SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#441569 - 11/28/17 01:54 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I built a huge piano bar that looked like a piano some years ago. It was for the atmosphere and so the customers could sit up close and personal. It stayed in place for a couple of months then the establishment was sold and I had to take it apart and take it home. Had no place to store it so eventually we took it apart and used the wood for other projects.
It did look really nice though, had candelabra on it even. It had a nice shelf for the arranger and a slightly tilted rack for music or laptop. At that time it was music I think.
Funny, people would get there an hour before I started so they could be sure and get a seat at the "piano" bar. As I recall there was room for about a dozen bar stools. Lots of times the ladies would sit and the guys stand up behind them. Somewhere I have photos...

#441571 - 11/28/17 01:57 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

I look at it this was if I want to be at a piano bar I want a real piano player not a fake one sorry....

#441572 - 11/28/17 02:04 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Never called it a piano bar myself. Most everything we do on arrangers is sort of fake. smile

#441573 - 11/28/17 02:24 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I played for a year + in the 'piano lounge' of an upscale Italian restaurant ... had to set my keyboard up over the keybed of a baby grand because people wanted to sit at the 'piano bar' ...
I had a lot of good nights in that place -Jerry Vale and his family one night, ... a young guy asking me to play "Unchained Melody" while he proposed to his girl friend another night ... lots of fun times ...

#441578 - 11/28/17 02:33 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
My current setup.

Lots of pretty lights, and your name in lights on the top board ... just like on Broadway !!!

#441583 - 11/28/17 03:54 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

see the difference

Edited by Dnj (11/28/17 03:56 PM)

#441587 - 11/28/17 04:17 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I played at a real piano bar for about 4 weeks in Baltimore, Delenote's Restaurant. I had to wear a tux, which I didn't mind at all, mainly because it made me look good to the ladies. In the summer, the tux consisted of a white tuxedo jacket and black tuxedo slacks, satin shirt, bow tie - damned I looked good back then. wink

The piano was a monster Steinway that had about 7 bar stools set up around it, and there were a couple dozen tables in the club area, each with 6 chairs. I played my PSR3000, which was concealed over the keybed of the the Steinway, on an X-stand and perched just a few inches above the piano keys. No one knew the difference, which was a good thing because I was, and still am, a lousy piano player.

After 4 weeks, they fired me because I kept the patrons in the lounge area, where they were sipping $2 draft beers and eating free snacks, while no one was in the restaurant where the food and booze was incredibly expensive. They loved my performances, but the restaurant was losing money every night I performed. It was a fun job and I made lots of money in tips. Sure miss this business.

Attachments
gary.jpg

Edited by travlin'easy (11/28/17 04:17 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441589 - 11/28/17 04:33 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
[quote=Nick G]
Donny - Just curious why would you choose an EA7 knowing the BK9 is out there? im sure u have your reason but would be good to know why.
Cheers

Hi Nick,...The BK9 was on my radar as it was on Frans radar also but it's sought of non existent to try to find one to try or buy at this point. That must mean people love them and aren't selling them.....that said at this time as I only have the EA7 less then a day here that so far I am more then surprised and excited at the same time at what this arranger KB can do and has included inside it wow!
I usually can tell within a few hours if it's a keeper and let me say I honestly stayed away from Roland for whatever reasons for years after have many of their products for a while, mainly saying to myself how can a keyboard at this price range be up to MY needs?....well with Fran always giving me great advice and touting the attributes of the EA7 I have to say at this point he was totally right in so many ways!!,.....this arranger KB is really a hidden gem flying under the "Big Boys" radar but can certainly hold it's own against any of them. I need more time playing with it but I'll tell you I has rejuvenated my excitement to play and enjoy music.I will reserve my more in depth reviews as I go along for sure...
to be continued.................. cool2

I have two BK9s and they do everything I need. Plus the built in VK8 organ which I don't really need for OMB but great if I hook up with a band again.
BTW not selling either, I'm set for,the long haul. Fran told me to get,a,G70 but the weight put me,off coming from the G1000 but he also told me to hang in as something was coming down the pike. Turned out to be th BK-9 Thanks Fran

#441590 - 11/28/17 06:06 PM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: Fran Carango]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Bill How is the keybed / key feel on the bk9 compared to the G70? does it come close? I especially love the black keys on the G70 how they have a "wooden" or "ivory" feel instead of plastic as well as having nice slightly curved / smoothed edges.. and they are extra long and can be pressed easily right at the top of them where they start.

There is a BK9 for sale locally that is in brand new condition for about $1500 USD and I have been very tempted.

#441627 - 11/29/17 11:06 AM Re: G70 styles showcase [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Never played the G70 but the BK9 has a very decent keybed. Full size 76 keys. I prefer a real piano keyboard but for doing organ type things the BK9 is just right. I'm very happy with mine.
That price isn't bad so do some bargaining and good luck

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online