs?? The internal User EPROM was hosed.....Operator error can not cause this issue.....unless you would turn off the board while file transfer is occurring...then maybe. It would be nice for the OS to be able to re-initialise (format) the memory as I'm thinking it's not really bad hardware wise.

Lee, you can actually format the USER flash drive. I tried that a couple times and it supposedly formatted okay. But even though I formatted the USER drive the problem was not resolved.

All the best,

Mike

#441863 - 12/04/17 12:36 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: Dnj]
keybplayer Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I wonder how many owners are also experiencing this problem with GENOS? that being said what is your over all opinion/review of the Genos? and what will be your next purchase for an arranger KB if at all or?

Hi Donny. The Yamaha rep I spoke with wasn't aware of anyone else having the same issue although there are only a few people in North America who currently own the Genos. In fact I was the first person in San Diego to have one. So it's probably too early to gauge the relevance of the issue I encountered. I wanted to inform other Genos owners of the potential hazard so it doesn't happen to them. The best way to insure that is to disable the Auto Power Off feature even though the manual states that when there is activity happening on the keyboard e.g. transferring of files, playing the keyboard, playing songs, etc. the Genos should remain powered on. It is only when there is no activity going on that the Auto Power Off feature powers down the keyboard after a specified time. In theory of course. wink

As far as future plans for a new keyboard I'll probably wait and see what Yammie does with their next firmware update for the Genos to see if they address the issue. If not then I'll probably just wait for Genos 2 and hope for the best. I was hoping Guitar Center in La Mesa, CA had received a second Genos since they were expecting another one soon but they hadn't gotten it yet or else I would have purchased that one.

I would say the Genos is probably the best sounding arranger on the market currently although the Korg Pa4x and Ketron SD9 are excellent arrangers too needless to say. There were some things on the Genos I didn't care for like having to press more things on the touchscreen than I thought were necessary (in some instances) in order to arrive at the spot intended. I wish the LCD screen tilted like the Tyros line did. You can't use the REVO drums in midi songs which was disappointing. The design of the keyboard (the view from the back) is kind of ugly in my opinion. It looks like it has wings and wants to fly away. laugh But overall it has many great features and of course it sounds wonderful which is the Genos' biggest selling point in my opinion.

All the best,

Mike

Edited by keybplayer (12/04/17 12:39 AM)

#441870 - 12/04/17 04:45 AM Re: A warning to all Yamaha Genos owners... [Re: keybplayer]
Brian3331 Offline

Loc: Letterkenny Ireland
Can you not turn power saving off I’m almost sure I did on my genos

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online