SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#441107 - 11/19/17 05:51 PM setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
How to set up the Songbook (Korg)or the Music Finder? (Yamaha)

Like the Kn7 which I was familiar with the Yamaha’s Music Finder also works with sets of 8 registrations. Some use one registration for each song. Some that are using all 8 registrations for a single song. Korg is very different. Please I’m open for opinions before I set up my S 970.

Before I bought the Pa4x this is what I was using.
My laptop had 5 columns with 23 songs in each one column. (About 115 songs on each page) (EXCEL)

1-Senior songs code AA
2-Big Band code BB
3-Slow to med. Rock Code CC
4-Rock up tempo (Disco included) Code DD
5-Ethnic, Polka, Waltz and Patriotic. Code EE
When I enter the code into keyboard and the same list appeared.

Each year I added and deleted songs in the list keeping the list up to date.

John C.

#441109 - 11/19/17 06:22 PM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John, Yamaha's Music Finder and Registrations are two, entirely different things. The Music Finder Directory (MFD) is essentially a miniaturized version of a registration, in that it can only save the song title, tempo, style, intro and variation.

A registration bank, which consists of 8 separate registrations can save nearly every feature on the keyboard in a single location. Therefore, when I registration is stored it can selectively save: song title, style, tempo, variation, right hand voice(s), mic setting, pedal setting, intro, lyrics, midi file, and more on the newer keyboards.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441111 - 11/19/17 07:11 PM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
John, What a conincidence I use the Pa4x and S970. cool Songbook in the Korg is tops but when it comes to the S970 I use the MFD system and registrations. I usually use registrations to change voices, but lately I’ve been using registrations to choose, style, key, volumes etc. As far as the MFD system, I use keywords on every tune. The simplest example Is Christmas, i use the keyword Xmas, then when I want to pull up all Christmas tunes I do a keyword search using the “search 1 or search 2” once the search is completed I have all the tunes for Christmas listed so I have a playlist for Christmas.

With Korg Songbook I do something similar except I use “genre” and assign a number again with the Christmas example I use the number 9, for Christmas tunes and use the filter and again that yeilds me a list of Christmas tunes.

ON another note Yamaha’s new Genos allows the user to save registrations in a Playlist. Seems they took a lesson from Korg’s Songbook.

#441113 - 11/19/17 07:49 PM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

I guess they must have read all of Donny's post that said they should take a lesson from Korg. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

#441119 - 11/20/17 01:38 AM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: Stephenm52]
bruno123 Offline

Steve it is not a coincidence, you and my friend Ed are the main reasons I bought the S970. It is not better than the Pa4x, but it does bring pleasure and enjoyment in a different way.

I like my laptop because I can see 115 song titles without changing the page. Select a song – when I close the song the list is there.

There is also another reason; about 25 years ago I purchased Encore a music writing program. I have been adding songs as I needed them. Since it is a music/notes writing program when I open a song I have more songs with the same flavor – Let’s say I have 5 songs, the 5 names are listed on each page with numbers 1 to 5. One click and I have 5 songs of the same flavor. So now the list page contains far more than 115 songs.

I can change the key and add whatever I come up with. I cannot share my Encore list unless people have the same updated program. If I was using the PDF format no changes would be possible – and they are not as clear.

So “Gary the Wizard”, and say that with much respect ---- give me what you feel would be a good way to set up the S970 with the laptop.
John C.

PS, Because I am no longer playing out – if I had to sell one of my keyboards t would be the Pa4x.

#441121 - 11/20/17 04:10 AM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

does genos save registration to the MFD with TRANSPOSE or not like all the tyros/psr/s units ?

Edited by Dnj (11/20/17 05:38 AM)

#441122 - 11/20/17 04:32 AM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Steve it is not a coincidence, you and my friend Ed are the main reasons I bought the S970. It is not better than the Pa4x, but it does bring pleasure and enjoyment in a different way.

John, I had an idea it may have been Ed and/or I that had some influence smile

Originally Posted By Dnj
does genos save registration with TRANSPOSE or not like all the tyros/psr/s units ?

Donny, As far as I know transpose is saved is saved like all the PSR/Tyros boards, the difference is they can be put in a Playlist that from what I saw looks similar to the MFD listings but with lots more choices. I spoke to one of our members who uses both Pa4x and Genos on gigs, he tells me he prefers the power of registrations over Songbook at least for the band gigs he's playing. It comes around full circle that's why they make vanilla ice cream and Chunky Monkey, a product for all tastes.

#441131 - 11/20/17 05:37 AM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Originally Posted By bruno123

John, I had an idea it may have been Ed and/or I that had some influence smile

Originally Posted By Dnj
does genos save registration with TRANSPOSE or not like all the tyros/psr/s units ?

Donny, As far as I know transpose is saved is saved like all the PSR/Tyros boards, the difference is they can be put in a Playlist that from what I saw looks similar to the MFD listings but with lots more choices. I spoke to one of our members who uses both Pa4x and Genos on gigs, he tells me he prefers the power of registrations over Songbook at least for the band gigs he's playing. It comes around full circle that's why they make vanilla ice cream and Chunky Monkey, a product for all tastes.

Steve Im talking about saving TRANSPOSE to the MFD not registrations?

#441133 - 11/20/17 05:51 AM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Donny, No with Yamaha arrangers prior to Genos you cannot, but I know you know that. IN Genos they have eliminated the MFD system as we both know it on s970, other S and Tyros boards. With Genos you take a registration they save it to what they call a Playlist, you can have many playlists depending on your gig or choice of tunes.

#441135 - 11/20/17 06:43 AM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
As I understand it, MFD is gone. Playlist is a way to organize your registrations in a list form. The transpose would be saved in the registration itself.

#441141 - 11/20/17 09:01 AM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

John,

In many ways, my setup is similar to Ed's. I use the laptop primarily for lyrics. The files are stored in a single folder and stored by song title. Therefore, by merely pressing the first letter of the title, the PC takes me to the first song in that letter.

Now, Ed using registrations to access his song settings, where I mainly use the Music Finder Directory. However, I also use about 300 registrations - depending upon the song.

In order to use registrations and have everything on a single, scrollable page, you will have to use an entire bank of registrations for a single song. In doing this, it allows you a great amount of versatility with each song selected, thus allowing you to select a host of parameter changes on the fly at the push of a single button.

Using the Music Finder Directory limits you to some degree, but not as much as some folks would like you to believe. With my setup, I indicate the key that I sing the song in within the song title on the MFD in parenthesis. The beauty of the MFD, of course, is that all the song titles are on a single page and selection is instantaneous with the push of a single button. This provides you with a seamless performance with less than a second of dead time between songs if you wish. The downsides, if any, is that you cannot store the transpose. Therefore, for those that only play in the key of "C" but sing in another key, you will have to use the transpose button, which is quick and easy. Additionally, you will have to use the OTS settings, which I frequently find are very, very good selections for the associated variations. Now, if you do not want to use those OTS settings, you can merely turn on the OTS link and select any voice you wish. I have a half dozen or more of them in my custom voice page, which I can quickly select from.

Now, I don't read music, therefore, for the songs that I need to know the chord changes, I have the guitar tabs over the words of the songs in my lyrics pages. Usually, once I have performed a song a few times, I no longer have to look at the lyrics again, but then there are those times when the brain farts occur and I cannot remember the first word of the song I have performed hundreds of times - that's when I have to use the PC.

Here's a link to how I use the MFD. Please excuse the mistakes as I was trying to explain what was doing and not concentrating on playing at the time.

Hope this helps, but if you need more help, email me your phone number and I will be more than happy to call you at your convenience.

Gary cool

#441147 - 11/20/17 10:28 AM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Gary uses the MFD VERY effectively....and while I find his system of saving one song to one of the eight registration buttons to be confusing....he has it nailed. And his Console...as seen in his post above, is genius.

I prefer using an entire registration bank per song giving me the ability to save transposes, go to different voices, activate harmonizer, even change styles within a song, link MP3 and MIDI files to individual song registrations....etc.

John's multiple systems for the multiple keyboards he has or had all work for him. And he is always looking for alternate systems from which he could benefit. In my visits to his home he has shed light on the concepts he uses for different boards...but I have not worked with some of those concepts long enough to feel comfortable with them. He uses Encore...which doesn't apply to me. But he put me onto OnSong and OnSong console, which I have come to use a lot for lyrics. I love his PA 4x....and bet I could learn to us it given a little time. He even offered to let me take it home to learn more about it. What a guy....but I couldn't do that for the same reason I would never borrow his car. smile

I admire Steve's, DonM's and Donny's abilities to move seamlessly from one KB to another. But it has taken me years just to get where I am with Yamaha.

Ed

#441152 - 11/20/17 12:43 PM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: btweengigs]
bruno123 Offline

Ed you wanted my car too?

John C.

#441156 - 11/20/17 03:34 PM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By btweengigs

I admire Steve's, DonM's and Donny's abilities to move seamlessly from one KB to another. But it has taken me years just to get where I am with Yamaha.
Ed

When I had to 'convert' from technics to KORG I found the OS difference daunting the first week ... with the help of people on this forum, especially Donny (Dnj), within a couple of weeks I was doing ok with it ... then I started applying the 'logic' from one OS to the other, and everything fell into place ...
I have never owned a Yamaha, but I would THINK that using the same approach I would be able to get a handle on it before too long ...
No, I am not thinking GENOS ...

I will say that my 'business world' experience working with different computer OS over the course of 40 years MIGHT give me a slight edge ...

computer

#441158 - 11/20/17 04:28 PM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, I am confident that you could easily learn the Yamaha OS in no time at all, especially with your computer background.

Now, if I sell the sailboat before I'm dead, then Frankie will be getting a phone call. Everything I have heard on You Tube has been fantastic sounding, IMO.

All the best,

Gary cool

#441164 - 11/20/17 05:41 PM Re: setting up Pa4x and S970 Registration [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By btweengigs

Ed

When I had to 'convert' from technics to KORG I found the OS difference daunting the first week ... with the help of people on this forum, especially Donny (Dnj), within a couple of weeks I was doing ok with it ... then I started applying the 'logic' from one OS to the other, and everything fell into place ...
I have never owned a Yamaha, but I would THINK that using the same approach I would be able to get a handle on it before too long ...
No, I am not thinking GENOS ...

I will say that my 'business world' experience working with different computer OS over the course of 40 years MIGHT give me a slight edge ...

computer

Tony you did well Grasshopper clap ......enjoy KORG it's an amazing instrument.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online