SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#441244 - 11/22/17 10:55 AM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Bachus]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Bachus: I know you realize the feature set you’re interested in is irrelevant to the majority of Genos buyers. Hence your Kronos and 4X. Both deep machines.

If you want the sounds and simplicity of operation...Genos seems to satisfy that type of user.

Interesting point about sales figures. Where did you get your information if you don’t mind me asking.

#441257 - 11/22/17 01:21 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: jingleman]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Bachus: I know you realize the feature set you’re interested in is irrelevant to the majority of Genos buyers. Hence your Kronos and 4X. Both deep machines.

If you want the sounds and simplicity of operation...Genos seems to satisfy that type of user.

Interesting point about sales figures. Where did you get your information if you don’t mind me asking.

The point is that yamaha wants to pull new buyers to their money cow the Genos... to do so, they need to add features to pull in new people... and not just stick to the features that keeps the current group of users happy...

Yamaha pretends they are pushing the Genos into the workstation area, just to try and pull in new people.. like previous motif users.. pa4x owners... composers... younger people... but as said they are just pretending, they are not adding any new features at all that would peek these groups interest..

The Genos is at it is, an arranger... and not a workstation at all. To me writing the word workstation on the box, is the same as trying to sell a sedan as a sportscar... they are both cars.. to put it blunt, yamaha is outrightnlying and cheating by calling the Genos a workstation... and that is a kick in the balls for people like me that are actually wayting for a true workstation with arranger capabilities..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#441258 - 11/22/17 01:39 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

agreed bachus anyone can see watching all these demos on you tube that the audience is senior citizens, NOT Young new players who want nothing to do with or understand an arranger style of music at all.....why aren't those audiences filled with young musicians? the new age is making music in new ways period no need for an arranger its archaic to them in so many ways lets be honest....there is a major split in our culture in music and that's the way it is until we are all gone and the new generation is alone to create their music.....things changed too fast and the old ways still linger in the new for a little while longer and us oldie folks are trying to hold on like Yamaha is doing with their so called "new Workstation"....
just too many branches on the tree and too many cooks in the kitchen nowadays...the ship is sinking slowly keep bailing my friends stay afloat with what ever you play for now ....
Happy Thanxgiving to All

#441261 - 11/22/17 01:54 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By Dnj
agreed bachus anyone can see watching all these demos on you tube that the audience is senior citizens, NOT Young new players who want nothing to do with or understand an arranger style of music at all.....why aren't those audiences filled with young musicians? the new age is making music in new ways period no need for an arranger its archaic to them in so many ways lets be honest....there is a major split in our culture in music and that's the way it is until we are all gone and the new generation is alone to create their music.....things changed too fast and the old ways still linger in the new for a little while longer and us oldie folks are trying to hold on like Yamaha is doing with their so called "new Workstation"....
just too many branches on the tree and too many cooks in the kitchen nowadays...the ship is sinking slowly keep bailing my friends stay afloat with what ever you play for now ....
Happy Thanxgiving to All

Donnie
That was well said !

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#441262 - 11/22/17 01:55 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: leeboy]
Jaruga71 Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
Originally Posted By leeboy
OK...how much did you guys pay for discounted T5??

$3700 including tax, 3 months after lounched.

Regards.

#441266 - 11/22/17 02:26 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: rphillipchuk]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By rphillipchuk
Originally Posted By Dnj
Happy Thanxgiving to All

Donnie
That was well said !

thank you sir just my feelings on the subject..

#441267 - 11/22/17 02:49 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Bachus]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I agree that the term “Workstation” has become somewhat of a misnomer regarding the current state of arrangers versus modern day synths.

It appears that both arrangers and synth workstations are melding into new category of instrument. The term workstation has meant something unique in the music keyboard world for a long time. Maybe a more specific term should be adopted. After all, we have computer workstations, digital photography workstations, music workstations, etc.

The term workstation has become a generic term for digital work domain. To argue that it means anything more than that appears moot. I suppose we could use more specificity like...arranger workstation, synth workstation, drum workstation, etc. As I write this...I think I’ve heard these terms before. Don’t mind me...I’ve just taken a pain pill for my recent knee surgery.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

#441269 - 11/22/17 03:33 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A workstation is a special computer designed for technical or scientific applications. Intended primarily to be used by one person at a time, they are commonly connected to a local area network and run multi-user operating systems. The term workstation has also been used loosely to refer to everything from a mainframe computer terminal to a PC connected to a network, but the most common form refers to the group of hardware offered by several current and defunct companies such as Sun Microsystems, Silicon Graphics, Apollo Computer, DEC, HP, NeXT and IBM which opened the door for the 3D graphics animation revolution of the late 1990s.

Workstations offered higher performance than mainstream personal computers, especially with respect to CPU and graphics, memory capacity, and multitasking capability. Workstations were optimized for the visualization and manipulation of different types of complex data such as 3D mechanical design, engineering simulation (e.g., computational fluid dynamics), animation and rendering of images, and mathematical plots. Typically, the form factor is that of a desktop computer, consist of a high resolution display, a keyboard and a mouse at a minimum, but also offer multiple displays, graphics tablets, 3D mice (devices for manipulating 3D objects and navigating scenes), etc. Workstations were the first segment of the computer market to present advanced accessories and collaboration tools.

The increasing capabilities of mainstream PCs in the late 1990s have blurred the lines somewhat with technical/scientific workstations[citation needed]. The workstation market previously employed proprietary hardware which made them distinct from PCs; for instance IBM used RISC-based CPUs for its workstations and Intel x86 CPUs for its business/consumer PCs during the 1990s and 2000s. However, by the early 2000s this difference disappeared, as workstations now use highly commoditized hardware dominated by large PC vendors, such as Dell, Hewlett-Packard (later HP Inc.) and Fujitsu, selling Microsoft Windows or Linux systems running on x86-64 architecture such as Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron CPUs.

So, after reading the above, how many folks on this forum really want a workstation? Lets see a show of hands. Not me - I just want to play music and sing, and you know what, the Genos, call it what you or they wish, will do a great job for anyone with similar desires.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441271 - 11/22/17 03:50 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hey Gary. Since Uncle Dave called you the "grammer (or spelling) police", I'll do the same to you smile smile. You neglected to use quotes in you post above, thereby depriving Wikipedia of it's proper credit and possibly leaving us to believe that that wealth of knowledge on the origin and development of computer workstations came directly from you. We know you wouldn't want us to have that erroneous impression (which is why I mentioned it smile ).

chas

#441272 - 11/22/17 04:28 PM Re: How many think Genos is too EXPENSIVE & Why? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Doesn't matter what you call these things...they all started with home organs...and many of the buyers are getting them as a MUCH cheaper alternative...go price a Roland or Lowrey today...WOW, it will knock your socks off. Genos is cheap by those standards and can do as well or better with that type of playing. If you chop off the LH section and put it below...and add pedals it is a home organ (a GREAT sounding one at that) and you play it like we did on organs for decades. A lot of groups here where I live (On Top Of The World, Ocala,FL) are using MIDI backing tracks or audio background and 1 or 2 singers....much easier and to most (not me) of us old folks sounds just as good or better than an arranger does.

My ultimate setup would be the Genos with Tyros Magic V-console, a second lower kbd and maybe some pedals...for a FRACTION of the cost of a organ of today. I may even build a nice cabinet for it (I belong to the wood shop here with cabinet making quality people and equipment). Actually I can do that with a T5 and be pretty happy...and save some $$.

Because I want a home organ with terrific sounds bacl...but don't have $30k - 100k to spend!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online